Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:01 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

Last night at about 9:30 we were putting the littler ones to bed when someone knocked at our front door.

IMO, people only knock at your door at that hour when it's an emergency. So I went down to see who it was. It was evangelists! At 9:30 at night! Oooooh, that's something that really ticks me off. And it's kind of creepy, too... at that hour of the night they might have been up to no good and using the evangelist bit as a cover.

They were two young girls dressed in very conservative outfits. They had badges identifying themselves as members of a Christian group (but not a group I recognized off hand. I wish I had written down the name--if they come back again I will). They held Bibles and seemed a little nervous.

I asked them what they wanted and they couldn't get to the point so I cut to the chase and asked if it was an emergency. The answer was "your soul is an emergency" so I said "no thanks" and shut the door. My husband said he thought he'd seen a van dropping these girls of down the street, so I guess they annoyed the whole neighborhood.

I've never, EVER had something like that happen before. We had to deal with Jehovah's Witnesses before when we lived in California, but they were at least polite enough to harrass you during the day.

Any thoughts? Is this happening to other people? If this is likely to happen again I want to nip it in the bud. Maybe I'm over-reacting, but IMO it is WRONG to knock on someone's door late at night. Plus I don't want to encourage strangers to knock on my door, anyway. Is this something to notify the police about? Or maybe notify the HOA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 08:06 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
IMO that is way to late for someone to knock on your door. I agree unless it is a planned visit, anything that late better be an emergency. I am just hyper enough I would probably notify the police, if nothing else what kind of people drop young girls off to ring the doorbells in a neighborhood they don't belong in that late. Of course I trust noone so I could be considered over-protective when it comes to issues like this.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
if nothing else what kind of people drop young girls off to ring the doorbells in a neighborhood they don't belong in that late.
That's what I was thinking, too. My neighborhood is a safe place, but even so... young girls walking around a neighborhood they don't know after dark? Very wrong.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:21 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times
You should call the non-emergency number for the Sheriff's office-703-777-1021 and ask about this. I believe that door to door solicitors in Loudoun County need a permit and I believe that times of solicitation are restricted. No matter how nice the neighborhood there are weirdo's everywhere, they should not have been doing this without a supervisor nearby to ensure their safety.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
You should call the non-emergency number for the Sheriff's office-703-777-1021 and ask about this. I believe that door to door solicitors in Loudoun County need a permit and I believe that times of solicitation are restricted. No matter how nice the neighborhood there are weirdo's everywhere, they should not have been doing this without a supervisor nearby to ensure their safety.
Thanks Margery! I just stopped in at the HOA office and they told me the same thing.

The weirdest part is I live on a pipestem. These girls had to walk down a long dark driveway to reach the two houses at the end. Doesn't that sounds like the opening scene of a bad late night movie? Ugh, some people just don't think.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:52 AM

564 posts, read 1,493,241 times
Agree with the sentiment that if they are underage, who the hell is sending them to knock on doors at night in a strange neighborhood? The emergency of your soul line didn't work on you eh? I had a guy tell me once that the party I was expecting to attend in hell had been cancelled -- due to a fire!

My wife attended a church service when we first moved here as she likes to go every now and then. She must have filled out the information card because some lady shows up a couple weeks later around 9pm wanting to talk about their ministry. I thought that was pretty weird. I'm not against religion or evangelism, but I don't see how they think they are going to get anyone to convert by showing up on people's front steps unnanounced at odd hours. Just makes people think you are weird.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:05 AM

Update: I just got a neighborhood e-mail, telling everyone that the police had been notified and the situation was dealt with. The girls weren't criminals, apparently they were just dummies who didn't think about the fact that they were out late at night.

Wow, that was fast! I'll ell you what--I'm a huge fan of having a neighborhood e-mail chain.

We don't use ours that often, mostly just to coordinate group rentals for the lawn aerator and things like that, but when situations arise it's such a good thing to have.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:07 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Last night at about 9:30 we were putting the littler ones to bed when someone knocked at our front door.

IMO, people only knock at your door at that hour when it's an emergency. So I went down to see who it was. It was evangelists! At 9:30 at night! Oooooh, that's something that really ticks me off. And it's kind of creepy, too... at that hour of the night they might have been up to no good and using the evangelist bit as a cover.

They were two young girls dressed in very conservative outfits. They had badges identifying themselves as members of a Christian group (but not a group I recognized off hand. I wish I had written down the name--if they come back again I will). They held Bibles and seemed a little nervous.

I asked them what they wanted and they couldn't get to the point so I cut to the chase and asked if it was an emergency. The answer was "your soul is an emergency" so I said "no thanks" and shut the door. My husband said he thought he'd seen a van dropping these girls of down the street, so I guess they annoyed the whole neighborhood.

I've never, EVER had something like that happen before. We had to deal with Jehovah's Witnesses before when we lived in California, but they were at least polite enough to harrass you during the day.

Any thoughts? Is this happening to other people? If this is likely to happen again I want to nip it in the bud. Maybe I'm over-reacting, but IMO it is WRONG to knock on someone's door late at night. Plus I don't want to encourage strangers to knock on my door, anyway. Is this something to notify the police about? Or maybe notify the HOA?
I think you had two Latter-day saints at your door, I know by the badges. I agree that it better be good if you are going to ring my door at 9pm. Also, if you own a gun I'd caution you to get it next time ANYONE you dont know shows up at the door that late because anytime that happens it's probably trouble. Also, put up a no solicitors sign and add in "no evangelism either!"

I'm with you on this one. If you knock on my door after hours it better be good.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:26 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
I would report it to the police or sheriff, for the girls' safety as well as the neighborhoods'. Whoever is taking them out on this mission is either clueless and misguided or exploiting them. A legitimate religious group wouldn't endanger it's members this way.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:27 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Normie, sorry, I guess your last post hadn't loaded when I posted. Glad to know that it's taken care of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality