Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:10 AM

679 posts, read 1,439,386 times

Advertisements

Fair enough, kaykay. In your opinion, would there be as much attention paid to such an ad for say a sports memorabilia or cooking event as has been paid to this ad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 10:18 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
Fair enough, kaykay. In your opinion, would there be as much attention paid to such an ad for say a sports memorabilia or cooking event as has been paid to this ad?
Probably not. But it would still be offensive. However, I also think if it portrayed heterosexuals with sex toys, there would likewise be a big stink about it as well.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:23 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
I'm not here to have a personal argument with you. I don't care what you do with your spare time. I just find it a bit condescending that you'd like to determine how some of us should spend ours, suggesting we go to a shelter instead.

By the way, there actually is a wonderful ministry called "Samaritan's Feet" that does wash the feet of the poor, and dejected. And if you could see the looks on the faces of these people that society has cast out, as someone kneels down and lovingly washes their feet, you it would touch you deeply. You really wouldn't be so flip about it.

And once again, I did not complain about the picture.
Pretty sure I never said "I'd like to determine how some of you should spend your time". Again.. your words not mine.

When you say "once again, I did not complain about the picture" you infer that I said you did. For the record.. I never did say you complained about it. Just trying to clear my good name.

I was simply stating my opinion that maybe time would be better spent in other areas of "help". It speaks to a broader issue that actions speak louder than words.

Samaritan's Feet sounds like a great organization. They do something. They don't complain about pictures..

But since this has turned into a rather idiotic argument.. I'll settle it here.

You win. Congrats. Moving on..

Old 09-26-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Address the real point, that the offense is that it's a gay ad and christianity is against homosexuals. Debating who does more charity work is distracting from the point. Tell me specifically why this ad is offensive and how it would still be if it was a bunch of baseball players, cartoon characters, chefs, whatever. I don't believe you can. The entire "offense" is to the fact that this is tailored to gays who your holy book claims are "detestable".
I'm pretty sure that if you had a bunch of NASCAR drivers in the last supper.. Many many people would find it offensive.

Is it more offensive to some because it portrays "homosexuals" in the last supper sure..

Would other people portrayed in the Last Supper be found offensive by some people.. I think so.

I don't think you can say just because its more "homosexual" then that is the only reason people find it offensive.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:35 AM

Location: here at the the present time, but on my way to heaven to meet my Criator
45 posts, read 188,939 times
Thumbs up you read my mind ,girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Homosexuals Mock 'Last Supper' With Sex-Toys Twist (broken link)

Organizers of San Francisco's Folsom Street Fair -- sponsored by Miller Brewing Co. -- have portrayed Christ and his disciples as half-naked homosexual sadomasochists in the event's promotional advertisement, and the conservative group Concerned Women for America is complaining about the hypocrisy of it.

I would love to add my comments but I am sure I would get banned.
I just came to the forum to post about the insult, but you already did. Thank you for doing so.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:40 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Address the real point, that the offense is that it's a gay ad and christianity is against homosexuals. Debating who does more charity work is distracting from the point. Tell me specifically why this ad is offensive and how it would still be if it was a bunch of baseball players, cartoon characters, chefs, whatever. I don't believe you can. The entire "offense" is to the fact that this is tailored to gays who your holy book claims are "detestable".
And to re-state something I asked earlier, how do we even know they're gay?? The fair is mostly a fetish event, and people of ALL orientations practice fetishism... if you don't believe me, do a quick google search (but watch out for the resulting spam, LOL). The picture contains both men and women, who could be straight, gay, bi, or all of the above. The only "source" we have that states their orientation is a conservative website, which obviously has a specific agenda. But all of that shouldn't matter anyway, and I agree with your points PhillyChief!

Old 09-26-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Milan bans Da Vinci parody | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited

FileRoom.org - Many find Chicago-based artist's depiction of the "Last Supper" to be religiously offensive

Mortein: Last supper | Ads of the World

Old 09-26-2007, 10:42 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
But since this has turned into a rather idiotic argument.. I'll settle it here.

You win. Congrats. Moving on..
That being said, can I remind you all to refrain from personal attacks?

Old 09-26-2007, 10:43 AM

Location: here at the the present time, but on my way to heaven to meet my Criator
45 posts, read 188,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Why do you think you'll be banned Citigirl? Personally I find this imagery an absolute mockery of the Christian faith. If the tables were turned and Christians were doing something like this to homosexuals the ACLU would be all over it. If this was a mockery to the Muslim faith then people would be losing jobs, international apologies would be sent to kings and up to allah himself.

In all seriousness why is this humorous? Why is this okay to do to the Christian faith? What if this was done to the Jews, atheists or any other people group...how would you honestly feel?

And Citigirl, I do appreciate your bringing this topic to our attention. Do you happen to know if Kathy Griffin took the photo?
They are so disrespectful! I do not need to say anything about their "art",it speaks for itself. Now do you know why they pick on Christians and not on Muslins? Both do not agree with homosexuals. Christians, most, not all, will pray for them,muslins will blow them up come their next parade.See? They are brave when insulting us, but not brave enough to die for their cause.So they pretend not knowing what muslins say about the subject.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And to re-state something I asked earlier, how do we even know they're gay?? The fair is mostly a fetish event, and people of ALL orientations practice fetishism... if you don't believe me, do a quick google search (but watch out for the resulting spam, LOL). The picture contains both men and women, who could be straight, gay, bi, or all of the above. The only "source" we have that states their orientation is a conservative website, which obviously has a specific agenda. But all of that shouldn't matter anyway, and I agree with your points PhillyChief!
becasue you can tell by looking at them of course... KIDDING!!!

I'm assuming they are because they are dressed like the guys in the Police Academy movie when they go to the "Blue Moon"..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality