Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2012, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Serbia
4 posts, read 4,010 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello everyone, this is my first subject as well as first post, I didn't know with what to start my journey here, so I decided to give this a try, it sounds like a promising introduction.


I don't ask about God existence , and I'm not trying to approve or disprove any religion, I just don't want to mention them here. What I want to ask you about, is how do you understand GOD?

Some people see him trough different religions, some people don't believe there is one, while some just don't want to bother themselves with God existence.

At some point of my life, I thought we're all Gods, I am mine God, you are yours, but that was very childish and egoistic way of thinking, later on I understand God as a force, that lies withing us. One force that connect us all, in some peculiar way.

But now, I can't understand although I want, there must be some higher force, some meaning of all this. Whenever I discuss with myself about these things, I always hit the same wall..

I honestly believe that finding that 'force' let's call it God, can help us in many ways. Increase our creativity, enlightening us, giving us a profound silence..

So, how do you imagine God? Have you ever felt any connection with 'her'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2012, 10:50 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,606 posts, read 55,762,350 times
Reputation: 11862
Like I've said, in a way there's another 'trinity' or three 'Gods' or rather mediums through which we experience God.

As a character in a Holy Book.

As a projection of our own ideas

From a lifetime of exposure to clergymen, theologians, religious leaders, philosophers, authors.etc talk about God


How one personally experiences God is such an individual thing. This also affects how strong their faith is - the object of their faith.

For me, in some ways God is too large to really have a 'shape', but I suppose you need a shape in order to be able to see him as an 'object' with a reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Golden, CO
2,108 posts, read 2,881,253 times
Reputation: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDeew View Post
Hello everyone, this is my first subject as well as first post, I didn't know with what to start my journey here, so I decided to give this a try, it sounds like a promising introduction.


I don't ask about God existence , and I'm not trying to approve or disprove any religion, I just don't want to mention them here. What I want to ask you about, is how do you understand GOD?

Some people see him trough different religions, some people don't believe there is one, while some just don't want to bother themselves with God existence.

At some point of my life, I thought we're all Gods, I am mine God, you are yours, but that was very childish and egoistic way of thinking, later on I understand God as a force, that lies withing us. One force that connect us all, in some peculiar way.

But now, I can't understand although I want,
Welcome to the board! I am an atheist and so don't believe any gods exist (it doesn't matter to me how "god" is defined, I don't believe they exist). I acknowledge the possibility that there might be a god of some sort, but I really don't think there is. However, I respect your right to believe whatever you believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDeew View Post
there must be some higher force, some meaning of all this.
But, I disagree with you here. Why must there be some higher force? I don't think there must be. Maybe there is and maybe there isn't, but I see no reason to conclude that there simply must be.

The same goes for meaning. Why must there be some meaning to all of this? I don't think there does have to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 01:34 PM
 
707 posts, read 683,533 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Welcome to the board! I am an atheist and so don't believe any gods exist (it doesn't matter to me how "god" is defined, I don't believe they exist). However, I respect your right to believe whatever you believe.


But, I disagree with you here. Why must there be some higher force? I don't think there must be. Maybe there is and maybe there isn't but I see no reason to conclude that there simply must be.

The same goes for meaning. Why must there be some meaning to all of this? I don't think there does have to be.
I read something the other day about a philosopher who was making a speach and his end statement was, "Why does anything exist?" I found this to be very profound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Golden, CO
2,108 posts, read 2,881,253 times
Reputation: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDeew View Post
I honestly believe that finding that 'force' let's call it God, can help us in many ways. Increase our creativity, enlightening us, giving us a profound silence..
Oh, I did want to respond to this though. I study things like transcendence, awe, peace, connectedness, elevation, epiphanies, etc, from the perspective of a scientist. In fact, there is a branch of psychology dedicated to studying just these things called Positive Psychology. Also, there are naturalists (people who don't believe in the existence of the supernatural) who also take interest in these things. They call themselves spiritual naturalists.

Your sentence reminded me of Flow. The following is from the wiki entry on Flow:

Quote:
Flow is the mental state of operation in which a person in an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and success in the process of the activity. Proposed by Mihály Csíkszentmihályi, the positive psychology concept has been widely referenced across a variety of fields.

According to Csikszentmihalyi, flow is completely focused motivation. It is a single-minded immersion and represents perhaps the ultimate in harnessing the emotions in the service of performing and learning. In flow, the emotions are not just contained and channeled, but positive, energized, and aligned with the task at hand. To be caught in the ennui of depression or the agitation of anxiety is to be barred from flow. The hallmark of flow is a feeling of spontaneous joy, even rapture, while performing a task although flow is also described (below) as a deep focus on nothing but the activity – not even oneself or one's emotions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Golden, CO
2,108 posts, read 2,881,253 times
Reputation: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
I read something the other day about a philosopher who was making a speach and his end statement was, "Why does anything exist?" I found this to be very profound.
I don't think there has to be a reason "why". I think asking why presupposes a purpose and thus a purpose-giver. Purpose isn't inherent in a thing. A thing just exists, just is, until a mind comes up with a plan for it. If there is no mind, there is no purpose. The universe could be just a thing that exists. If no one planned it, purposed it, created it, or designed it, then it has no purpose or reason for being. It just is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 01:52 PM
 
707 posts, read 683,533 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I don't think there has to be a reason "why". I think asking why presupposes a purpose and thus a purpose-giver. Purpose isn't inherent in a thing. A thing just exists, just is, until a mind comes up with a plan for it. If there is no mind, there is no purpose. The universe could be just a thing that exists. If no one planned it, purposed it, created it, or designed it, then it has no purpose or reason for being. It just is.
Kind of leaves a big hole don't ya think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 01:55 PM
 
Location: On the Edge of the Fringe
7,569 posts, read 6,017,004 times
Reputation: 6980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Oh, I did want to respond to this though. I study things like transcendence, awe, peace, connectedness, elevation, epiphanies, etc, from the perspective of a scientist. In fact, there is a branch of psychology dedicated to studying just these things called Positive Psychology. Also, there are naturalists (people who don't believe in the existence of the supernatural) who also take interest in these things. They call themselves spiritual naturalists.

Your sentence reminded me of Flow. The following is from the wiki entry on Flow:
Excellent post
I too am a non-theist/atheist so I do not believe in the existance of any such entity/person/thing. But referencing and acknowledging the fact that many do, and the belief as such has been influential on out cultural mythos, I personally like to think of a being that exists within the minds of those who seek to create it, and must be left for the definition and inspiration of one's own personal reality. Which makes psychology, mythology, anthropology the most fascinating fields of study.
Is it measurable ? no Is it visible? no Isi t real? not from my perspective. But the belief many people have in it is real.

I am though a humanist, a spirtual naturalist of sorts, and my personal philosophy does not predicate a requirement for a creator. Nor has it ever hinted at the existance of one. I have so no evidence that "god" exists. Which is why Buddhism, outside of atheism, remains to me the most viable philosophies. And Atheism is an acceptable view to Buddhists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
3,331 posts, read 5,934,429 times
Reputation: 2082
I am an agnostic. I have no idea what "god" is or even if it is. I have said many times that if there is one, it is most likely nothing like any of our major religions think or expect. If there is one, it has to be so beyond our understanding that it is pointless to try to understand it. This is one of the problems I've always had with many of the major religions. They have a tendency to provide lip service to the enormity of "god", but are quite ready to tell you all about it because all the answers are in their book. They will tell you how they "know". No they don't. How can one put something like that into a box, a neat little package that is easily digestable to all the followers? This makes no sense to my native mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Golden, CO
2,108 posts, read 2,881,253 times
Reputation: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
reminds one of the flow of libido and the blocking of the flow of libido creating a neurosis
Other than the word "flow" is common to them both, I don't see much similarity.

Granpa,

If I may make an observation. You seem to be one who loves to look for parallels in things. That is good. It is a sign of intelligence and creativity to find patterns among wide ranging fields and concepts. I do that, too. However, I found that for many years I operated under the false assumption that if I saw a pattern, then I had stumbled upon some profound truth. I would think that some unknown process must operate in a similar way to something else simply because they shared some similarities. I sometimes carried analogies too far trying to force them onto things where they did not fit. I felt that somethings should be a certain way because it would make a much more pleasing parallel if it were.

I doubt that you will identify with that because one doesn't look at their own behavior that way while they are doing it, but I believe you have gone a little overboard in your enthusiasm for parallels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:40 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top