Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 12:34 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times

Advertisements

Faith Healing Parents Watch Their Child Die… but Won’t Be Getting Jail Time for It

Zachery Swezey, dead from parental neglect or 'religious freedom'... whichever you prefer (via The Wenatchee World)
Zachery Swezey was a 17 year-old high school junior when he got appendicitis. Unpleasant, but millions of people go through it without incident. Unfortunately for Zachery, his parents believed in the power of prayer over the wisdom of medical experts. So, instead of going to the hospital, his parents stood over him, doubtlessly watching him writhe in unspeakable agony, while they prayed for him to get better. Meanwhile, actual help was a phone call away, but that was irrelevant to them. Zachery died while his parents watched. His death was totally preventable and lacked even the mercy of painkillers.(more...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 12:57 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
I certainly do not think that any parents should get away with hiding behind religion in a case like this. It was neglect to the point of killing a child and the full weight of the law should be brought down on such people.

There was a TIME article on the subject some time ago which had a wonderfully beautiful little girl die from a very treatable form of diabetes for no other reason than the parents thought the treatment was an affront to god. They too should be locked up for criminal neglect in my view.

The law is the law. Religion should not be an "out".

Old 06-12-2012, 11:34 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times
This is nothing less than murder!

My middle son had appendicitis , even with a heavy dose of narcotic pain killers he was in extreme pain. How can any parent just stand by and watch their child go thru that and allow him to die in agony?

I respect the rights of others to believe as they choose but this crosses the line. They should have been charged with first degree murder.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:38 AM

1,974 posts, read 1,940,422 times
who will save children from their brainwashed parents?

Old 06-12-2012, 12:01 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
I'm sure glad I didn't have such parents...I had the same condition at the same age as this boy, and believe me it's painful, but I was rushed to the hospital and ended well...These parents should be locked up, and never have custody of any human young or old ever again....

Old 06-12-2012, 01:09 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
I'm sure to get flamed for this but here it goes.

First of all I'm sad that this boy died however IF you lock his parents up then your taking away their rights to believe as they want too. And your looking to have your right taken away at some point also.
I don't agree with the people from WBC & them protesting but it IS there right to believe as they wish.
When I see things such as this I see that religion becomes closer & closer to be against the law. This isn't just about THIER faith but yours also.

Last edited by reed067; 06-12-2012 at 01:20 PM..

Old 06-12-2012, 01:18 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,830 times
I was a Christian before, so I know how they might have felt. And believe me, it was not easy for them to watch their child die. But some people would do anything for their belief (or faith). Even to the point of being tortured and eaten by lions... and giving everything up.

So it's not that their heart was cold...because I am sure they have suffered the agony of losing their child... but if God wants something, God gets it... there is no other way

You would have to disobey God if you wanted to save your child and then you are betraying God and your faith

It's easy to blame them for not saving their child, but they had the most difficult decision of their life, and now they probably feel like God has tested them BIG TIME and they have passed the test of staying faithful

This situation requires feeling compassion for both, the parents and the child. BOTH were doing something they really did not want to do. BOTH are victims of unfortunate beliefs

So when YOU simply rush your child to the hospital and get the treatment, you will never get to feel their agony at the decision they had to make. For you it was too easy. For them it was extremely painful.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:53 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I'm sure to get flamed for this but here it goes.

First of all I'm sad that this boy died however IF you lock his parents up then your taking away their rights to believe as they want too. And your looking to have your right taken away at some point also.
I don't agree with the people from WBC & them protesting but it IS there right to believe as they wish.
When I see things such as this I see that religion becomes closer & closer to be against the law. This isn't just about THIER faith but yours also.
Except their beliefs and their child's might not be the same. And a child has every right to live over the objection of his parents. I don't think any parents should walk away from taking their child to the doctor because they have a religious objection i'm sorry. And if that reduces some religious freedoms in this country then so be it.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:17 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
To win a homicide case in court, you need to prove criminal intent. The parents did not intend for their son to die, nor cause the condition that resulted in death... so a conviction for a more serious charge would have been impossible.

I personally don't think any law should be changed because of stuff like this. Those requirements are there to safeguard your (and my) freedom.

But the law can't save everyone, and neither can I. It is a sad, pointless tragedy, nevertheless but I would not sacrifice liberty to keep it from happening again, nor infringe on people's rights to believe stupid things. That opens the door to gestapo-ish horror.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:27 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Except their beliefs and their child's might not be the same. And a child has every right to live over the objection of his parents. I don't think any parents should walk away from taking their child to the doctor because they have a religious objection i'm sorry. And if that reduces some religious freedoms in this country then so be it.

It might strip ALL religous freedoms away from us I agree with you about the childs & parents belief, which is why I think the childs rights should over power the adults in cases like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality