Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 08:16 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Try to understand - the concept of time as we know it is not the same as God's time.

One of God's days could be 1000 years long, not just 24 hours.

God created the heavens and the earth, the light and the darkness, the sky, the seas, the vegetation and plants, the winged creatures and sea creatures, including the dinosaurs, and other animals that roamed the earth.

THEN, in some period of time - not an actual day - after the time of the dinosaurs had passed, God decided to make a man in his own image. He placed the man in is "garden of Eden" and gave him dominion over all other living creatures.

After a time, God decided it was not good for the man to be alone, so he created for him a partner and a way for these two to create their own men going forward.

I hope this answers your question?
Just playing devil's advocate here:

On what basis do you claim that God's time is different from time as measured by human beings? It seems to me that a statement as fundamental as this should have something behind it for substantiation.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:25 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i read that in the original version of the bible before the translation there is a talk of an animal bigger than any animal we know of but isn't explained..maybe those were dinosaurs?
I'm very curious where you found an original version, since the various parts originated in many different places in different languages. I'd link to see a quote from a specific chapter and verse to support what you say here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post
Yeah I read something like that too years ago. It was in an old family bible we have and it said something about how god and the angels looked down at earth and saw the creatures/beasts of the earth. He removed them or kille them off and then started creating the earth as he wanted.
You read something like that too? Where? I've not ever heard of such a claim in a Bible produced since the King James Version, so perhaps it is an earlier translation. Maybe you can rummage around a little and come up with a reference for a Bible that speaks of an animal bigger than any animal we know and share that information with us.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:42 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Just playing devil's advocate here:

On what basis do you claim that God's time is different from time as measured by human beings? It seems to me that a statement as fundamental as this should have something behind it for substantiation.

since when did any lack of evidence ever stop them in the past from making wild assertions

the bit i find hillarious is how believers are so quick to tell you that we dont understand gods ways yet in order to confidently make such a statement must surely require a deep understanding of how god thinks , a paradox of the humble and arrogant

Old 06-08-2012, 09:57 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the bit i find hillarious is how believers are so quick to tell you that we dont understand gods ways yet in order to confidently make such a statement must surely require a deep understanding of how god thinks , a paradox of the humble and arrogant
Try to keep up Bob!! That mysterious, unfathomable, unapproachable, unknowable, enigma of a god was about 10 years ago. Haven't you heard?? TODAY, every Christian has a 'personal relationship' with what was once a mysterious, unfathomable, unapproachable, unknowable enigma!

Old 06-08-2012, 10:21 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Try to keep up Bob!! That mysterious, unfathomable, unapproachable, unknowable, enigma of a god was about 10 years ago. Haven't you heard?? TODAY, every Christian has a 'personal relationship' with what was once a mysterious, unfathomable, unapproachable, unknowable enigma!

another paradox , they also say the bible and word of god hasnt changed in 2000 years

Old 06-08-2012, 10:26 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
A very one-sided personal relationship.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:35 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
A very one-sided personal relationship.
Worship me or else! G*d dammit!!! Yea. That pretty one sided!

Old 06-08-2012, 10:42 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Yes you do -if you expect anyone to take you seriously. Faith claims without support are worthless.

Gone pretty well, so far. have a nice day.
Frankly, I don't care if anyone "takes me seriously"

The man asked a question, I gave him an answer from a Christian perspective.

You, and he, may not like my answer because there is not the kind of "proof" you'd prefer , but it's still an answer.

Everyone here already knows that the definition of faith is "belief in something even in the absence of proof".

You have no faith, I have no proof - or at least none that would satisfy you.

There's really nothing more to say as I'm not interested in debating anyone

Old 06-08-2012, 10:46 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
I personally believe this is merely theist-speak. Folk say stuff but really do not think how it actually sounds or more precisely how ridiculous it sounds.

I think it means you have to be as nutty as me to actually understand what I am saying.

That whole personal relationship thingy is also just another in a long line of clichés which means "I talk to myself a lot, and myself talks back to me". Like they say, it takes two to tango. It is very easy to use these clichés w/o really thinking it through.

Whenever I had issues as a believer and discussed them with the pastor, he always managed to slip in a "don't worry, we all know you love the lord" which is pretty much a non answer.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:47 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
There's really nothing more to say as I'm not interested in debating anyone
So what is your point in being on a discussion forum....to preach??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality