Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 04:45 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times

Advertisements

This "god" is also claimed to be merciful.

Any sort of mercy that doesn't keep you from burning and suffering for all eternity (especially if you've been good) is no sort of mercy at all. Because I can avoid hell by believing in something I can't see? That's the standard for "mercy"? Nah. That's a watered-down, generic brand of other deities' mercy. It's Faded Glory compared to Levi's, it's Dr. Thunder compared to Dr. Pepper. Why not go for the good stuff? Or none at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 05:26 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
There is no such thing as a "good" person. We all have sin in our hearts. Personal piety is the hallmark of non believers.

What makes you think you know what that so-called "good" person has done in their life?
Wrong. while everyone does indeed produce little white lies every once in a while, or perhaps remve an advertising pen from our local mechanic's sign-in desk, and think some vile thoughts about our neighbor's dog wh barks all night long and that neighbor tells you to "Go to Frickin' hell if yah don't like my Fido!" , this does NOT make you or I a "BAD PERSON!", jda!

Thus is simply a construct of your church's various condemnations so that they have something to hold over your head, some horrible little secret only you and Christ know about, but that provides the backdrop for your endless supplications to seek entry into that magical Golden Salvation that has been added in to the bible by the church (since heaven is not mentioned there anywhere otherwise...).

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem125 View Post
Yep...here we go with the "fairy tales", "flying chariots", "talking snakes that walk", etc., etc.
So typically inane.
You seem so full of hate, animas and loathing. I can envision you turning red and shaking violently as you wrote this.
My heart does ache for you.
Nah...it doesn't suck to be me. My life is freakin' fantastic!!!
Great God
Great Family
Great Friends
Great opportunities to help those less fortunate than me (that's where my real satisfaction comes from)
Blessed with gifts and and talents that enable me to make a lot of money and do the above.
Nope...no hate...I know you don't get it...but that's your choice.
Ain't it great that we all can choose to be and believe whatever we want.
And yet, totally absent any involvement with any wooden mythical Gods, I also have a good life, friends, family, gift & talents (including those skeptical & critical thinking skills that I'd have to say you, Flem, are sorely lacking...)

Asheville et al are filled with disrespect for the relentless diatribe of demonization that accompanies any thoughtful debate with a Christian here. To wit: when cornered, you guys are proven incapable of a thoughtful response, choosing rather to critique our lifestyles, our beliefs and our command of knowledge. Too bad for you.

I also note your braggadocio about making money as well. I used to be in that ego-boat as well, making nicely into 6+ figures, and am now a lot more psychologically comfortable, not having to lease the latest Beemer or to be seen in a Brioni suit. Even my cigars have taken a distinct downturn, but I do enjoy a really good Bourbon... (Oh oh; another admitted sin: drinking the libations of hard work and Kentucky corn mash... save me, lordie, save me!)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
No such thing as good people as our garments are like filthy rags. We need a Saviour, as individuals we can't save ourself.
Ahhh go blow it out your drain tube, perry! I need a Savior like I need an enema! And while my clothes are not all recently bought, they are far from being "flithy rags" .

Nor is that a good metaphor for my mind and behavior. I am a respected member of my community, with many friends, and am called upon several times a year to write an article or to teach our children about the facts of biology, Evolution, geology and other stuff in which I am well versed and competent.

Then, those naive but curious kiddies can, as my high school teachers used to instruct, "compare and contrast" the facts I've provided them (always without any personal any bias; I NEVER mention my feelings about the God myth...) with what they ARE "taught" so venomously in church, where the SS teachers do, in fact, demonize the findings of science.

Naturally, this is to be expected, since those teachers have literally no background in logic or fact-based information. And they are but products of their own oh-so-limited education and biases. [Tis I]they[/i] who do, yup, have the filthy minds, not we who use ours properly.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:40 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default Been away!

I have been off letting science do it's thing on a recent injury to my physical person. But they did the dependable & logical thing and I'm en-route to a recovery! Amazing, huh? The biggest threat is those durned evolving super bacteria that now lurk around most hospitals (MRSA, etc.). I even spurned the kindly but holier-than-thou" look-down attitude of the visiting minister when he stopped by to administer a prayer on behalf of my healing processes. I so nicely told him I did not need God's fingers poking around in my wound channel, and lo and behold, here I am back again!

Anyhow, where pray tell is jimmiej's thought-provoking and info-filled response to my long diatribe?

NADA. Not even some vague & vacuous ETHERIAL OUTGASSING? OK then!

I can only conclude that he indeed agrees with me, that he and the other apologist crowd really can not hold their own in any technical or detailed conversations by the use of their in-depth conversational knowledge of any subject.

Instead, like good grunt foot soldiers they simply march along to the commands of "Leff-rah-leff-rah" right into the fray. Usually that "Fray", like "W"'s God-directed intervention into Iraq, is misguided and overblown, but heck; let's just sacrifice a few good young men and women, since "W"s God will sweep them all up into His loving arms won't He?

(But... uhmmm... what about the Muslims who George sacrificed as well?

And Psst: don't let the truth out: George's God ain't anywhere to be found when any of those passionate kids die!)

Well that's OK, jimmiej.. At least, by your stubborn silence, you tacitly admit your huge technical shortcomings.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:08 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,706,650 times
Do Good people go to hell? I would say....not only the Good, but the Best!

Old 06-11-2012, 08:29 PM

511 posts, read 491,216 times
And yet, totally absent any involvement with any wooden mythical Gods, I also have a good life, friends, family, gift & talents (including those skeptical & critical thinking skills that I'd have to say you, Flem, are sorely lacking...)

You know...I try to read your posts and they seem to often start with well thought out questions, challenges, etc. But, like the above, they seem to often go to...if a person does not think like you, they do not possess critical thinking skills, general intelligence, etc. I'm glad you have a good life, friends and family. I never said I was the exclusive possessor of these things. Of course you have gifts and talents...you and I just disagree on the source of those.

Asheville et al are filled with disrespect for the relentless diatribe of demonization that accompanies any thoughtful debate with a Christian here. To wit: when cornered, you guys are proven incapable of a thoughtful response, choosing rather to critique our lifestyles, our beliefs and our command of knowledge. Too bad for you.

You sound like you're describing yourself, Asheville et al. I would bet that most original posts start with an anti-Christian statement/question/etc which soon becomes a relentless diatribe of demonization. Go back to my posts and find one where I critique your lifestyle...actually...that's something I couldn't care less about. I think, however, there are many on both sides of this debate who do that. In fact...most of the posts here quickly degrade to name calling.

I also note your braggadocio about making money as well. I used to be in that ego-boat as well, making nicely into 6+ figures, and am now a lot more psychologically comfortable, not having to lease the latest Beemer or to be seen in a Brioni suit. Even my cigars have taken a distinct downturn, but I do enjoy a really good Bourbon... (Oh oh; another admitted sin: drinking the libations of hard work and Kentucky corn mash... save me, lordie, save me!)

No braggadocio on the money I make. My point was that I have been blessed by that and use it to serve others. Actually...I don't make any figures...i built and sold three companies and have way more than i need in the "bank" (even though I'm incapable of a critical thought...but who's name calling). I live in a 2,500 sq ft house, drive an F-150 and don't even know what a Brioni suit is. That stuff you mention doesn't matter to me. I prefer beer, BBQ and Jimmy Buffett music on the beach. Although I do enjoy Makers 46. Who said that's a sin?...oh wait...that was an attempt at humor. Anyway...I use my blessings to build schools and clinics in South Africa, India, Brazil and Hondurus. I also fly premie babies from Central America to the U.S.

Haha...now I'm starting to drone on like that Rifl...oops...sorry. That was my attempt at humor...don't be too offended. Anyway...I wonder if you and your compadres can go through an entire post without calling people names and acting like school yard bullies. I think I will give it a try. You game?

Old 06-11-2012, 08:38 PM

511 posts, read 491,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem125 View Post

You know...I try to read your posts and they seem to often start with well thought out questions, challenges, etc. But, like the above, they seem to often go to...if a person does not think like you, they do not possess critical thinking skills, general intelligence, etc. I'm glad you have a good life, friends and family. I never said I was the exclusive possessor of these things. Of course you have gifts and talents...you and I just disagree on the source of those.

You sound like you're describing yourself, Asheville et al. I would bet that most original posts start with an anti-Christian statement/question/etc which soon becomes a relentless diatribe of demonization. Go back to my posts and find one where I critique your lifestyle...actually...that's something I couldn't care less about. I think, however, there are many on both sides of this debate who do that. In fact...most of the posts here quickly degrade to name calling.

No braggadocio on the money I make. My point was that I have been blessed by that and use it to serve others. Actually...I don't make any figures...i built and sold three companies and have way more than i need in the "bank" (even though I'm incapable of a critical thought...but who's name calling). I live in a 2,500 sq ft house, drive an F-150 and don't even know what a Brioni suit is. That stuff you mention doesn't matter to me. I prefer beer, BBQ and Jimmy Buffett music on the beach. Although I do enjoy Makers 46. Who said that's a sin?...oh wait...that was an attempt at humor. Anyway...I use my blessings to build schools and clinics in South Africa, India, Brazil and Hondurus. I also fly premie babies from Central America to the U.S.

Haha...now I'm starting to drone on like that Rifl...oops...sorry. That was my attempt at humor...don't be too offended. Anyway...I wonder if you and your compadres can go through an entire post without calling people names and acting like school yard bullies. I think I will give it a try. You game?

Rifle...this is a response to you (in case that wasn't too obvious)...I gotta figure out how to do all those separate quotes in one post...oh well.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:09 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
If you believe in God then you have one.
If you believe in a Heaven then you have one.
If you believe in Hell, you guessed it, then you have one.
If you don't, then you don't.
If you believe in an Alien planet, then there is one.
If you believe people with blue eyes are sexier, than they are.
If you believe seeing a black cat brings you bad luck, then you'll see the bad.
If you believe your star sign directs your destiny then it will.
If you believe that eating a candy bar a day with make you work harder, you will.

Perception is a wonderful thing sometimes and sometimes it's not so wonderful.

Heaven's Gate (religious group) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Alien suicide.
The Jonestown Massacre: Mass suicide in the name of God
suicide for god.
Howard S. Friedman, Ph.D.: How Prayer Leads To Better Health and Longer Life
Prayer makes you healthy.

Religion Makes You Fat - YouTube
Religion makes you fat.

It's just so complex, ya know! If you want there to be a hell, then believe there is. It's that easy. I can't really address the REAL or not part, as you can see it's not easy to do so. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality