Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:10 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Wasn't Thomas Jefferson banging some of the black women who were his slaves back in the day? Outside the fact that he designed the Rotunda and initial quad at the University of Virginia, it's hard to have any respect for him IF that was really true. How does it make him any different from John Edwards? A less expensive haircut?

Carry on...
You can't judge men of the past by current moral standards. What he was doing was common place. Acceptable even.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:44 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Eventually everyone is going to be a Christian.
Thanks for the chuckle there lee, that's a whoot.......

Eventually you will be just like the cockroach looking for something to eat in your kitchen, dead and done.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You can't judge men of the past by current moral standards. What he was doing was common place. Acceptable even.
How about 2,000 years ago

And how has this guide book of morals christians base their moral standards change in the last 200 years? How often is it updated, every couple of decades, perhaps centuries. Oh wait, it still contains the ignorance of the bronze age, only the agenda of the reader has changed.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The majority is always wrong-George Bernard Shaw....in other words MOST people are stupid...that is one of the failings of democracy- that who ever gains the majority gains power- In other words the dumb people rule the roost.
Yep, the power of stupid people in large groups, that is exactly what is happening.

As for the intelligence of most people....... well a vast majority believe in some version of some guy in the sky, so yep, pretty stupid. The really amazing part is how prideful they are about it.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:59 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

Eventually you will be just like the cockroach looking for something to eat in your kitchen, dead and done.
You certainly don't have a very positive outlook on things. How sad. I have comfort in the certainty of life after death.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
You certainly don't have a very positive outlook on things. How sad. I have comfort in the certainty of life after death.
There is nothing negative about it, if fact it is a very positive outlook, that is the reality of life on this rock, put on your big boy (or girl) pants and deal with it. I will not practice self-delusion about some fairy tale existence after I'm done here, we will all be just dead, and will exist only in the memories of those that cared for us.

I'm living for the now, not wasting a minute on what does not exist later. How sad many spend so much time and effort kowtowing and groveling to their imaginary friend seeking enough "glory tickets" to get into an imaginary place that does not exist.

What a waste, what could you accomplish if you concentrated on living instead of dying. Of course you will not be disappointed when you die, nor will you be pleased, you will just be dead, like every other single living creature on this little rock we evolved on.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Just remember one thing being gay is not a probelm but acting upon it is
Thank you. Correct. Resist the Devil and he will flee.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
you will not be disappointed when you die, nor will you be pleased, you will just be dead, like every other single living creature on this little rock we evolved on.
Upon this we disagree.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:19 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,605 times
BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS
"And When I Die"

I'm not scared of dying,
And I don't really care.
If it's peace you find in dying,
Well then let the time be near.
If it's peace you find in dying,
And if dying time is here,
Just bundle up my coffin
'Cause it's cold way down there.
I hear that its cold way down there
Yeah, crazy cold way down there.

[Chorus:]
And when I die, and when I'm gone,
There'll be one child born
In this world to carry on,
to carry on.

Now troubles are many, they're as deep as a well.
I can swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.
Swear there ain't no heaven and I pray there ain't no hell,
But I'll never know by living, only my dying will tell.
Yes only my dying will tell.
Yeah, only my dying will tell.

[Chorus]

Give me my freedom for as long as I be.
All I ask of living is to have no chains on me.
All I ask of living is to have no chains on me,
And all I ask of dying is to go naturally.
Oh I want to go naturally.

Here I go,
Hey Hey!
Here comes the devil,
Right Behind.
Look out children,
Here he comes!
Here he comes! Hey...

Don't want to go by the devil.
Don't want to go by demon.
Don't want to go by Satan,
Don't want to die uneasy.
Just let me go naturally.

and when I die,
When I'm dead, dead and gone,
There'll be one child born in our world to carry on,
To carry on.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:33 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,715,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The founding fathers of the United States founded this country on Biblical principles.
Not at all - they explicitly left out the religious parts of the 10 commandments, for example.

But if you're saying we should blindly follow everything that the founders of this country did, can you remind us again how many slaves Thomas Jefferson owned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality