Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 08:49 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else ever noticed a distinct paranoid tone to some of the Psalms?

Obviously, I'm not referring to the more popular ones. They are usually seen as being uplifting and joyful. But there is a turn in some of the later Psalms to a definite "darker" tone.

I'm not pointing the finger at anyone. I think the reason that the Psalms have endured for so long in popularity is because they speak to something that is common inside of all men.

Not just believers, but nonbelievers as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 12:04 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
Oh, people noticed, and gave them their own classification: imprecatory psalms.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:08 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Oh, people noticed, and gave them their own classification: imprecatory psalms.
I guess that is the classification. But I'm looking at just one aspect.

It seems like it's the attitude of a minority group living within a larger oppressive majority society. The existence of the Psalms would give credence to things like the Black Lives Matter type groups. The Jews were at that point a minority group in that ancient empire.

The reason I reject Christianity today is because the American form of it seems like the evil empire in Star Wars. The true church should more closely resemble the rebels, which would be on the side of progressive social justice. And the Christians in America are certainly not like that. They are much more into supporting and giving more and more power to the upper classes.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:40 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

It seems like it's the attitude of a minority group living within a larger oppressive majority society. The existence of the Psalms would give credence to things like the Black Lives Matter type groups. The Jews were at that point a minority group in that ancient empire.

The reason I reject Christianity today is because the American form of it seems like the evil empire in Star Wars. The true church should more closely resemble the rebels, which would be on the side of progressive social justice. And the Christians in America are certainly not like that. They are much more into supporting and giving more and more power to the upper classes.
Considering many of them were written under dire circumstances, they reflect the mood of the writer at the time.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

"Black Lives Matter type groups" aren't calling for the destruction of enemies, but rather that people's lives be valued, regardless of race.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
"Black Lives Matter type groups" aren't calling for the destruction of enemies, but rather that people's lives be valued, regardless of race.
Actually....BLM chanted that they wanted dead cops and "pigs in blankets".

Old 11-03-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Actually....BLM chanted that they wanted dead cops and "pigs in blankets".
There are fringe elements within any movement. (Hmmm, maybe the people wanting to see police killed are fans of imprecatory psalms.)

There are Christians who want to kill homosexuals, too.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
There are fringe elements within any movement. (Hmmm, maybe the people wanting to see police killed are fans of imprecatory psalms.)

There are Christians who want to kill homosexuals, too.
Yes, there are fringe types in every movement. But it does not necessarily indicate the larger movement is like that, or that those values are indicative of the movement.

In the imprecatory Psalms, we read Psalms written by David as he was being chased by a mad king. We also read Psalms written by people that were oppressed by their enemies. THey are not commands to DO those things, but it does reflect the mood of the people that are suffering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality