Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 09:06 AM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
The point is that the morality you keep inventing and going on about is based on an assumption you have done nothing to establish is true - that our existence here has some "purpose" which in any way fuels morality. If you want to pretend otherwise then as you say "suit yourself" but lets drop the tantrums when other people do not make the same assumptions as yourself.
I invented nothing. Morality has a long (if inglorious provenance). I simply question its existence as a legitimate construct . . . if there is NOT a purpose for our species to exist. It makes more sense to simply call it what it is . . . subjective normative ethics determined by consensus or power or whatever and enforced by society . . . in addition to the laws of said society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 09:12 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,605 times
Mystic and Monumentus, please take this duel of your elsewhere, it is getting rather mundane this morality argument in every frigging thread.

I do not agree with Mystic on many things but I sure as hell am not tailgating him (or anyone) on every thread to argue with him.

This I am sure is getting other folk pee'ed off just like me.

Mods please take this as a open complaint as this is really getting old.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:33 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
What the hell is wrong with the word scro tum??
God prefers we use the term "foreskin."

Old 05-18-2012, 10:16 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default "Here come de proof! Here come de proof!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
The assumption on your part is that I believed this way prior to my education. I was Humanist Agnostic not Christian.

There is no evidence supporting evolution, only concepts the evolutionists believe supports evolution.
And... there it is again. as predictable as rain in Seattle! Another blatantly useless and purposefully prevaricatious () claim! And just as useful, believable and enjoyable!

So let's talk here, Mikelee:

√ Say you obtain a sample of a known bacterial species, (let's say... e. coli) all from the same original stock. Genetically identical clones.

Key thing here: No genetic diversity.

Got it so far? Y or N?

√ Then, you let them reproduce under normal conditions and you take a clean sample for each and every generation, and you securely store those generational samples somewhere safe.

Still with me? Y or N?

√ As you watch and wait for a really long time, let's say, oh....22 years, with over 32,000 generations all safely saved, the new fangled science of DNA genome-mapping arrives on the scene.

Now, I'll hope you understand the current infallibility of DNA genome mapping, since it now allows us to statistically sample and document THE EXACT GENOME/allele pattern for any organism, but certainly it's so very easy for a relatively simple e. coli bacterium.

√ Anyhow, you note something at about gen. 28,000 or so (PS: I'm doing this from memory, as will every school kid in the next few years, if their parents allow them to take intro biology or science..) but as with any great scientific research, it's all documented in the peer-reviewed and then journal-published paper...).

√ You notice a particular mutation, one of the many that have persistently occurred (and documented... so pah-leeezzze: no denials that mutation occurs...). This observed mutation alters one of the original species' defining qualities in that the new one can now digest an always-previously available nutrient in the Petri™ dish's consistent and controlled gel-agar.

√ This newfound genetically facilitated ability re-defines this species into, wow! A new species! But then, this also cascades and facilitates several other "waiting in the wings" abilities, so that, in a spectacularly short time, some (as I defined it in my own post-grad genetics research... "Evolutionary Vectoring™") new abilities show up without any more mutations required.

√ It's now well on it's way to becoming a veritable exponentially growing and "variating" host of entirely new organisms! Just like in the primordial oceans of yore, By Goll! And long LONG before the illiterate and fear-driven biblical myth was made up. In fact, millions and millions of years before the man-ego construct of a God was invented. (For that relentless silliness there's manure-sized loads of inarguable evidence, btw. Unlike the obvious evidence FOR Evolution, which you so obviously choose to ignore and deny..)

√ This is exactly the same sort of "facilitated and cascading" thing, btw, that happened often in the Cambrian Explosion, that event you Christian guys always try to redefine and manipulate into "The banal redefinition of the day" (you approach scientific discoveries sorta like going into a Baskin-Robbins 34 flavor outlet, right? "So! What'll it be today, sir?")

But I digress. You still with me, Mikelee? Y or N?

√ In summary: after a lengthy observation and analysis time (but not really, in earth evolution time... Still...) we have one defined species (the characteristics of which we define, not you..., else it would get changed each week to suit your ancient and illogical arguments) which, OMG!, through observed & fully documented mutation and trial and error testing by the unintelligent organism entirely on it's own, produced a new species that then occupied an previously unoccupied "niche". The "citrate eatin'" niche!

√ But then, the two of them remained in existence, the later citrate digestion one not kicking the other one out, since the first species occupied a separately available niche, and did not interfere with Species 2's intents and ecological/environmental utilization. (This also rather easily denies the equally inane idea that is so often bloviated by the stubborn and uneducated: "Well, nyah nyah... if we evolved from the ape, how come they are still here, Nyah nyah!???"

√ First off, just to correct that common and oft-repeated bloviational error again, we did not evolve from the apes, but rather alongside (as in: co-evolution from a proto-ancestor...); and secondly, because we did not inherit nor dominate their species' required niche(s).

√ So, to totally refute your inane comment that "There is no evidence supporting evolution, only concepts the evolutionists believe supports evolution"....

..then please, by all means, explain this progression of fossil and remnant finds we now have such a great collection of!

Image Detail for - http://anthropologynet.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/fossil-hominid-skulls.jpg

Also explain why we can detect both the frequency and type of serial and parallel genome changes in the array of mammals that lead up to modern man? You saying it's all faked? All lies? Doesn't exist except in the mind of scientists?

How odd yet convenient, huh Micklee! and you aren't just a weeny bit suspect of all the frantic fundy denialist rants? You, with your well-educated and open mind?

You still here, Micklee? You still with me? Y or N?

√ Did you fully understand this amazing bit of recent (2008) research which anyone can download, study and refute? Or even duplicate? [I(heaven forbid.. I mean, literally: heaven would likely forbid such logical stuff...)[/i]

What with your pre-med background and all, this should be a piece of cake, eh? Dr. Richard Lenski has also rather generously offered to provide any of the DNA species studied to anyone who is serious. And yet, not one Christian-backed ethical and honest research group (is there such a thing, I wonder... Hmmm...) with any integrity, has come forward and requested those samples. Why is that, Mikelee? Hmmm?

Micklee? Hellooooooo

Last edited by rifleman; 05-18-2012 at 10:28 AM..

Old 05-18-2012, 11:27 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
God prefers we use the term "foreskin."
I'm almost sure that when Paul uses the term 'circumcision' he is not referring to those members of the Jesus party who are of the scrote removal. That as a prelude to a compliment, Rifleman to a very telling response to a pretty boneheaded piece of denialism from MikeLee. It is one thing to be doubtful of evolution theory, it is another to have no proper understanding of it. It is far beyond that to assert that there is nothing going for it but 'concepts'.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:36 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

Micklee? Hellooooooo
As usual, good post but cue the "they stillz be bugz" refutation.

Lee wants to see a crockoduck before he will believe/accept evolution.

Or

Which is more in line with god mythologies

Old 05-18-2012, 12:21 PM

707 posts, read 687,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Yes, the mousetrap must have all five pieces there to work.........AS A MOUSETRAP!!!! Take away the metal pieces and you are left with a peice of wood which one could find a use for. You could almost certainly find a use for that spring after removing it. As well as the ther pieces. Your argument has been shown to be invalid several times, and the fact that you have failed to adress it tells me you aren't even reading the replies but insead engaging in a session of re-pasta re-pasta re-pasta

Oh, so then you agree with us Atheists that it doesn't exist and can't be used as evidence of a God? Thats good!

LOL, dont waste any more time Seeker, they aren't even reading your posts.... obviously.....
Good advice for Seeker. But you should have said don't waste your time copying and pasting. People are more interested in your own words.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:30 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Absolutely. While genetic change through mutation is demonstrable bot through human agency (breeding) and naturally (adaptation of parasites to survive methods of exterminating them, with the argument that, given enough time, such changes will result is a seriously changed species and even then if (as has be argued with horse evolution), they are all 'kinds' of horse - the 'still be bugs' argument - we find examples of speciation in bugs and weeds, even I find it hard to really see a different species. The fact is that the only evidence the anti -evolution brigade would have to stop and think about is the sort of ambulocetus to whale. For example, a species of seal which went totally fish -shaped or a cat that developed gliding membranes.

That is rather like the transition fossils of Darwin - they should have been there but he hadn't seen any any. And just as they eventually turned up, is it beyond hope that we really do one day see a real change of speciation - type?

Of course there would be a pause while the deniers rushed for the next trench of 'just because it is happening now doesn't mean it happened then - were there there to watch? (which I doubt even the speakers would believe a good argument as they said it) and of course 'doesn't apply to human evolution' which is a bit better, but still contending against real evidence rather than pointing to a lack of it.

At the moment, the evidence for evolution, though massive and telling is not the sort that would stop a creationist dead in mid - denial.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:33 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,286 times
Totally aside, I also would like to see a crocoduck! Do they make good pets? What does one feed a crocoduck? Can they be litter trained? Enquiring minds want to know!

-NoCapo

Old 05-18-2012, 01:04 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I'm almost sure that when Paul uses the term 'circumcision' he is not referring to those members of the Jesus party who are of the scrote removal. That as a prelude to a compliment, Rifleman to a very telling response to a pretty boneheaded piece of denialism from MikeLee. It is one thing to be doubtful of evolution theory, it is another to have no proper understanding of it. It is far beyond that to assert that there is nothing going for it but 'concepts'.
Hahaha, that's what posting on no sleep will do for me. But you very obviously are right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality