Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 12:18 PM

678 posts, read 429,782 times

Advertisements

"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being."

Albert Einstein to Guy H. Raner Jr., Sept. 28, 1949, quoted by Michael R. Gilmore in Skeptic magazine, Vol. 5, No. 2.

"The desire for guidance, love, and support prompts men to form the social or moral conception of God. This is the God of Providence, who protects, disposes, rewards, and punishes; the God who, according to the limits of the believer's outlook, loves and cherishes the life of the tribe or of the human race, or even or life itself; the comforter in sorrow and unsatisfied longing; he who preserves the souls of the dead. This is the social or moral conception of God."

Albert Einstein, New York Times Magazine, November 9, 1930.

Kind of harsh, but figured I'd post as some may find it interesting. I personally feel that the world and especially universe is far more complex than we'll ever be able to fathom (at least as living humans). Yet, fear, ego and a lack of love for the present moment drives us to want to control our destiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 01:01 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
we think the calendar is our age. Thats incomplete to me. I deal with people based on brain age. I wouldn't call all of them "children", but many of them need to be loved, need to relieve agnst of helplessness, relieve responsibility, or just feel that there is no way there can't be something. some are adolescent minded for sure, but we have many of that there type in our ranks too. As does every other group.

appeal to authority to from a believe might be a starting point to actually trying to figure something out on our own. The really smart ones know what they don't know. the geniuses are the ones that understand what weey know isn't all anybody needs to know.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:06 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,171,699 times
I could care less what Einstein thought about others and spirituality. His expertise was not in that area. That's like worrying about what a mechanic thinks about knitting. Kind of stupid to use that logic.

The brightest and most skilled in one area can be horrible fools in other areas. Why should we be surprised by this, or expect anything different. You could take any subject and find someone who disagrees with multitudes. Whoopy doo.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:29 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,173,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I could care less what Einstein thought about others and spirituality. His expertise was not in that area. That's like worrying about what a mechanic thinks about knitting. Kind of stupid to use that logic.

The brightest and most skilled in one area can be horrible fools in other areas. Why should we be surprised by this, or expect anything different. You could take any subject and find someone who disagrees with multitudes. Whoopy doo.
If it all your ever taught, it's all you'll ever do.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:17 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
I'm very child-like...ask my friends.

Thoreau....that was funny... ..."I could care less...".

Old 10-22-2017, 06:18 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,354,425 times
Quote:

There are MANY present-day ex-pastors who have come to the same exact conclusions as Einstein. The only difference is that Einstein beat those pastors by several decades..

Old 10-22-2017, 06:21 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
...the present moment drives us to want to control our destiny.
Or....
backfloat gently down the stream...

Old 10-22-2017, 08:25 PM

678 posts, read 429,782 times
Quote:

Fair enough.

The thought of a singular religion or expert that is right about God seems like a selfish one to me. So I find it interesting and try to learn from what some of the brightest minds who have made significant impacts on our world say. That includes leaders from different religions, scientists and biblical scholars.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:18 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,394 times
Quote:
"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being."

Albert Einstein to Guy H. Raner Jr., Sept. 28, 1949, quoted by Michael R. Gilmore in Skeptic magazine, Vol. 5, No. 2.

"The desire for guidance, love, and support prompts men to form the social or moral conception of God. This is the God of Providence, who protects, disposes, rewards, and punishes; the God who, according to the limits of the believer's outlook, loves and cherishes the life of the tribe or of the human race, or even or life itself; the comforter in sorrow and unsatisfied longing; he who preserves the souls of the dead. This is the social or moral conception of God."

Albert Einstein, New York Times Magazine, November 9, 1930.

Kind of harsh, but figured I'd post as some may find it interesting. I personally feel that the world and especially universe is far more complex than we'll ever be able to fathom (at least as living humans). Yet, fear, ego and a lack of love for the present moment drives us to want to control our destiny.
Albert Einstein is often mistaken for an atheist. Yet even in these selected quotes, Einstein clearly does believe in atheist mindset either. Nor is he agnostic. Thereare in fact several quotes attributed to Einstein that make it clear that he does believe in God (not atheist), but also does not share classical theist notions of deity.

He is quoted as believing in Spinoza's concept of pantheism. That is, Einstein had a philosophy similar to Buddhism.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:49 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,394 times
Quote:
Fair enough.

The thought of a singular religion or expert that is right about God seems like a selfish one to me. So I find it interesting and try to learn from what some of the brightest minds who have made significant impacts on our world say. That includes leaders from different religions, scientists and biblical scholars.
That is pretty stupid honestly.

Who decides who is bright? Stupider people. People who don't trust in their own potential, and go chasing after celebs.

For that matter, field of expertise is usually a thing. Descartes was a brilliant philosopher, but I wouldnt expect him to do my plumbing or electricity. Likewise, Hawking is a good astrophysicist but his assertion that no creator is needed relies on an existence requiring scientific rules... before such rules existed (this is a logical impossibility).

Why is Hawking considered brilliant when not only have several Christian scientists studied his assertions and found them lacking, but he literally was handicapped?

Einstein is the real deal. But he also has the sense to not be a classical atheist, when such a position is not falsifiable.

Stephen Hawking Exposed, Idiot, Fool, Biography, Quotes, History and Facts

Einstein is the real deal because he used his theories to help advance nuclear science. I do not believe the scientific method alone proves anything.You can test 1000 times the same way, but until you test under completely different conditions, you are just reinforcing bias. What makes or breaks a scientoist is when their ideas step outside theory and into applied inventions. The smart person in the room? The guy who built Hawking's chair that allowed him to speak.

And lest you think my earlier writing be contradicted, Descartes extended his theory to the study of human physiology. To say nothing of the fact that scientific method alone would not exist as it has without his theories of methodology and observation. So yeah, rather than just theorizing, he too created something with his ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality