U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:05 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,984 posts, read 6,316,486 times

Advertisements

God says we're made in his image and while they're nice people in the world, alot of the world is filled with hate,ignorance,crime,war,liars,corruption,anger,lu st,greed etc etc? So how are we made in his image? Wouldn't we be made in the image of both him and the devil?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 07:13 PM

7,600 posts, read 9,388,656 times
By image, I think that refers to physical image only.
Bob.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:18 PM

151 posts, read 132,198 times
I don't think "image" means as we think it does, in the same sense that the "Son of God" does not mean as we would think.

I think it's referring to man having a mind, body, and spirit, as God is the Father (will/mind), the Son (body), and Spirit (the force that relates between things, like a pulse in the body or radiation from the body to external things)

there isn't much to see in the Bible if you read it concretely and lifelessly.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:25 PM

25,600 posts, read 26,289,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
God says we're made in his image and while they're nice people in the world, alot of the world is filled with hate,ignorance,crime,war,liars,corruption,anger,lu st,greed etc etc? So how are we made in his image? Wouldn't we be made in the image of both him and the devil?
For starters, you don't appear to know what the word "image" means. An "image" is the representation of something's physical qualities. You look in the mirror and you see your image. A child that looks like his father is often said to be "the spittin' image of his dad." Identical twins are thought of as being the very image of one another, regardless of how different their personalities may be. When you take a picture of something with a camera, you are producing the image of what that thing looks like. Even when we say that someone is the image of good health, we mean he appears to be healthy, that judging from the way he looks, he's in good health.

There is no such thing as a "spiritual image," which it appears you are suggesting the word means. If anything, the word "likeness" could pertain to non-physical qualities, but the word "image" cannot. Likewise, you can use the word "spiritual" to refer to "wealth" but not to "currency." There can be said to be such a thing as "spiritual wealth," but there is no such thing as "spiritual $20 bills." An image is the representation of something's physical, not spiritual qualities.

Genesis 1:24-25 (from the KJV) states, "And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so. And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good."

The very next verses continue by saying, "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness... So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."

Verses 24 and 25 were obviously talking about the physical creation of all animal life and were pointing out that each form of life would reproduce after its own kind. Immediately afterwards, we have God saying that man would be created in God's image and likeness. I see absolutely no reason on earth to assume that we are suddenly moving from the subject of a physical creation of life that would produce after its kind to a discussion of the non-physical attributes and potential qualities of man, God's greatest creation.

Just a few chapters later, we are told that Adam had a son and that this son was "in his own image, after his likeness." What God had said would happen in terms of each species reproducing its own kind took place when Adam first had a son who, like him, was in the likeness of a human. Simply put, Adam's son bore a physical resemblance to him. The wording in Genesis 1, describing man -- the God's offspring, and the wording in Genesis 5, describing Seth -- Adam's offspring, is virtually identical. Why would we assume anything other than that the meaning was the same?

If humans were physically made in God's image, doesn't that imply that God has a body? Uh... yes. That's exactly what it implies. The New Testament tells us that Jesus was "in the express image of His [Father's] person." This makes no sense, if Jesus Father was not also in the form of a person. Understand that I'm not saying that God has a mortal body or that Jesus Christ now has a mortal body. Once resurrected, Jesus had a perfect, glorified, celestial, immortal body. He ascended into Heaven with that body and we are told that He will return the same way He left. He is no longer subject to death, disease, pain, disfigurment, etc. He will continue to exist forever exactly as His exists now -- with an immortal body, one that appears essentially human but is sustained by spirit, not blood.

I believe that when Stephen looked up into Heaven and saw Jesus on the right hand of His Father, He saw two immortal beings that were recognizable as a Father and a Son. The scriptures say this. They don't say that Stephen saw one glorious being sitting on the right hand of some nebulous thing that was unidentifiable.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:26 PM

13,900 posts, read 12,082,279 times
Quote:
Careful now, you're inadvertantly giving credence to the claim.

Christians will no doubt argue that we were made in Gods image..... originaly. But, when Eve persuaded Adam to bite the apple, we fell from the graces of Gods image.

I would counter by saying that since man sinned, and we were made in Gods image, God to must be capable of sinning, thereby making the concept of a perfect God null and void.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:29 PM

151 posts, read 132,198 times
Katzpur, if God created the physical world, what is the nature of what/where God is?

when Paul writes that Jesus is the image of the invisble God, he is talking about the glory of Jesus. My approach trickles down from that.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:04 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,984 posts, read 6,316,486 times
oh i assumed when he said image he didn't just mean physical appearance but something deeper... because there is several definitions for the word "image"

Old 05-31-2012, 03:38 AM

5,563 posts, read 6,829,104 times
Quote:
oh i assumed when he said image he didn't just mean physical appearance but something deeper... because there is several definitions for the word "image"
Yeah, it is the old flexipreferential apologist's dictionary of definitions which is not yet in print but everyone has one

Old 05-31-2012, 05:32 AM

496 posts, read 457,095 times
Its very simple.

Man......Actual self....Known self.....Societal self.

God...The Holy Spirit..God the Father...Jesus.

Man...3 distinct making the one
God...3 distinct making the one

Old 05-31-2012, 05:39 AM

35,316 posts, read 47,594,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
By image, I think that refers to physical image only.
Bob.
I just cant imagine some 6ft white guy with long hair and beard floating around in space throwing universes together.
I think the image thing is something other than physical and would say symbolic of mans mental aspect but then theres a lot of mean, hateful,evil people out there so i dont know what the term refers to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality