Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 10:36 AM

13,139 posts, read 22,780,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I hope youre not referring to me when you say 'man is a bunch of hairy apes' because I believe and know macro evolution to be one of the biggest frauds to be perpetuated on mankind...
Lucky for you, evolution allows species change over time, so maybe in a few million years future humans won't be apes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 10:47 AM

28,054 posts, read 29,876,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Jesus is the exact representation of God...he IS God , he is Divine .. and he claimed to be on many occasions.
I agree with that.

Quote:
God is made up of three distinct personalities : The Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit all of which are the same essence . Not three Gods..but One God in three persons ... the Trinity.
Three personalities? That's Biblical?

Quote:
When we read of and see Jesus in the Bible...we are seeing what God is truly like ...his very essence, person, thoughts, actions. It was God himself walking the earth for some 33 years and it was God himself who took away our sins on the cross .
So God wasn't in Heaven after all? Interesting.

Perhaps our difference of opinion is one of semantics. You say you believe the Father and the Son (and presumably the Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit) are different personalities but just one God. I believe they are three divine persons who are collectively known as "God." My point in all of this is to illustrate that the Son of God, while having every one of His Father's divine attributes, will never "become" His own Father as they are physically distinct from one another. Likewise, none of us will ever "become" either God the Father or His Son Jesus Christ. We will always be who were are now, but we do have the ability -- and the God-given responsibility -- to become perfect, as He is. We have the responsibility to do our best to be as Christlike as we can in our everyday lives, and God, by His grace, will ultimately sancitify and exalt those who have been the most faithful to Him.

Last edited by Katzpur; 06-11-2012 at 10:57 AM..

Old 06-11-2012, 04:37 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,779,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I've never really thought too deeply on this subject but another post made me wonder why it's generally considered high-level heresy and even "of the devil" for men to even presume they can become gods?

So why is that? If god is the father and we are god's children, why would god not want us to grow up and be like him (i.e. like the Mormons believe)?

Just for the record, I think men are destined to become "gods"... through the power of science. One day, science and technology will allow humanity to do everything the biblical god is described as doing. There might not be a god today, but provided we don't do something stupid as a species and kill ourselves off, perhaps there will be.
I don't believe that God is a man, nor a father nor are we his children, but rather that we do create our own life experience. So in essence we are the Creator of our own world. So I do believe we are our own God who is our Higher Self, but that we are not a God over anything else.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:03 PM

707 posts, read 686,004 times
We can get to the moon, but Andromeda? We have a few billion years to find out. But He created it all. Man...I am never going to hold my breath on that one. God refers to a Being who created it all and not the creation being able to create. Big difference in ideas.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
We can get to the moon, but Andromeda? We have a few billion years to find out. But He created it all. Man...I am never going to hold my breath on that one. God refers to a Being who created it all and not the creation being able to create. Big difference in ideas.
That of course is operating under the assumption there IS a creator.

But if there is a god, who created he/she/it? And if god was created, the created would in fact be creating.

We could never be gods to god, but we could be gods to our creations... and ourselves.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:59 PM

7,065 posts, read 12,317,896 times
Quote:
We have already created "synthetic life" (a bacterium even!) and are well on our way to making multicellular life from scratch. We will see it happen easily within this century.

Craig Venter creates synthetic life form | Science | The Guardian

Just think how far we've progressed in only a couple hundred years.... from pooping in outhouses, lighting the night with candles, loosing 1/2 our children and normally dying around age 40 from any number of diseases...

... to indoor plumbing, techno-wonderlands, instant global communication and genetically engineered creatures of all descriptions.

Now give us another million years to develop! Where will we end up? As virtual gods and literal "masters of the universe".
Be careful there. In a 15 billion year old universe, it can be argued that another "god-like" species evolved long before us and created our planet as we know it. That species then evolved into a higher dimension of reality; something we just might do too in a few billion more years of evolution. Or do you really think that we humans would be the first ever to have done such a thing?

Old 06-13-2012, 03:11 AM

496 posts, read 482,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Be careful there. In a 15 billion year old universe, it can be argued that another "god-like" species evolved long before us and created our planet as we know it. That species then evolved into a higher dimension of reality; something we just might do too in a few billion more years of evolution. Or do you really think that we humans would be the first ever to have done such a thing?

That would be an interference with the setting that allowed for their very existence, and as well would have nothing to do with their survival and therefore immoral.

All immoral is irrational and all irrational is immoral. So that would be a dumb idea-move... downgrading the smart alien into the smart-alec category.

The idea in the Trinity in my opinion is a mystery and Ive seen different examples....like a pitcher of water and pouring glass's of the same water out of the pitcher. The one which makes sense for myself which I made up a couple of months ago is

Holy Spirit...God...Jesus
Actual self...known self...societal self. ( the full individual

Theres different ways to interpret things...The idea of becoming "like God" seems rational as long as the idea of God is comprehended with a reasonable defining property of god, that being All Innocent. A god wouldn't be associated with things that the human thinks, is power. It wouldn't seem to make sense.

Last edited by peter-1; 06-13-2012 at 03:20 AM..

Old 06-13-2012, 07:23 AM

707 posts, read 686,004 times
Quote:
That of course is operating under the assumption there IS a creator.

But if there is a god, who created he/she/it? And if god was created, the created would in fact be creating.

We could never be gods to god, but we could be gods to our creations... and ourselves.
But that is not God in the normal sense of the word. God is the creator of eveything as the definition goes, or is referring to. But even to say we become technologically advanced enough to create life and this ever so vast almost endlesss universe is such a pipe dream, IMO that it's completely laughable.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Yea, I do think that's a definite possibility. I've said it before... but it seems clear to me that something is going on with regard to the whole UFO thing. I'm just not ready to jump to any conclusions.

I am not entirely convinced we are actually living out our lives in the "real" universe either... if someday we will be capable of living forever and building virtual worlds that are indistinguishable from reality through simple scientific advancement, who's to say somebody hasn't already done it and we are the AI programs or even plugged into some "late 20th to early 21st century life training program" simulation right now?

Wouldn't it be something to "die", only to wake up on a table in the Real World, get graded for our performance and moved to the next level... or sent back to repeat it if we screwed up? It's funny to think that science and religion could be true from that perspective...

Yea, its a bit crazy but I'm a long-time CD forum regular and work for the Man, so I'm entitled to at least a couple pet wack-job ideas.

Last edited by Chango; 06-13-2012 at 10:41 AM..

Old 06-13-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
But that is not God in the normal sense of the word. God is the creator of eveything as the definition goes, or is referring to. But even to say we become technologically advanced enough to create life and this ever so vast almost endlesss universe is such a pipe dream, IMO that it's completely laughable.
Nah. It was laughable for men to fly at one time too, or go to the moon. The only limit to the human race is our imagination and our tool-making capability at any given time in history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality