Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 09:29 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
It was a gutsy thing for Obama to do in a run -up to the election, but I fear that he might have handed the presidency over to the republicans in a box. Because of the predominance of following the views of religion, Bible- based intolerance is considered right and tolerance wrong.
That's right. I'm amazed at people who claim he did this for "political gain" because he would've lost absolutely nothing if he stayed with his old position of pro-equal legal rights for the LGBT community. Now he risks losing votes from the more conservative Christian Democrats. I'm glad he did it though. I always suspected he was pro-gay marriage, he never struck me as a person who would be opposed to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 11:31 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
August 28, 1963, I was present in a crowd of people of about 250,000, at the base of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC when I heard the words, for the first time, that were spoken by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. about him having a dream, a dream that all of us could live together in peace and not judge one another by the color of our skin, or our religion, or our education. I thought, these are mighty brave words for the time. I was also present in Washington, DC. when President John F. Kennedy was buried after his assassination on November 22,1963. I witnessed the riots and the burning of Washington, DC. in April of 1968 after the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. I was present in Washington, DC. after the assassination and the burial of Robert Kennedy in September of 1968. I am a Vietnam Veteran and proud to have served my country. These are three men who believed in treating everyone fairly and equally, it didn't make any difference what your religious belief was or what your lifestyle was, didn't make any difference what the color of your skin was or even if you were a male or female, they believed in the equality of mankind.

Today we have lost that human decency of treating everyone equally and with respect.

I wonder, of what harm does it do to not treat people who are homosexual as equals, we're all human beings, we are all members of the human race.
It would seem as though religion is the big divide between us, it causes us to become bigots, to treat one another differently when in truth we're all the same.
I am neither a homosexual, a Christian or a believer in Islam, I do not believe in any type of organized religion, I am a believer in a Creator and my ancient culture as a Native American and a member of the Keetoowah Tsalagi, we have long treated those of Twin Spirits with a great deal of respect, it is our culture and has been for thousands of years, they are human beings just like the rest of us.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:30 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
August 28, 1963, I was present in a crowd of people of about 250,000, at the base of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC when I heard the words, for the first time, that were spoken by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. about him having a dream, a dream that all of us could live together in peace and not judge one another by the color of our skin, or our religion, or our education. I thought, these are mighty brave words for the time. I was also present in Washington, DC. when President John F. Kennedy was buried after his assassination on November 22,1963. I witnessed the riots and the burning of Washington, DC. in April of 1968 after the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. I was present in Washington, DC. after the assassination and the burial of Robert Kennedy in September of 1968. I am a Vietnam Veteran and proud to have served my country. These are three men who believed in treating everyone fairly and equally, it didn't make any difference what your religious belief was or what your lifestyle was, didn't make any difference what the color of your skin was or even if you were a male or female, they believed in the equality of mankind.

Today we have lost that human decency of treating everyone equally and with respect.

I wonder, of what harm does it do to not treat people who are homosexual as equals, we're all human beings, we are all members of the human race.
It would seem as though religion is the big divide between us, it causes us to become bigots, to treat one another differently when in truth we're all the same.
I am neither a homosexual, a Christian or a believer in Islam, I do not believe in any type of organized religion, I am a believer in a Creator and my ancient culture as a Native American and a member of the Keetoowah Tsalagi, we have long treated those of Twin Spirits with a great deal of respect, it is our culture and has been for thousands of years, they are human beings just like the rest of us.
If we could only find a way to take your attitude and make a vaccine with it.

I grew up in the deep south during the 60's. When my kids start complaining about how unfair life is, I tell them about the people in my life. The woman who practically raised me, who I consider to be my mother, unable to enter the same places that I could. Even so, she never lost her dignity. She taught me to be fair, tolerant and understanding. She also taught me to forgive. My friends in school who were belittled and, at times, beaten for the color of their skin. They never gave up though.

You're right Ptsum, we're losing our way, as a nation and as humans.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:10 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
[quote=pamelaBeurman;24285401]If we could only find a way to take your attitude and make a vaccine with it.

I grew up in the deep south during the 60's. When my kids start complaining about how unfair life is, I tell them about the people in my life. The woman who practically raised me, who I consider to be my mother, unable to enter the same places that I could. Even so, she never lost her dignity. She taught me to be fair, tolerant and understanding. She also taught me to forgive. My friends in school who were belittled and, at times, beaten for the color of their skin. They never gave up though.

You're right Ptsum, we're losing our way, as a nation and as humans.[/quote]

A lot of people will say that in order for us to find our way as a nation we have to look towards our religion, personally I think that in order for us to learn to treat one another with respect and as equals we need to get rid of organized religion. Organized religion, whether it be Christianity or Islam or any other name you want to give it, does nothing but cause divisions among us, when one religion says that one group of people are better than the others then that causes a division and with that division comes hatred and bigotry, it doesnt make a difference what that religion is, it's wrong. If we get rid of organized religion and go back to treating one another as equals and with respect, this could be a much better place to live in.osay

Old 05-13-2012, 02:34 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times
[quote=ptsum;24286291]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
If we could only find a way to take your attitude and make a vaccine with it.

You're right Ptsum, we're losing our way, as a nation and as humans.[/quote]

A lot of people will say that in order for us to find our way as a nation we have to look towards our religion, personally I think that in order for us to learn to treat one another with respect and as equals we need to get rid of organized religion. Organized religion, whether it be Christianity or Islam or any other name you want to give it, does nothing but cause divisions among us, when one religion says that one group of people are better than the others then that causes a division and with that division comes hatred and bigotry, it doesnt make a difference what that religion is, it's wrong. If we get rid of organized religion and go back to treating one another as equals and with respect, this could be a much better place to live in.osay
I couldn't agree more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality