Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 04:23 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times

Advertisements

Rob, your testimony touches me beyond words.. Truly, God is good! That still, small voice is the one that leads us to the light...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 04:24 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,381 times
Dude,
We have come here through intercourse, yet not all are from Penna.
No one is just here for sex. Sex is an aspect of life not the whole/full scope of it. So why should it matter what another says/thinks?
I really would like to know why so many limit themselves to an opinion that is none of our business to begin with.
Beams of Light/Love,Muse

Old 09-27-2007, 06:14 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Rob, I am so glad that you seem to have found the peace you deserve...Hugs, Blue

Old 09-27-2007, 08:02 PM

218 posts, read 606,313 times
WCRob, I don't participate in the religion forum as much as others, but just wanted to say that in making a public declaration and finally deciding on where to stand can be so liberating. You've been so brave and forthcoming. I find it hard to reveal myself to people. I admire you for it. I wish you well in your spiritual journey.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:25 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Thumbs up I can't believe I just saw this thread!

Like GASunshine, I would like to publically applaud your bravery and forthcomingness, Rob. I admire you for it.

It may shock many of you to hear me say this, but I feel that you have absolutely made the best decision for yourself possible. I believe you have heard the voice of God and your decision is brave, yet worth it, because now that peace is there!

As we all know jeffncandace has vigorously defended the homosexual position on these boards, if only because I have a burden in my heart for these people, struggling for peace with the world, and with themselves. In my experience the Christian struggling with sexual, physical and emotional desires for the same sex does not usually have a positive outcome...so I question what seems like such an unfair and heartbreaking existence for these lost and searching souls.

I know that my opinion out here in computerland doesn't really matter, but Rob, for what it's worth I think the world of you, and pray for your continual enlightenment and peace, growing in your relationship with our Creator.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:22 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,238,136 times
Red face Sorry it took so long to get back!!

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I'm having a lot of trouble with my daughter. I can not begin to imagine what you have gone through. I thank you so much for being so open. My uncle goes to a catholic church that tells him there is no difference in loving a man, that God is a God of love.
I'm sure there are just as many Catholic Churchs or Orders that believe the opposite. Thank you for the advice and your testimony If you don't mind I want to show it to my Uncle. I think it would mean more to him knowing you are also Catholic.
Please remember him in your prayers.
I really appreciate everything and I will keep you in my prayers,
and to borrow a saying from a sweet lady.
Take gentle care.
thefer

Old 09-29-2007, 10:08 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Welcome to the club, brother. I am also celibate/chaste by choice. I also was given a stern warning about two weeks ago on this forum on the topic of homosexuality. ( )

My feelings are I have known I was gay since I was four years old - long before I knew what sexuality was, and now live my life as a catholic following the catholic church's teachings on homosexuality.

I still have a few gay friends in the community and do not judge others for who they love. I love my gay brothers and sisters as I do all human beings. I only take my own sins to the alter.

My main issue is I just happen to know first hand there are literally thousands of gays who do not march in gay pride parades, and all that other out, loud and proud lifestyle, but who are quietly keeping their passions a secret. I don't condemn or condone homosexuality. I just know for my own life, I choose to not live a gay life.
Keep the faith, brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
For those who may have wondered (or maybe not ) why I haven't posted much in the past week.....well, I'm ashamed to say I mouthed off a little bit and was given a stern "time out" by the mods. Perhaps it was for the best, because not only did it give me time to think about some things regarding who I am as a believer, but it also allowed me to come to some realizations about who I want to be - and most importantly, who I think God wants me to be. I also have decided that there are some things I want to make publicly known. Those are as follows:

First: I owe some of you an apology regarding the way I have "spoken" to you in recent posts. Actually, I've realized that there are quite a number of posts I've made here at C-D that have been snide or insulting, and in general don't reflect the love, kindness, and gentleness that are supposed to be defining characteristics of a true believer, and I regret that. From here on out, I'm going to strive to make sure that whatever I say in the forums is motivated and guided by a heart and spirit of love and kindness. If I fail, please forgive me and know that I'm only human and sometimes lose my perspective.

Second: In various posts I've made, and particularly in certain threads I've started, I've revealed my thoughts pertaining to homosexuality. Without going into great detail, I'll just sum up by stating that off and on over the course of many years I have struggled to discern whether or not homosexuality was acceptable to God - and in my posts, I've given my insights on the subject, and have shared my own personal stories about my experiences and the various thoughts I've had with respect to it. Along with that, I've indicated in previous posts that I do not experience any desires for, or attractions to, women that feel "natural" and unforced. Instead, my attractions and desires were directed toward men. One of my heart's desires in life was to share my life with someone special, and have someone to call my own - someone with whom I could be romantic and intimate, and grow old with - and I wanted that relationship to feel as natural for me, and be as acceptable to God, as those who are straight are permitted to experience it. Responding to that, some of you told me that there are things that straight people want to have, but are not "allowed" to experience for various reasons. My response was to say that for all the different struggles that some straight people endure, they are nevertheless permitted to experience the love of someone special in their lives, and that such love would be natural for them, and acceptable to God. Some of you then held strong to your positions and stated that perhaps my cross to bear in life was one of remaining celibate, and not having any sort of intimate, romantic, and/or sexual relationship with a woman. In anger and resentment, I reacted to those statements with incredulity - a refusal to accept that it was how it must be for someone such as myself.

However, something inside me has now changed. In recent days (and by that, I mean "in general") I have begun to experience a change within my spirit. Without going into detail about how that has come about (perhaps I will leave that subject for a different thread), for now it is well to say that I am no longer filled with any anger or resentment regarding the prospect that I may indeed live celibately the rest of my life. I have come to the final position within my heart, mind, soul, and spirit regarding how I feel about homosexuality. In reaching deep within myself and examining what I actually believe homosexuality is, I have come to the conclusion that, for me personally, it is a disorder that was caused by a myriad of factors. I do not believe I was born gay, and I do not believe I chose it, but I WILL state that I emphatically believe all homosexual sex is sinful. I am in no position to say all Christians and/or homosexuals should feel this way, but I DO respect the traditional Christian position on this matter.

Now, does that mean I'm turning straight? No - not at all. What it DOES mean is that I renounce my interest in sexuality altogether. I have chosen and accepted a position of complete celibacy for the rest of my life, and will not engage in any sort of relationship with anyone, man or woman, that could be construed as anything more than purely platonic in nature.

Therefore, I hereby issue my official and final public renouncement of homosexuality.

I realize that what I've said will cause some of you to view me as an "enemy" of sorts, whereas you may have before supported me. And if that is indeed what transpires, I regret that it is so - but I will have to accept that. Likewise, some of you may applaud me. Either way, my position from now on is that I will no longer debate the issue, nor will I engage in any further discussions about the subject, other than to reiterate and support the traditional Christian position. The bottom line is that I felt it was time for me to take a stand, state my official position, and put this matter to rest.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:48 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefer View Post
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I'm having a lot of trouble with my daughter. I can not begin to imagine what you have gone through. I thank you so much for being so open. My uncle goes to a catholic church that tells him there is no difference in loving a man, that God is a God of love.
You're saying that this Catholic church condones homosexuality?

If so, your uncle needs to get out of that church, and you need to say something to the bishop presiding over that diocese, because such a church is not teaching in accordance with correct church doctrine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefer View Post
I'm sure there are just as many Catholic Churchs or Orders that believe the opposite. Thank you for the advice and your testimony If you don't mind I want to show it to my Uncle. I think it would mean more to him knowing you are also Catholic.
Please remember him in your prayers.
I really appreciate everything and I will keep you in my prayers,
and to borrow a saying from a sweet lady.
Take gentle care.
thefer
Something I should mention is that I'm not yet Catholic, and I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I was. I do indeed believe the Catholic church's doctrine is more correct and true than Protestantism, but I have not yet converted. That's something I will be looking into soon.

You are certainly more than welcome to share what I've written with your uncle. However, if he's in a church that is falsely teaching that homosexuality is acceptable, it may be a bit more difficult to convince him of the sinfulness of it.

Thank you once again for your kind words.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:01 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
For those who may have wondered (or maybe not ) why I haven't posted much in the past week.....well, I'm ashamed to say I mouthed off a little bit and was given a stern "time out" by the mods. Perhaps it was for the best, because not only did it give me time to think about some things regarding who I am as a believer, but it also allowed me to come to some realizations about who I want to be - and most importantly, who I think God wants me to be. I also have decided that there are some things I want to make publicly known. Those are as follows:

First: I owe some of you an apology regarding the way I have "spoken" to you in recent posts. Actually, I've realized that there are quite a number of posts I've made here at C-D that have been snide or insulting, and in general don't reflect the love, kindness, and gentleness that are supposed to be defining characteristics of a true believer, and I regret that. From here on out, I'm going to strive to make sure that whatever I say in the forums is motivated and guided by a heart and spirit of love and kindness. If I fail, please forgive me and know that I'm only human and sometimes lose my perspective.

Second: In various posts I've made, and particularly in certain threads I've started, I've revealed my thoughts pertaining to homosexuality. Without going into great detail, I'll just sum up by stating that off and on over the course of many years I have struggled to discern whether or not homosexuality was acceptable to God - and in my posts, I've given my insights on the subject, and have shared my own personal stories about my experiences and the various thoughts I've had with respect to it. Along with that, I've indicated in previous posts that I do not experience any desires for, or attractions to, women that feel "natural" and unforced. Instead, my attractions and desires were directed toward men. One of my heart's desires in life was to share my life with someone special, and have someone to call my own - someone with whom I could be romantic and intimate, and grow old with - and I wanted that relationship to feel as natural for me, and be as acceptable to God, as those who are straight are permitted to experience it. Responding to that, some of you told me that there are things that straight people want to have, but are not "allowed" to experience for various reasons. My response was to say that for all the different struggles that some straight people endure, they are nevertheless permitted to experience the love of someone special in their lives, and that such love would be natural for them, and acceptable to God. Some of you then held strong to your positions and stated that perhaps my cross to bear in life was one of remaining celibate, and not having any sort of intimate, romantic, and/or sexual relationship with a woman. In anger and resentment, I reacted to those statements with incredulity - a refusal to accept that it was how it must be for someone such as myself.

However, something inside me has now changed. In recent days (and by that, I mean "in general") I have begun to experience a change within my spirit. Without going into detail about how that has come about (perhaps I will leave that subject for a different thread), for now it is well to say that I am no longer filled with any anger or resentment regarding the prospect that I may indeed live celibately the rest of my life. I have come to the final position within my heart, mind, soul, and spirit regarding how I feel about homosexuality. In reaching deep within myself and examining what I actually believe homosexuality is, I have come to the conclusion that, for me personally, it is a disorder that was caused by a myriad of factors. I do not believe I was born gay, and I do not believe I chose it, but I WILL state that I emphatically believe all homosexual sex is sinful. I am in no position to say all Christians and/or homosexuals should feel this way, but I DO respect the traditional Christian position on this matter.

Now, does that mean I'm turning straight? No - not at all. What it DOES mean is that I renounce my interest in sexuality altogether. I have chosen and accepted a position of complete celibacy for the rest of my life, and will not engage in any sort of relationship with anyone, man or woman, that could be construed as anything more than purely platonic in nature.

Therefore, I hereby issue my official and final public renouncement of homosexuality.

I realize that what I've said will cause some of you to view me as an "enemy" of sorts, whereas you may have before supported me. And if that is indeed what transpires, I regret that it is so - but I will have to accept that. Likewise, some of you may applaud me. Either way, my position from now on is that I will no longer debate the issue, nor will I engage in any further discussions about the subject, other than to reiterate and support the traditional Christian position. The bottom line is that I felt it was time for me to take a stand, state my official position, and put this matter to rest.
i left san francisco, but i did not leave my heart there.
i took it with me.
have a good night.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-30-2007, 01:42 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,238,136 times
Quote:
You're saying that this Catholic church condones homosexuality?

That is what he told me and he goes to mass and I have seen him preparing to pray at night with the lit candles and stuff. I don't mean to be irreverent
I just don't know what it is called. I'm Baptist.

If so, your uncle needs to get out of that church, and you need to say something to the bishop presiding over that diocese, because such a church is not teaching in accordance with correct church doctrine.

I don't think that is possible for me. I live in N.C. and He is in S.C. If I made a
trip to the Beach and went to church with him. Maybe I could work on it.

Something I should mention is that I'm not yet Catholic, and I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I was. I do indeed believe the Catholic church's doctrine is more correct and true than Protestantism, but I have not yet converted. That's something I will be looking into soon.

You are certainly more than welcome to share what I've written with your uncle. However, if he's in a church that is falsely teaching that homosexuality is acceptable, it may be a bit more difficult to convince him of the sinfulness of it.

I agree, he has sought out people that agree with him. He comes from a Protestant background.

Thank you once again for your kind words.
Thank you for your help.
thefer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality