Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 08:15 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post

Excellent! We all know God exists. We just suppress it.

We did NOT arise here by chance. It is mathematically impossible.

Calculations done by aianrnoens taking "in the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth" (Genesis 1:1) translated into morse code then calculated in Permutations.
DNA is a information, not data. It takes a organized sentence to understand it. A bunch of random letters on a page is not readable thus useless.

This one sentence doesn't even come close to the complexity of the single DNA molecule - let alone Universe.

There is a purpose in life, our Creator has revealed himself to us in his Word and Person as Messiah, and wants a relationship with us.
I usually try to be engaging but this is just Bible- code nonsense designed to prop up this God- belief and the sheer sauce of slyly arguing that we all 'know' that you're right but refuse to admit is is the sheerest brass- necked impudence imaginable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 08:33 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
If this life is all there is ... and there is no sovereign God and creator ..who has a plan and purpose larger than our own feeble minds can imagine, -- then one may as well live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse.

But, then, if that were the case, nobody would be living lives of purpose and meaning .... as so many are.
People who live lives of purpose and meaning do so because they want to, for the most part. The same goes for people who don't.

It has nothing to do with an invisible creator which only exists in people's imaginations.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:22 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Yes...but again, I reiterate that we have minds - we are not totally straitjacketed by inherited characteristics. We can do better. I am always distressed by the fatalistic type who says that there is no point trying to change nature or fate. Nature can be moderated and improved upon and Fate is surely a myth or superstition.
why would you want to change it.
its what you are.

I hate pain and love pleasure.
I feel no need to change that.
I'm fine with it as it is.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:46 PM

1,553 posts, read 1,835,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
So quit being a debbie downer and enjoy it

Do you want us to think you sound intelligent ?
No, you cannot run this way
He said: all of it is in vain, and you tell him: enjoy it

Old 05-26-2012, 01:48 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,246 times
My purpose in life is what I make of it, not what someone else makes of it. Having some kind of "external" assigned purpose/meaning to life is such a foreign concept to me. How can someone else tell you what your own purpose is? It would no longer be your purpose! That would make your purpose meaningless. That would be like somebody coming up to you and assigning to you your meaning, goals, desires, likes, dislikes. How can someone else decide what your meaning is? If you have to depend on someone else to assign you your meaning in life, then that means that your life is meaningless.

What is the christian's "purpose" in life? To serve god according to his "purpose"? If you consider a life of being a robot, living for one reason: to serve god; then I would say your life is totally meaningless.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:58 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Wink Half-ways through and just had to counter some of these speculations

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapturegal View Post
Life is pointless?

On the contrary ... life is pointing us to our Creator. Every breath of air you take and each drop of water you drink was provided for you by Someone who loved you before you were born. Scripture tells us God knows the number of hairs on our heads ... the relationship is that intimate.

The mysteries of this life and the glorious eternal one to come are too much for our carnal minds to understand but greater understanding will be revealed to those who honestly Seek Him.
The idea of some omniscient Creator entity who cares solely about us earthlings has been so thoroughly debunked as not only impossible based on his so-called miraculous deeds (and which we've explained over and over again by showing the inexorable evidence) but the real reason things happen was, yup, based on some chance inter-molecular forces and subsequent interactions.

Now, I'm sure the devout Christians here do not like this arguement, and I notice several of the Christian apologist posters on this thread make out that we atheists see nothing of value to "believe in". As if this were a necessity for continued life or existence.

Let me set you straight again, oh forgetful ones: we in fact simply believe in one less God than you do. As well, most or all of us do indeed enjoy this life, because we are not burdened with pre-destined mindsets, biases and mandated beliefs as to how things "are". Simply not so. We also have the option of thinking our way through any topic we choose to investigate, via standard mechanisms of logic, while you folks are severely restricted, and can only come to Christian/Godly/Jesus interpretations. That really limits your abilities to see the truth all around you, as I'm sure you must agree.

Your "absolute" interpretation is all just fabricated toad droppings.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
my what a wonderful attitude you have or are you just playing Devil's advocate? Of course life has meaning. You can say it is a bunch of chemicals, you can believe it happened by accident but it still has meaning. What about all the people who have contribulated so much to society and what about the wonderful experiences we have and often share? I could go on and on, but I doubt it would change a thing in your think process.

Nita
I'm assuming the OP's author is simply being dead-nutz honest, down to the wire and bottom line as it were. He/she did not then say it's all hopeless or that we live in quiet or noisy desparation, just that it all happened by chance, and by that process coupled with DNA, it formed up all the diversification we see around us purely through molecular gambling.

The world as we want it to be is entirely of our fabrication. This is why there are, indeed, some very depressed or ignorant or despondent folks along with those who take the "bull by the horns", so to speak, and make it as they want it to be.

Theists see only a desperate hopelessly sinful world in atheism, as if they alone have seen the way, the truth and the light! They live solely for the moment of Salvation when their savior comes floating back (Ain't gonna happen. Hasn't in countless previous generations who all thought it had to happen in their generation... <sigh> Delusional beliefs.). As well, they like to wave Pascal's Wager at us with that good ol' "Oh but... What if you're wrong???!!!" argument.

This illogical and indefensible thinking has led me to firmly believe there's two would-be species of humans: those who unthinkingly believe and feel secure just because someone else has done their critical thinking for them, and 2) us imaginative and scientifically less gullible types, those who are inherently more interested in the future than our Christian and other religious folks.

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Naturalism is a hopeless idea, were through atheism we take God out of the ideas and see life a useless waste of time........I Glad I do not believe one word you say here , For God is real and there is a unseen spiritual existences beyond the natural logic of the simple senses God gave people ... For the witness of truth that I have witness is beyond faith and into the known the truth of Christ and Lord Jesus which give me hope as His presence is very real ......
You always have to add in those concocted toad droppings about "hopeless ideas" and "seeing life as a useless waste of time" don't you, hljc? OK then: please do link to where any atheist has EVER said that! You purposefully lie (is this good Christian behavior, one wonders?) and it mischaracterizes and purposefully but falsely demonizes us atheists. It'd be like me saying all of you Christians are sadistic, pedophillic and incapable of any logical thoughts (well, that last one may indeed be factual...)

Fact is, your preposterous statement above is simply your own patantly stupid, uneducated and highly biased take on what we atheists do, in fact, believe. We simply do not simperingly grovel in front of some carved ego-centric man-made wooden icon whose abilities and fantasy-based heritage have been so thoroughly discredited.

By your hand-waving & all-encompassing statements, you are saying essentially, that if a person is NOT a Christian, they are demonic and leading a hopeless, unsatisfied and sin-filled life devoid of any purpose or satisfaction other than evil intentions. What categorical and banal nonsense, and so full of egotistical humanism it's hard to even be on the same web page with it! Makes me want to ...you know.. something we all do on The Great White Telephone.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapturegal View Post
It takes a lot more "faith" to believe this man-made fairytale than it does to believe in Intelligent Design.

Why not stop automatically accepting the limited understanding of weak humans {especially all scientists and philosophers who pretend to be so wise} and ask God directly to prove Himself to you on a personal level. He will.
Well, your claim simply indicates that you have no real technical understanding of the classically logical refutations of ID. It's so very easy to debunk that relentless silliness, and to show it was simply a set up, designed as it were, as another way to try to slip a dogmatic & intransigent Christian foot into the doorway! Too bad for you: since it is, obviously, all fake, it then naturally is rather easily disproved at every level, and it therefore shows you folks up, yet again, as the desperate and disrespectful types you are, always trying yet another deceptive ploy.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rj7237 View Post
We all should realize scientists and philosophers make complexing words that only they know and chuckle when we ask them what words like esoteric means.^^
Wouldn't I already need to believe in God to ask Him for amything?Likewise, believing he could provide proof of his existence? I at least think ID is a man-made fairy tale.
Well well! Now I get it! "Esoteric" is too "complexing" for discussions with you, huh? OK then: "Class! Please turn to the Grade Two primer on language comprehension."

It's obviously pointless(Oooopssss... sorry! There's a two-syllable word: hope you understand it!) to try to educate you on the admittedly complex world of Evolutionary genetics and adaptive biology & ecology, natural mutation rates, DNA lineage tracking, the Geological Column and how Potassium-Argon decay rates [not to mention all the other new or improved methods for dating & aging that, woah now, all mysteriously coincide when independently testing an artifact of known age.. How Does that work out so well if it's all falsified lies? Explain please!]

DNA mutation rates, coupled with atomic decay rating and an artifact's relative position in the geological column, can be very accurately used to measure relative and even absolute time, or to speculate on the Big Bang. (Noting, honestly, that so far no-one has categorically stated anything about the probable Big Bang Beginning, only that the evidence points that way to date, and predicts future finds...) as to how the Universe possibly or probably works.

All of it probably baffles you, and so you've taken refuge in The Inerrant Bible and it's equally untutored and undisciplined thoughts.

In other words, you prefer it "down and stupit", eh?

OK: at least now I knowz dah ruhlz fur kum-you-ni-kay-tin' stuff to the plebes.

You rudely place no essential value or respect on the education and achievements of others who perhaps have significantly more introspective and advanced educations than you. Am I right? Of course, if my PhD were in Christian Science studies, you'd believe anything I said in support of the Grande Christian Hoax (See: Kent Hovind the felon, or Carl Baugh, who formed his own non-profit "university with his friend [A PO box in Kansas I believe, and when he was the first "prez", he granted his friend a PhD. Then that guy was "Elected" as the new prez, and he subsequently took his established presidential position to grant Carl the same honorary Doctorate! What a scam!

IBSS - Other Views - Carl Baugh

And yet Christians refer to his banal claims as coming from "The Good Doctor Baugh, a president at a university!" Right. And my mother is Queen Elizabeth's secret twin sister! And yet, in the eyes of rant-a-loon Christian scientist haters like Rj7237 here, I by comparison, and other educated debaters here, being essentially Evil™ professional career scientists, are simply not to be believed. Ever. Dread Fear of the Unthinkable raises it's terrifying head yet again!

So Sorry friends: our variously accredited degrees are not biased on human hubris and wild and illogical spiritual fantasies, but rather on the dependable empirical sciences, so we don't just buy into nonsense and conjecture, all to save our collective bacons when we do indeed die!

The frantic fear of death has run through it's spiritual dominance here on Earth. It's time to explain how life actually works (understanding that some do not have the necessary educational or comprehension backgrounds to "get it all". Hey; it's surely not our job to make you intransigent know-it-alls pay attention in school, now is it?).

The purpose of which would be to just have people get on with their educated and happier lives, and be able to observe and enjoy the world around them, understanding, finally, just exactly how we did in fact get to be here!

Last edited by rifleman; 05-26-2012 at 04:24 PM..

Old 05-26-2012, 04:03 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
What is the christian's "purpose" in life? To serve god according to his "purpose"? If you consider a life of being a robot, living for one reason: to serve god; then I would say your life is totally meaningless.
you leave out one very important point.
God only wants what is best for you.
if you find serving a being that only wants what is best for you onerous then maybe you need to think about what that says about you.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:16 PM

496 posts, read 483,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter-1 View Post
That would be freedom, so maybe your on to something.
Well I want to clarify in above,this life was assumed to be the life of bias and so
on can be somewhat eliminated.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:30 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,731 times
I am not an atheist or a religious person. I think the Universe is its own purpose, I am also an idealist and I think consciousness creates matter, not vice versa. But I am religious because I acknowledge that I might be wrong...

Old 05-26-2012, 06:34 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Cool another exposé of Intransigent dis-intellect and mis-understanding... sigh.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post

Excellent! We all know God exists. We just suppress it.

We did NOT arise here by chance. It is mathematically impossible.

Calculations done by aianrnoens taking "in the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth" (Genesis 1:1) translated into morse code then calculated in Permutations.
DNA is a information, not data. It takes a organized sentence to understand it. A bunch of random letters on a page is not readable thus useless.

This one sentence doesn't even come close to the complexity of the single DNA molecule - let alone Universe.

There is a purpose in life, our Creator has revealed himself to us in his Word and Person as Messiah, and wants a relationship with us.
Giving this the shortest shrift it so richly deserves, nontheless; here we go:

1) No, I don't "know" that any GOd exists. In fact, all the evidence points in exactly the other way!

2) Translated in to Morse Code? What? Why? Sam F. Morse was an inventor of an original code which was heavily modified over time to clarify and speed it up. It has ABSOLUTELY no Godly connection! So why do you grant it one? Did you think this little off-track comment makes your presentation look more, well, "scientific" or valid?

3) The rate of random changes to somehow magically arrive at a systematic and logical DNA "sentence" is unrelated. You forget, or obviously NEVER KNEW, how Evoluton through DNA mutation, works. This will be the obvious reason you inevitably refuse to provide us with a point--form exposé of how you think we think Evolution works. You know, where all the big mistakes are.

Your gross scientific illieracy, esp. in the areas of basic bio-genetics, and statistics and mathematical probabilities, is showing right onw.

A random mutation event, carried on serially (a singular event follows the previous, one at a time, and so on..)is again, and for the umpteenth time, NOT HOW IT WORKS, oh so very silly & uneducated person.

And to make it so much worse, you have no intrest nor talent nor basic education to even WANT to understand it. Fear truly is an interesting motivator towards a perpetual and ingrained gross lack of knowledge, innit kiddies?

But please, by all means, show me wrong, and signal if you want to understand.

But now, for just a moment, imagine what that new-found understanding might mean yo you: you'd finally have to concede, graciously one assumes, that it does indeed work as observed, all documented and now proven time and again.

So I can, yep, fully understand why you would NOT want to achieve gthat level of understanfing.

All you have to do is say "Yes, I would like to understand something I obviously do not at this point, rifleman! I appreciate your interest in teaching me the basics!"

But nope. I dare say you'll not even bother to respond, choosing instead to plow on under some hugely erroneous idea that you dragged from the parrot feed bin over on AiG or the like. No sane and intellectually honest person, after all, could have honestly posted this incoherent tripe!

Q1: where DID you actually find this stuff? It only makes you look, well... you know what.

Q2: what would an adult do that to his image, over and over?

I just don't get it, but then ,I'm not afraid of the arrival of death either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality