Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 03:51 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Given that clarification, I think each of us needs to decide on where our capacity for forgiveness ends.

If someone were to hit you, knocking you to the ground (literally or figuratively); would you pretend as though nothing happened? You might forgive that person, but that forgiveness would likely be dependent upon a sincere apology, and an assumption that they won’t repeat the behavior. Those, of course, are conditions. If that person apologizes, but hits you again the next day, have your conditions for accepting another apology changed? Perhaps your allowing yourself to be hit, is one of their conditions for you.

My point is that, even when we perceive our love towards another to be unconditional, it really isn’t. With that said, I don’t think someone’s negative behavior needs to, or necessarily should, lead to them becoming your enemy...it may simply be someone you would want to avoid in the future. However, their behavior will always change the conditions of the relationship for both parties.
Are you suggesting that you can't love someone who does not apologize, or refuses to change behavior?

I agree with you, that if someone had a habit of hitting me every time I saw them, I too would avoid them.

I might even whack them silly.

But then, I guess I'd owe them an apology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 04:31 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Are you suggesting that you can't love someone who does not apologize, or refuses to change behavior?
No, I'm suggesting that all love contains conditions which manifest themselves in various ways: your expectations of that individual's future behavior, your expectations of reciprocal feelings or actions on their part, your expectation that they will be accepting of the love you offer them. Those are all conditions.

If love could exist without conditions, then loving another human being would be no different than loving an inanimate object. Part of the love we feel is related to the other person's reaction to that love. Our anticipation of that reaction, necessarily creates a set of conditions.

We can have varying levels of tolerance for another's behavior, but the very recognition that they have refused to apologize, or to modify their behavior, in itself constitutes the existence of conditions.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:01 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
Quote:
No, I'm suggesting that all love contains conditions which manifest themselves in various ways: your expectations of that individual's future behavior, your expectations of reciprocal feelings or actions on their part, your expectation that they will be accepting of the love you offer them. Those are all conditions.

If love could exist without conditions, then loving another human being would be no different than loving an inanimate object. Part of the love we feel is related to the other person's reaction to that love. Our anticipation of that reaction, necessarily creates a set of conditions.

We can have varying levels of tolerance for another's behavior, but the very recognition that they have refused to apologize, or to modify their behavior, in itself constitutes the existence of conditions.
I understand conditions. I'm guilty of them myself.
In my experience, the conditions I set,
say more about my own limitations.

Real Love, should not be about my expectations, or about my hurt feelings.

But the fact that I'm aware of my limitation to offer unconditional Love, validates my awareness of it's existence.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:10 PM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
The Perfect love of living God through Lord Jesus is called agape love which is a selfless compassionate charity, merciful, gracious, goodness, kindness, gentleness love , but the Lord Jesus come as Just , but not condemning , but quick to forgive ,and the author of life and will bless with more life........... So unconditional love is a liberal type of love which may reject sentimental love with comes with conditions , or reject a erotic love which comes with conditions....for example : the flame goes out , then so is the love, which has conditions.....

Old 06-20-2012, 06:11 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,179,198 times
Parents often say they love their children unconditionally. However, I wonder if they would stop loving their children if they hurt them badly enough? Maybe the instinct to protect "number one" would come into place after all.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:38 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,325,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Parents often say they love their children unconditionally. However, I wonder if they would stop loving their children if they hurt them badly enough? Maybe the instinct to protect "number one" would come into place after all.
Many parents actually do stop loving their children for things that aren't harmful or bad at all. Some disown and never speak to their children for being gay, or being atheist. The only thing these people did wrong was to be who they really are knowing that it could cost them family, friends, and even their jobs. It has happened and is happening to me right now.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:24 AM

120 posts, read 211,718 times
Yes unconditional love exists but you only get it from your parents and NOT from other people.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:38 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,592,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
Unconditional Love...is a condition....so be careful..when some one asks for that kinda love....they are setting a condition by removing conditions....so in truth unconditional love is a condition...if you see my point?..and hence unconditional love does not exist.
No...that's just a play on words. Unconditional love means you will love someone no matter what their "condition" or state is. It's not an argument whether you are exhibiting a condition. They are not the same actions. If I have conditions on how I love someone they have to meet certain expectations in order to receive my love. If I don't have conditions then there are no expectations for my love. It's like free love.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Yes unconditional love exists but you only get it from your parents and NOT from other people.
And how do you know that? You would have to be all knowing and know every person in order to make that a truth.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:

I disagree. I think it's possible to love without a reward or return. It's hard to imagine how since as humans we seem to be selfish and needy.

Unconditional love is simple. You love someone for who they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality