Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 07:33 AM

460 posts, read 593,054 times

Advertisements

How do we know for sure that every one does not live to a ripe old age?

Thirty years ago, I hypostulated a question:

1. Everyone lives in their own universe.

2. Things that happen to other people happen only in our own individual universe, but not necessarily in the universes of the affected persons.

3. Everyone gets to live to a ripe old age of 100, just to pick an arbritray point.

What with all the talk of multiverse these days from the scientific community, my very old out-of-this-world thought might not be so farfetched.

-----

Another thought:

If this world is death (I mean, we eat death to remain alive), and then becomes a kind of prison, the "sentencing" of our souls, if you will, should not be the same. Same with most crimes, at least in the free world, that murder and shoplifting do not or should not carry the same penalties.

If every soul has a purpose in this life, then how does one measure the length of "Earth" time to fulfill it.

I submit that a baby living only hours old fulfilled its purpose. I saw this in discussions with the parents. Even the few hours in the presence of their child changed their lives. And maybe that is the only purpose one life had: to change other people's lives.

But then I'll be falling back on another philosophical dilemma. If 100 is the optimum (or mandatory), what is to be accomplished? And, who will be the judge of whatever is accomplished?

Will that accomplishment be something physical? material? spiritual? humanitarian?

Now here is a comforting thought (): that after all is said and done on this material plane, successful or not in our endeavors, we get to start all over, on square one, without prior knowledge and experience, to do what? Everything all over again. And again. And again. Ad nauseum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 07:41 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I don't have an "issue" with death, but think it is "unfair" that "God" lets people die randomly - it would be much better if everyone died of old age . . .

And that's not fair!

I am going to take to the streets in protest.
1. You're assuming that such deaths actually happen randomly--or that in some cases, they don't.

2. "Fair" is a subjective concept.

3. Be careful when you're out there in the streets protesting. (If you got hit by a car and died, do you think that would have occurred randomly?)

Old 05-08-2012, 08:42 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
When people die "before their time," the ones left behind are affected...
Because they want to be affected. One can be affected as little or as much as they want. It's wholly subjective.

Quote:
... - and that affects their karma - ...
No such thing as karma. If there is, then the fate of the US is that of an occupied 3rd World State.

Quote:
...if they can't get over an unexpected death, their entire life can be ruined.
But that is subjective and not objective. Again, people are affected as much or as little as they want to be by the death of another.

Karmatically...

Mircea

Old 05-08-2012, 02:20 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,975,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
if things happen when they are supposed to ,surely that means that free will is a myth ? , that everything is pre determined

Bingo.
You win the prize.
Bob.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:21 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,426 times
Quote:
I don't have an "issue" with death, but think it is "unfair" that "God" lets people die randomly - it would be much better if everyone died of old age . . .

When people die "before their time," the ones left behind are affected - and that affects their karma - if they can't get over an unexpected death, their entire life can be ruined.

And that's not fair!

I am going to take to the streets in protest.

My thoughts on dying "before your time".

Disclaimer: (I've never lost a young person closes to me and I hope that I never do, so I acknoweldge that it's easier to philosophize about something than to actually experience it).

It does suck for the people left behind. No doubt about it. It's up to those people to figure out how to move forward from their loss. Of course it leaves a huge void in your life. But, staying miserable for the rest of your life is not going to help the person we've lost. It's not going to help anything.

At some point, we need to choose to keep living. Blaming God or "fate", or that damn drunk driver, isn't going to bring them back. It will only continue to fester within you. If you allow that to stay in your soul (or mind) it isn't "their fault" it's your (figuratively) fault, for allowing it to contaminate your life.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:26 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You've clearly not reached old age yet. Watch someone die of old age, and you may re-think your position.

Please explain.

I watched my mother die - it took 18 days and we had to make the choice to remove life support - then it took another several hours.

NOW I am watching my father die. So far it's been a slow process. I started the day my mother went into her coma 4 years ago. He is slowly dying every day he has Parkinsons or dystonia or some such degenerative neurological disorder.

I share this only to explain that I know what it is to watch someone die, yet I do not understand what you are trying to get at with your comment.

Please explain.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:40 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Because they want to be affected. One can be affected as little or as much as they want. It's wholly subjective.

No such thing as karma. If there is, then the fate of the US is that of an occupied 3rd World State.

But that is subjective and not objective. Again, people are affected as much or as little as they want to be by the death of another.

Karmatically...

Mircea

so when people are upset by anything from thier child dieing in a car accident to discovering thier other half is cheating on them , thats a choice , no need for it

Old 05-08-2012, 03:43 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
My thoughts on dying "before your time".

Disclaimer: (I've never lost a young person closes to me and I hope that I never do, so I acknoweldge that it's easier to philosophize about something than to actually experience it).

It does suck for the people left behind. No doubt about it. It's up to those people to figure out how to move forward from their loss. Of course it leaves a huge void in your life. But, staying miserable for the rest of your life is not going to help the person we've lost. It's not going to help anything.

At some point, we need to choose to keep living. Blaming God or "fate", or that damn drunk driver, isn't going to bring them back. It will only continue to fester within you. If you allow that to stay in your soul (or mind) it isn't "their fault" it's your (figuratively) fault, for allowing it to contaminate your life.
why would someone choose to be miserable or to let some traumatic event consume and destroy them ? , i imagine thier are a miniscule minority of masochists who get off on feeling like crap but id bet the vast majority are simply overwhelmed and cannot help feeling the way they do , i think that is the most sensible and logical conclusion

Old 05-08-2012, 04:35 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
See there is demonic spirits that can manipulate the flesh of man , and Jesus Christ Holy Spirit calls them ` Cognitive mind disruptor demons , gland disruptor demons, mobility disruptor demons, abdomen disruptor demon spirits ..... All this dark spirits can challenge the body were illness and obesity and deformities can be formed and bring discomfort and can shorten a life ..... But through knowing Lord Jesus spirit, you can rid most of these spirits out of your life and keep the rest at bay through repentance and prayer.......

Old 05-08-2012, 04:52 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
The randomness and uncertainty of one's longevity on earth confronts our notions of the nature of life ... at a higher level. We all know intellectually that everyone (including us) will die, however, we struggle with the inner certainty that some part of us will live on. (Try, for example, to imagine your own death as other than a spectator ...Your spirit resists the imposition of that temporary fleshly mold!).

So all must deal with the inevitable questions: 'Why do I exist?' ... 'Do I have a purpose beyond simply existing for as long as I am able?' and 'What do I really do (in the core of my being) with the inborn knowledge that there is a God .... and I'm not Him?' -- The often temporary nature of this life does not allow us to 'comfortably' postpone this type of thinking on an indefinite basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality