Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:37 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

The message in that video (which I enjoyed) was almost exactly that of the nuns at a vernal equinox ritual and celebration I went to at the Stella Maris Retreat House in Long Branch, NJ, this past spring. The nuns not only run Stella Maris, they have an NGO at the UN called Waterspirit which advocates for the earth and environmental causes.

Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by june 7th; 07-04-2012 at 12:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:11 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Spheres have no corners:
Quote:
Rev 7:1 After these things, I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that they should not blow upon the earth, nor upon the sea, nor on any tree.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:21 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Not all the writers of the historical accounts called the Bible were goat herders.

Also, I think you are continuing an urban legend which is discredited that the writers of the Bible believed the earth was flat:
True, there were also candle stick makers, weavers, carpenters, potters, fishermen, and farmers. Nor did I in anyway infer that the bible said the earth was flat, (you wouldn't be inferring that I did to strengthen your argument would you?) and most of the old testament was written before Pythagoras first surmised that the earth was not flat around 550 - 500 BC.

And there still exists a group that says the bible does say the earth is flat. http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/febible.htm

Old 07-03-2012, 10:27 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
How about the entire book of Genesis, for starters.
Ok not an answer but a dodge. Can you be more specific?

Old 07-03-2012, 10:29 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
No one. Why does it need to be created?
Well things do have to have a beginning.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:40 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Ok not an answer but a dodge. Can you be more specific?
How is it a dodge? The entire book of genesis is pure horse buns....Pick any verse that you think has any bearing on reality, and get back to me.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:08 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Posted 5 days ago, and still no comments from the religious???
Maybe cuz the video is lame and shallow?

Old 07-04-2012, 01:39 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Maybe cuz the video is lame and shallow?
If you think it's lame and shallow you either didn't watch it or you are lost to reality.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:37 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Default Do Modern Writers Believe the Earth is Square and has Corners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Spheres have no corners:
Spheres have no corners:
Quote:
Quote:
Rev 7:1 After these things, I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that they should not blow upon the earth, nor upon the sea, nor on any tree.
Even today we talk about the four corners of the earth. We say they came from the four corners of the earth to the olympics.

Even the Girl Scouts use that expression here:

Flags Go there and search "corners" and you'll see this:

"From the Four Corners of the earth they came, (either four girls with lighted candles or flashlights). They carried a torch in Freedom's name."

Those sports commentators and the Girl Scouts do not believe the earth is square. It is just a figure of speech.

If you go here: Easter celebrations across Sydney you will see the Sidney Morning Herald attest to the fact that people came from the four corners of the earth. They don't really believe the earth has corners or is square.

Here at Google: The Miami News - Google News Archive Search From the Miami News, they wrote that people came from the four corners of the earth to see the Dempsey--Capentier fight. Then they explained what "four corners meant by saying "An oil magnate from China, a prince from India, a Count from Belgium, an Earl from England and real red blooded Americans from right here in Miami, from every country and every state . . . ."

Surely they didn't believe the earth was square or had corners. I could probably quote thousands of modern writings using "four corners of the earth" but you get the idea. Today we don't believe the earth was square and has corners and those ancients didn't either. It was just a figure of speech.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:50 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
I watched the movie. I really always liked Neil. I don't necessarily agree with him though that our solar system is the result of an exploding star. It is possible. But you'd have to prove that all the billions of solar systems in the billions of galaxies out there are the result of exploding stars. Maybe they are, but proof is quite another thing. I always believe that after the big bang, when the universe cooled the atoms coalesced into stars and planets and moons. Did all the stars that are visible now, multiplied billions x billions of them all the result of exploding stars? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality