Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 12:22 PM

707 posts, read 686,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why?
No one knows, but many of us don't make up stories of sky daddies to placate our emotional responses.
What does it matter, anyway?

Isn't it how we live our lives while we're alive?
You are corrct that no one knows. So before a person says that it's an illusion or a "sky daddy" they should realize that He could exist. But you are here making your comments so you are also subject to rebuttal. Why aren't you just living your life? What draws you here?

Old 06-28-2012, 12:26 PM

707 posts, read 686,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You want a fast answer? It's not so much Christianity as the Christians who run around pushing their beliefs in everyone else's face. (I, for instance, happen to be other than Christian. And for some peculiar reason, I have problems with the notion that I have to spend eternity in Hell just because I don't accept Jesus as my Savior. I also find the tag "non-believer" to be, at the very least, exceptionally condescending).
Why do you take those things so serious anyway. Believe what you want. Live and let live. You make it sound like they put a gun to your head.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:06 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default The Proof, right in front of you!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
Wikipedia is not the most reliable source out there. People can write, edit and re-edit what others originally wrote. Find another source.
Another source? As in: looking down at the refs at the bottom of any Wiki article, my man? Likka dat dhere?

Quite interesting that Christian posters often like to try to use Wiki articles to "prove" some anti-science thing, as where some pseudo- or ancient-old out-of-his-are-of-expertise "scholar" dumps on some well-established science derived fact with one lone suspect article. But now, when it outs a Christian idea, why... Wiki is ALL BAD, ALL THE TIME!

It's the references at the bottom of the article, silly ones . Argue with them! Yes, within a Wiki article, on occasion someone might be over-reaching on their conclusions to those papers, but the papers themselves? Most or all from accredited peer-reviewed published journals?

Get real, n'KaY?

Old 06-28-2012, 01:19 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Why do you take those things so serious anyway. Believe what you want. Live and let live. You make it sound like they put a gun to your head.

"They" would very much like to put that gun to our heads, in fact!. For an example, please see: "The Spanish Inquisiiton" as a glowing example of Christian tolerance, open-mindedness, dedication, self-righteous indignation and holier-than-thou-ism. All documented. btw..

"Repent or it's a flogging for you in the public square!"

Oh, you'd like something a little more up-to-date?

Well OK then... try the onerous and ongoing insistence that we teach a totally non-science topic in a science class. Why do they fight the establishment of a simple Comparative Religions Class right down the hall? Because it would, natch, and by definition, include a comparison (as the name implies...) of all other religions? Why, of course, silly! And can we have that as well as the damned SM in our publically funded schools? Of course not!

As in: they absolutely don't want the deliverance of unassailable facts on other belief systems, uncontaminated by their own solitary religious pseudo-or non-science drivel, when facts are being delivered like a machine gun in the biology/Evolution class, with all it's ongoing and ever-improving facts and supporting studies. Oh the fear! Q: what's that odor in there?

After all, these kids don't have to accept any of it, now do they. They do have their own minds, right? You are teaching them at home to think critically about everything, right? Not just a mind solely controlled, all the time, by the overbearing Christian paradigm, right?

"Out with the whips and chains, men! We have naive and innocent (and unthinking!) citizens to protect! Let's make a real spectacle of these damned free thinkers!

Old 06-28-2012, 01:30 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Quote:
I am curious as to why people post in a religion forum when they are not religious in nature. Over the years I have frequented forums and noticed a trend of non-religious people attracted to responding to religious threads. While I understand there are many religions, the one I see people spending so much time attempting to debunk is Christianity. What is the draw?
The draw is very simple. Christianity, like other religions is based on a bunch of myths written a couple thousand years ago, when people were not yet aware of the Enlightenment, or the Scientific Revolution. A time, when people didn't always understand that everything happens for a reason. When Galileo set out to prove that the earth was round, rather than flat, the church denounced it, had him apprehended and tortured. The church knew that science was their enemy. Since then, Christians, have had very little belief, in the whole idea of "live, and let live." They continue to provoke their beliefs onto everyone, and have a rather lopsided view on what constitutes sin, vs. mortal sin, or evolved into realizing that what may have been sin at one time, is no longer a sin. For example, wearing blended fabrics, or planting mixed crops. We see this particularly whenever the issue of same sex marriage comes up, or for that matter equal civil rights for those, through no fault of their own happen to be homosexual. Homosexuality is not even one of the seven deadly sins, yet these so-called religious people feel that "judging" others others (a sin within their religion) is OK, yet homosexuals are treated as if they are commiting the worst sin of all, and for some reason many people who are not even religious, all of a sudden, out of the clear blue, become very religious, at the mere mention of any type of equality for homosexual people. Jimmy Carter once mentioned, that if you are heterosexual, homosexuality is the easiest so-called sin to not commit. A lot of these homophobes use religion to rationalize, and justify their hate or indifference for homosexual people, in spite of judging others, fornicating, commiting adultery, making babies out of wed-lock (which means that baby is automatically condemned to hell, by the way according to the bible). The church, consistently crosses the separation of church and state barrier, that angers a lot of people.

As long as religious people, in this case Christians provoke their religion, and their judgement onto other people, they will always have their detractors, many of which see there archaic religion as nothing more than an outgrowth of man's neuroses.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Please show me proof.

I have no belief in any god thingies yet I know the emotion of love (and I'm quite well acquainted with the physical version, as well).

What are you trying to say?

No matter how much proof you are shown, you will never believe. Faith does not need or require proof.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:52 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,325,365 times
Quote:
No matter how much proof you are shown, you will never believe. Faith does not need or require proof.
Have you ever asked yourself why that is?

What is scarier, the unknown or the known?

Old 06-28-2012, 10:15 PM

272 posts, read 229,070 times
When I read discussions like these, I am often reminded of one quote:

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” - Mahatma Gandhi

People doubt religion because of the actions of its practitioners. The negative/degrading/judgmental passages get more attention from Christians, than the positive/uplifting/encouraging messages.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:43 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
It's good thing for you that it doesn't need proof, because there is none...

Old 06-29-2012, 07:30 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
It's good thing for you that it doesn't need proof, because there is none...
We put our faith in things everyday unknowingly. We have faith that when we go to sleep we will wake up in the morning. We have faith that when we get behind the wheel we will arrive safely wherever we are going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality