Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:54 AM

146 posts, read 349,683 times

Advertisements

Can you please explain to me what Christian ethics is all about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 12:30 PM

5,539 posts, read 6,461,494 times
This is my belief based on my life experiences beginning at age 4 when God chose me, lessons learned during childhood and adulthood, Bible scripture and Bible Studies I have attended with leaders that I highly respect.

One must believe in God, and believe that Jesus Christ is God's son, sent to be crucified on the cross and die for all sins committed by us mortals/human beings.

Once one believes this, then by prayer they have to accept Jesus Christ as Lord, confess their sins to the Lord, ask Him for forgiveness, and pledge to live a Godly life, "die to self, live for God".

This means we will live a life for God, not for ourselves, as best as we can. Since God/Jesus Christ is pure and perfect and sinless, we as Christians will never meet this criteria. We WILL sin, no doubt about it. We will be sinners until we leave (die) this earth for our heavenly home. We HAVE to realize when we sin, ask sincerely for forgiveness to the Lord, and go about our lives trying the best we can to not sin, especially intentionally. But it will happen, temptation can be powerful and overrides our willpower and conscience. But the Lord will forgive us, if we sincerely pray and ask and ask for strenght to not let it happen again. And pray some more.

But satan is a moving force in ALL of us, including Christians. We constantly have temptations in our face, satan wants us to fail in our quest to live a Godly life. But the Lord is there for us at all times, even protecting us from fall-out during our sins. I personally can attest to that!

Also, God has NEVER promised ANYONE a pain-free, pleasant life. Christians will always have trials, tribulations, and tragedies in their lives. The difference in being a Christian as oppossed to being a non-believer is that Christians turn to the Lord to get them through their pain and suffering, while non-believers curse and blame and hate the Lord.

Satan has invaded my life in a terrible way, 13 months ago. I wanted to die, and thought about it many times. I got down to 89 pounds! But God has been there for me the whole way, if not for him I would have lost my mind. My tribulation will never be over or forgotten, but closure is coming soon and I can go forward with my life. (I am now at a healthy weight).

I hope I have answered your question. It really is not hard to live a Godly life. God Bless You.

Last edited by Lodestar 77; 05-22-2012 at 12:38 PM..

Old 05-22-2012, 12:42 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,338,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphKNS View Post
Can you please explain to me what Christian ethics is all about?

I don't know but I wish more Christians had more tolerance of people who don't believe and live the way they do.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
The difference in being a Christian as oppossed to being a non-believer is that Christians turn to the Lord to get them through their pain and suffering, while non-believers curse and blame and hate the Lord.
How can non believers curse, blame, or hate something they don't believe in?

Old 05-22-2012, 01:02 PM

7,582 posts, read 6,052,104 times
I got a rather long-winded lecture about Christian ethics and Morality a while back . Asked me about a church I had told him I had attended in the past (episcopal) asked me why I went and I told him that at the time, I found it peaceful and inspirational, inspiring me to do good and be a better person. After some profanity, he picked up his Bible and proceeded to quote Pual (whom he was not aware of that I openly and totally reject) Telling me that everything from my intent in attending the episcopal church to my inspiration for good, through though and deeds was ALL wrong, And he told me that "Good works do not matter, this life does not matter, we are here as a test for God to decide which of us respects him or not, and he does not care either way" Got the whole thing about "You can be a serial killer a rapists a wife beater( the third of which which he was) and if you accept JESUS you will still get into heaven. Good works are not important and suffering in this world just does not matter.

So, When I asked him if this means that we should not help the sick or suffering or those in need he said NO We should not.
SO I started by dropping him from my service, but realized afterwards that my actions do not have to be lowered to his standards, so I reluctantly took him back (no one else wanted to work with him anyway) By taking him back and endeavoring to help him regardless of his beliefs, I showed that I as a non-Christian offered higher ethics and morals of doing what needed to be done to preserve his life and ease his suffering than he himself was willing to do for anyone else. (like his wife)

I am not sure that he reprresents all of Christiandom and in fact I know many Christian groups, catholics especially, have been centuries ahead of the protestants in charity and aid, with or without strings attached, and I do not think the general hatred and racism that is rampant in evangelical protestantism in America is ideal, although it IS The accepted norm.

For some reason, Christianity in this country, in this day and age, has gotten so fouled up with legalism, scandels and negativity that any ideal of Christianity as something good is long gone, even any idea of what real Christianity is is gone, as evidenced by the number of people who say "Well he /she/you.they are not real Christians etc'

Ideally, Christian ethics would be based on the idea of love thy neighbor as thyself.
I am currently not aware of anyone specifically who claims to be Christian and actually practices this.

And since the overall pervading belief is that utopia cannot exist on earth until Jesus returns (which I don;t think will ever happen) Then many people throw up their hands and say WHY BOTHER? why help the poor the needy the sick, why do anything to relieve suffering? better to let them die and be in Heaven (whic again, I do not support)
With this overbearing ideology, CHristian ethics and morals are really pretty unimportant. Since deeds are not neccesary for salvation, and since the afterlife is all that matters, then there is no moral impetus to live a morally updstanding, loving or good life. After all, prisons are full of Christians, but for all the suffering they caused to their victims, Jesus will ressurrect and welcome them into an eternity in paradise.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
How can non believers curse, blame, or hate something they don't believe in?
Yeah Really ?

I do not curse or blame "the lord" for anything.
When something goes wrong, when something happens I don;t run out and start praying for someone to save me, I MAN UP and get busy and get things done.
I wouldn't waste time praying when there is too much work to be done.

A few years ago when we had a recession that hit our town really hard, things got bad for a very many people, Christian and NON-Christian alike. + The food bank ran out of food, people were living in tents in homeless camps.
While some people Prayed for relief, I went out with my kids, we helped round up canned goods and got them together and rushed them to the food bank. We bought toys and things for families at holidays and we would buy things at every charity auction or event we could afford and then give the titem to someone more in need. So while people were saying "God come rescue us, we were rescuing them!!!

And we wwere doing this Because they were human beings in need, they were hurting they were scared and they were suffering and it is our goal as humans to take care of each other.
It would be very vain of Christians to think that they alone represent morality. Judging from the actions of everyone from Jimmy Swaggert to Westboro Baptsit church, I would venture that it may be just the oppostie. At least from what I have experienced.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:16 PM

458 posts, read 614,921 times
"God" and religion do not have a monopoly on morality.

In fact, I think those two have done a very good job of corrupting most people's ideas of morality. The world would be a better, more generous, and more tolerant place if religions disappeared.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Yeah Really ?

I do not curse or blame "the lord" for anything.
What?? What is the "Yeah Really"? I am not following you.

I don't either. I take full responsibility for all my actions and never place the blame on anyone else. Most people get themselves into their own messes unless it is health problems.

I also do the decent thing every day of my life. I live very simply and truly believe in the philosophy of treat others the way you want to be treated. It really is very easy to be a decent person when you look at it like that.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
What?? What is the "Yeah Really"? I am not following you.

I don't either. I take full responsibility for all my actions and never place the blame on anyone else. Most people get themselves into their own messes unless it is health problems.

I also do the decent thing every day of my life. I live very simply and truly believe in the philosophy of treat others the way you want to be treated. It really is very easy to be a decent person when you look at it like that.
I agree with you. Really. I am not being sarcastic.

I do not waste time blaming others for any situation that is either
fixable by me
not my fault
out of my control.

Blaming others DOES NOT accomplish anything, and it hinders the healing/fixing process anyway.

And you are right, I help others because IF it were me in that situation, I would want someone to help me. I treat others with kindness and respect because I respect myself and would be kind to myself.
I want to be part of the solution , not part of the problem.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I agree with you. Really. I am not being sarcastic.
Got it. Sometimes its hard to decipher meanings online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality