Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:04 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
hi I wonder if you have any historical evidence of the Bible's date publication, ...........

Can you tell me why or how the bible is ended up in the hands of the church?
Who are you asking??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Indeed. I have pointed this out before but I doubt that it will the last time the original Hebrew is chuwg Pronunciation khüg (1) circle, circuit, compass
2) (BDB) vault (of the heavens) Strong's concordances, Blue letter Bible.

If a sphere or globe was meant rather than a flat circle, the hebrew word is 'dwr'
Don't you go confusing them with facts now bro.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:11 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default You gotz it! Right on the head, so to speak!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
[/i]Is there no limit to the depth of deception that you fundies will stoop in your attempts to prove that your Bible is infallible??
Answer: [easily confirmed btw...]

No. Apparently purposeful lying is an accepted format and behavior within the rapidly failing Christian paradigm, lest they end up like the doomed near-survivors of the Titanic, out at sea but in a leaking lifeboat. Yikes!

That desperate fear-factor alone is a prime driver of course! Whatever makes them feel safer and self-righteous is A-OK.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:46 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,397,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Who are you asking??

hi

just in time , there was still the edith button, my post above is aimed to the op

thanks man l will never forget it

Old 06-13-2012, 11:13 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,397,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

That desperate fear-factor alone is a prime driver of course! Whatever makes them feel safer and self-righteous is A-OK.

hi

the evolution of the masses does not happen quickly, the teopolitical intuition was formidable an invincible formula, inculcated over time through violence and brainwashing, as usually the church makes baptism rite on the new born.

I do not want to make comparisons but the brainwashing is used by all dictatorships

may l ask you ...are you really a scientist ?

your posts proves that you have a warrior fighter character, l thought you were a senior army officer
if the question embarrasses you do not respond...ignore it ..l will understand

Old 06-13-2012, 12:39 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,158,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
You will undoubtedly refuse to acknowledge that " He spreads the heavens out like a canvas" suggests an expanding universe too, right?
Yes because that would be a ridiculous interpretation and isn't what the author was stating. He was envisioning the heavens as a tarp draped over the flat disc of the earth.

And of course, the universe is expanding in all directions. That is NOT very canvas like.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:03 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
hi

the evolution of the masses does not happen quickly, the teopolitical intuition was formidable an invincible formula, inculcated over time through violence and brainwashing, as usually the church makes baptism rite on the new born.

I do not want to make comparisons but the brainwashing is used by all dictatorships

may l ask you ...are you really a scientist ?

your posts proves that you have a warrior fighter character, l thought you were a senior army officer
if the question embarrasses you do not respond...ignore it ..l will understand
He really is and an expert in matters boiloligical automobelical and firearmetical. He was an army officer in a former life.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:16 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,042,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Indeed. I have pointed this out before but I doubt that it will the last time the original Hebrew is chuwg Pronunciation khüg (1) circle, circuit, compass
2) (BDB) vault (of the heavens) Strong's concordances, Blue letter Bible.

If a sphere or globe was meant rather than a flat circle, the hebrew word is 'dwr'
I think one of the major problems with the Douay-Rheims translation (which released Genesis - Job in 1609-10) is that it is based off of the Latin Vulgate. This makes it several times removed from the original Hebrew text.

In addition, the Book of Job is probably THE most difficult book in the Hebrew Bible to translate. Our many advancements in our knowledge of Hebrew (and the addition of various manuscripts of Peshi-ttas [segmented to avoid stupid censoring], Dead Sea Scroll fragments, etc.) have added considerably to our understanding of the Book, but not completely. The biggest advance has been the many discoveries of "Canaanite" literature and our ablity to use comparative techniques to give us a better understanding of the book. Problems still remain, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Here's another

Job 26:7
New King James Version (NKJV)
7 He stretches out the north over empty space;
He hangs the earth on nothing.

Referring to the earth floating in space
I showed earlier that the NKJV is even problematic, but now that some more information has been provided by Quixotic Hobbit, Arequipa and myself on how the ancients viewed their world, it might be a good time to see how this verse fits in with it's surrounding context and what that might tell us. The translation is by Leo Perdue, and is from Widom In Revolt: Metaphorical Theology in the Book of Job (JSOTS 112), and you will notice that because of the awful state of the text in these sections of Job - Bildad's speech has received a slight alteration in the strophic placement. This is normal. You will probably find many references to what has been previously pointed out, as will as additional motifs concerning the Semitic Combat Myth (Yamm [Sea], Leviathan and Rahab feature in this) which resulted in Creation after the battle, and the Metaphor of Rebellion. Enjoy!
Strophe I (25.2-6)
2. Dominion and terror are his, he who establishes peace in his heights.
3. Is there any number to his troops? Upon whom does his light not shine?
4. How then may a man be righteous before God? And how may one born
of woman be pure?
5. Behold he commands the moon, and does it not shine; even the stars are
not pure in his eyes.
6. How much less then the human creature who is a maggot, And the son of
humanity who is a worm.

Strophe II (26.5-10)
5. The Rephaim writhe below, the waters and their denizens.
6. Sheol is naked before him, and Abaddon has no covering.
7. He is the one who stretches Zaphon over the abyss, and hangs the earth over nothingness.
8. He gathers the water in his thick clouds, and the cloud beneath them is not split open.
9. He encloses the appearance of (his) throne, he spreads his cloud over it.
10. He has inscribed a circle over the face of the waters, at the boundary of light and darkness.

Strophe III (26.11-14)
11. The pillars of heaven tremble, stunned by his rebuke,
12. By his strength he has quieted the sea, and by his perception he smote Rahab.
13. By his wind he ensnared Sea in a net, his hand pierced the fleeing serpent.
14. Behold these are only the traces of his power, and how small a whisper we hear of him.
And the thunder of his strength who could
perceive?
Rather than take a verse here or there to "prove" the scientific acumen of the Joban author, one must take it all for the complete worldview. As I said earlier, it becomes increasingly difficult to reconcile with our modern knowledge. But that's okay! Only if one is brave enough to claim Divine Authorship for the book does that become a problem. Anyone here foolhardy enough to claim such a thing? Sigh...probably.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:23 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Very probably, but that doesn't matter. It has to be borne in mind that the Theist is trying to make a case for scientific knowledge in the Bible - to us, not for themselves, since they already believe it to be full of information that is correct because it comes (through 'inspiration') from God.

We are giving reasons why the case does not stand up and why we have good reasons for doubting that Bible really contains scientific, God-derived or even reliable information and we can give more reasons why we consider it to be faulty, unreliable and very definitely the work of men and with no inspiration from anyone other than men.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:43 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
The Bible doesn't say the Earth is a sphere. Always convenient how creationists manipulate the text to support their views based on modern knowledge. Isaiah says the earth is a circle. A circle is not a sphere in Hebrew or English.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:53 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,124,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I don't doubt such ancient people understood that some things do fly. Just seeing birds would give that understanding. I'm still inclined to think the Egyptian object is most likely little more than stylized representation of a bird. ...

LOL! Yes, I've seen them. I have to say that it just looks like a stylized bird. The notion that it represents an aircraft reminds me of the old notion "Turn it around like this and squint your eyes. See? It looks like a plane." Same as looking at a carving an seeing a guy operating a spacecraft.

Except for one salient and obvious point. NO BIRD has a vertical tail like these objects do. And NO BIRD has a secondary rear set of wings like these objects do. ONLY modern aircraft have these characteristics. These objects don't look at all like stylized birds. They look like stylized jets.

So stop squinting.

To me, it is still a mystery. And I love mysteries

Last edited by Astron1000; 06-13-2012 at 08:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality