U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 04:19 PM

23,152 posts, read 15,146,194 times

Advertisements

Fox News - Breaking News Updates | Latest News Headlines | Photos & News Videos

I remember seeing her on TV. What a nasty woman. Her son is now a Christian.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 04:41 PM

12,157 posts, read 14,803,374 times
So sad that this was the home life he was raised in, but remarkable the way God opened his eyes and his heart. Thanks for sharing. God bless and peace.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:00 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,633,160 times
Telling your child that you wish you would have aborted him is an awful, awful thing to say to your own child. That is horrible, but should be seen as her own individual behavior and not as something that follows as a result of her atheism. I am atheist and would never, ever say something like that to my kids; I love them so much.

I am sorry that guy had to endure whatever bad he had to endure growing up in that household, as I am sorry for any child who has to endure anything like that no matter whether they grew up in a Christian household, a Muslim household, or any other kind of household. There are bad parents in most every ideology, religion, or non-religion.

Children who grow up in homes in which their parents say hateful things to them often have problems as young adults either with drugs and alcohol, or promiscuity, or mental health problems, or what have you. They often haven't been taught healthy coping mechanisms. Healthy coping mechanisms are not exclusive to Christians and other theists; atheists can be taught healthy coping mechanisms as well so that they don't fall into a self-destructive lifestyle.

I know the guy seems to think that atheism leads to materialism and lack of concern for the feelings of others. I can understand why he would think that given the behavior of his mother and how she strongly identified herself. I also know that there are many religious folks who try to make the same claim about atheism and there can be no changing their mind about that. But, let my voice be one that testifies that is not true.

Moderator cut: copyright

Atheism is simply not believing there is a god(s). That is all. Atheism is not guiding philosophy or life stance or set of values, and it certainly isn't a religion. Every atheist is a unique individual. Some may adopt various guiding philosophies, life stances, or sets of values. I am an atheist, but I am also a Unitarian Universalist and a secular humanist, and I once wrote out my values in the form of ten aspirations.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-19-2012 at 04:19 PM..

Old 06-19-2012, 10:26 AM

31,575 posts, read 17,346,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Fox News - Breaking News Updates | Latest News Headlines | Photos & News Videos

I remember seeing her on TV. What a nasty woman. Her son is now a Christian.

Irony?...

Old 06-19-2012, 11:21 AM

16,173 posts, read 11,300,790 times
Perhaps we could drag out some cases of child abuse by Christians....or do you think it doesn't go on?

Old 06-19-2012, 03:58 PM

23,152 posts, read 15,146,194 times
Seems his family was pretty hedonistic and only cared for themselves. Yes, we can find that in any family though.

His mother was killed by an ex-con. Seems she hated religion so much she put her trust in untrustworthy people. I think she was killed over her money. Took her grand daughter down with her and that is the saddest part.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:17 PM

8,831 posts, read 10,487,915 times
I think even atheists are/were appalled by her......she just doesn't represent atheism at all. In fact, her nastiness and in-your-face tactics are more reminiscent of how a crazed lunatic fundamentalist would behave, like the Fred Phelps/Westboro Baptist bunch. It's really not surprising that she was murdered.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:19 PM

3,544 posts, read 6,291,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I think even atheists are/were appalled by her......she just doesn't represent atheism at all. In fact, her nastiness and in-your-face tactics are more reminiscent of how a crazed lunatic fundamentalist would behave, like the Fred Phelps/Westboro Baptist bunch. It's really not surprising that she was murdered.
It's possible to be a fundamentalist atheist.

And I am fundamentally, anti-fundamentalist.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:08 PM

1,578 posts, read 1,369,217 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqFwree7Kak

Christopher Hitchens Moral Challenge to the god fearing religious folks

Old 06-19-2012, 09:07 PM

267 posts, read 199,541 times
Wow a Faux news report, oh I get it, it's a joke. Very funny haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality