Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you laugh to???
Yes 4 22.22%
No 14 77.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 06:18 AM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times

Advertisements

Actually when people get ideas like `wonder where God is ``.....is alway a demonic dark deceptive spirit telling them this ..... As God is there all the time .... for this is a discernment from the Lord Jesus Holy Spirit....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 07:03 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Actually when people get ideas like `wonder where God is ``.....is alway a demonic dark deceptive spirit telling them this ..... As God is there all the time .... for this is a discernment from the Lord Jesus Holy Spirit....
We are well aware that believers dismiss legitimate questions by telling themselves that some demonic power is trying to delude them. Fact is that many can't stop asking the questions and come to realize that the delusions (including the demons) were all on the other side.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:22 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
It is plain dumb- The suffering guy in the picture is bothered by something others have done or what he might have done to others...God does not go around testing people or making them suffer to learn some lesson. The guy in the photo has man made problems- Leave God out of it. This is a great lie- that religion has inflicted on people- that God is a creep...people are creeps and those that teach we are here to suffer and be tested are creeps who are usually the ones who cause the suffering----then blame it on God.
Gee, really?

What about Job?

Quote:
Satan accused Job of serving God only because of the blessings he received. Supposedly, according to Satan, if God didn’t bless Job so much, Job would stop serving Him, and he’d curse God to His face. As a result, Job was tested, and God permitted Satan to take away practically every blessing Job had ever received. Satan (through various means) killed Job’s livestock, his children, and most of his servants. He lost everything except his wife and his health.
Btw, God let Satan talk him into this - yet, if he was all knowing, he would have known that Job's heart was pure, wouldn't he?

What about Abraham?

Quote:
“Take your son, your only son Isaac whom you love and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about.”
In this one, God tested Abraham to see if he really feared God, but again, wouldn't he have known without a test?

Old 05-12-2012, 08:16 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Sorry, still sad to see an adult thinking they are talking to anything other than the delusions about some god, and I suspect that most of the time it is for purely selfish reasons.

I've seen posts about people praying for a parking place, and of course when they find one it's an answered prayer by some god that holds a space for them while allowing millions of children to starve to death or have their hands chopped off with a machete in an ongoing genocide. But he found me a parking place oh goody oh goody oh goody silly dance.

<vomit>

Old 05-12-2012, 08:29 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
So God gets credit for all the good things but the bad things are all man-made?

I don't think the picture is very funny. It's sad that people turn to God during difficult times only to be answered with deafening silence. Still, I'm more worried about the people who claim that God is actually talking to them.
Deafening silence? No. God's Spirit lives within each believer. He speaks to us through His Spirit and through His Word.

I recently (a year ago) was in danger of losing my job. I went months wondering whether I would be employed the following year (teacher-budget cuts). God reminded me how He had always taken care of me & my family, & that He would continue. It was a great relief to feel His reassurance.

This was a test of our (my family) faith, to make sure it was real, valid. I'd like to think we passed the test.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:11 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Default I just had to laugh again......

Quote Line
Attached Thumbnails
I Just Had To Laugh.....-1336794366478.png  

Old 05-13-2012, 12:28 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Cell phones auto answer is closer to the truth.

The subscriber you called is currently not available, please try again later.

Ceiling cat answers prayers, he sez Meeow

Old 05-13-2012, 04:19 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default An amazing revelation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
God does not go around testing people or making them suffer to learn some lesson.
Really? This is not at all what I'de been admonished to believe back in my long-ago devout Christian belief days. Or what a lot of other posters here have intoned when we ask them why God might be doing this stuff to His most ardent believers! Certainly we're also told He does such things to punish us non-believers! That part's carved in stone, far as I've been told anyhow! Bad atheist! BAD!

That all the bad or strange or conflicted stuff, like my beloved aunt getting cancer and dying at only 45 yrs of age, or my cat getting run over, or my brother dying too early... all of it was just God working in His usual Mysterious Ways™, or that He was simply "sending" for someone to help Him with some special project-thing to be done in heaven, or just to test our faith.

Hmmm. So He really has nothing to do with any of it? Wow!

Old 05-13-2012, 04:25 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Absolutely right, Rifleman. One of the more common arguments (not to say excuses) for the problem of evil in one of its many avatars is the 'learning curve' argument incorporating 'God is testing our Faith' excuse.

While Theists are noted for making up their theology on the hoof and more with a view to bolstering their own street -cred than redounding to the glory of God (better that he look a perfect swine - so what are we going to do about it, eh? than allow themselves to lose the argument), it is coming to something when one of the cornerstones of Christian apologetics is heaved into the canal in order to try to score a minor debating point.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:47 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,547,479 times
It made me smile.
I can see how some would find it amusing.
It makes me think of the story where the person only sees one set of footprints...
I guess we each have our own perspective on things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality