Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 12:02 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,608 times

Advertisements

I know Shows like Stargate SG1 is over and done with, but I am just wondering if anyone thinks that shows like it effect how people view religion?

For those that don't know what it's about:

Stargate SG-1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically it's a show about an secret military operation, it follows a Team called SG1. SG1 travels through wormholes to planets connected to what is called the Stargate. On their journey they meet up with many various cultures that believe and are ruled by so called gods. These gods are an alien race that take hosts and enslave worlds to do their bidding.

Over the course of the show they point out why we can't believe in such gods, seen or unseen.

what do you think? Does Stargate and shows like it effect how some people see religion or belief in gods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 03:48 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
I know Shows like Stargate SG1 is over and done with, but I am just wondering if anyone thinks that shows like it effect how people view religion?

For those that don't know what it's about:

Stargate SG-1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically it's a show about an secret military operation, it follows a Team called SG1. SG1 travels through wormholes to planets connected to what is called the Stargate. On their journey they meet up with many various cultures that believe and are ruled by so called gods. These gods are an alien race that take hosts and enslave worlds to do their bidding.

Over the course of the show they point out why we can't believe in such gods, seen or unseen.

what do you think? Does Stargate and shows like it effect how some people see religion or belief in gods?
Ah, I started watching this show when I was a little kid. Did it effect my belief in god... not sure.. I never really thought about it, until I started reading hitchen and sam harris books... What really had a huge effect on my beliefs in gods, was science. I just started justifying it, "oh the bible is wrong here there etc". Eventually got to the point where I accepted science and rejected the bible, and became a deist. Which slowly proceeded to atheism...

Though stargate universe had a godly theme. I found stargate sg-1 to be much more realistic, exciting, enchanting and touching then the bible.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:51 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times
Lol shows like Stargate are the reason religion wishes it could ban it from your viewing like in the old days when they burned books that offered alternate or opposing views to theirs. They don't want you thinking for yourself which is why they brainwash you at an early age.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:30 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,617 times
It might open them up to exploring what other people believe. I don't watch the show, but I saw the movie. Or a movie with a similar name?

Many movies and books that are fiction also mention things that some people believe. Some of us find it interesting to learn about the different beliefs even if we don't agree with them.

Yes, there are religious people who would ban everything that has ideas that don't fall in line with their own beliefs. But there are also those who appreciate that there is a ton of beliefs out there and a ton of history which brought about those beliefs.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:52 AM

I'll be honest, I love history, science and theology so this Ithink it helped to open my eyes to not only other religions, but to the possibility to no religion. I am sure that I am not the only one who will say this, but my favorite Character would have to be Dr. Daniel Jackson who plays the archetype of archeologist.

The moment I first saw the show I was hooked and it only brought out my inner history and science lover even more. Normally I would only have anything to do with these subjects in school. Now, I am researching various things relating to History, Science, and Theology for fun in my free time.

I think it does have a slight atheism undertone and if Christians could've banned it, they would have. Who knows, maybe that is why it ended.

There should be more shows and books like these. I think they open doors for the mind to wander out of what it might be comfortable with or just simply conditioned with.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:14 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times
You know, stuff like that never made me question my faith. I was a very conservative Christian, who avidly read sci-fi and fantasy. Asimov, Heinlen, Clarke, Herbert, Lackey, none of them put a dent in my faith. I think there are quite a lot of people who can hold a religious belief and read or watch things from a different perspective and not have their belief harmed.

I also wanted to say that a great number of Christians do not have a problem with sci-fi and fantasy, and certainly are not trying to ban it. It is a bit unfair to aim that criticism at all of Christendom. There are people who would try to restrict it, but they are fringe groups, particularly now. That mentality was much more prevalent in the '80s, and I don't want to diminish the magnitude of that brand of crazy, but it isn't the norm.

-NoCapo

Old 06-29-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
You know, stuff like that never made me question my faith. I was a very conservative Christian, who avidly read sci-fi and fantasy. Asimov, Heinlen, Clarke, Herbert, Lackey, none of them put a dent in my faith. I think there are quite a lot of people who can hold a religious belief and read or watch things from a different perspective and not have their belief harmed.

I also wanted to say that a great number of Christians do not have a problem with sci-fi and fantasy, and certainly are not trying to ban it. It is a bit unfair to aim that criticism at all of Christendom. There are people who would try to restrict it, but they are fringe groups, particularly now. That mentality was much more prevalent in the '80s, and I don't want to diminish the magnitude of that brand of crazy, but it isn't the norm.

-NoCapo
I think you are mostly right. However, I do think that more christians would like to ban such shows because it could lead to someone questioning their faith. It's the remove all temptations argument. I know that when I was mormon, they didn't like that I watched the show. My now Ex-wife thought it was bad as did her parents. They thought it was so bad that they "tattled" to the bishop that I watched this anti-religious show. They even tattled on me that I read certain history/science books and other religious texts.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:43 AM

Raison, I kind of agree with you, but what I have come to learn is that outside of highly religious insular communities (the deep south in my experience, Mormonism in yours) this stuff is much less of a problem. I grew up with the fallout from "Turmoil in the Toybox"-type teachings that smurfs, care bears, my little pony, gi Joe, He-man, D&D and rock and roll were all of the devil. As I moved around the states I realized that a lot of Christians outside of the very restrictive and conservative denominations are not like this. I was surprised and a little relieved to see that there are a lot of relatively "normal" believers out there.

As a side note I found it fascinating that Tracy Hickman, a fantasy author who is a member of the LDS, used D&D as a methond of moral instruction for kids in his church. As a way of roleplaying and illustrating moral choices and dilemmas, it made perfect sense. I am just amazed that his church didn't call for his head! If I had tried it in my Southern Baptist church, I would have been asked to leave...

NoCApo

Old 06-29-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Raison, I kind of agree with you, but what I have come to learn is that outside of highly religious insular communities (the deep south in my experience, Mormonism in yours) this stuff is much less of a problem. I grew up with the fallout from "Turmoil in the Toybox"-type teachings that smurfs, care bears, my little pony, gi Joe, He-man, D&D and rock and roll were all of the devil. As I moved around the states I realized that a lot of Christians outside of the very restrictive and conservative denominations are not like this. I was surprised and a little relieved to see that there are a lot of relatively "normal" believers out there.

As a side note I found it fascinating that Tracy Hickman, a fantasy author who is a member of the LDS, used D&D as a methond of moral instruction for kids in his church. As a way of roleplaying and illustrating moral choices and dilemmas, it made perfect sense. I am just amazed that his church didn't call for his head! If I had tried it in my Southern Baptist church, I would have been asked to leave...

NoCApo
I agree that there aren't an overwhelming number of people that want to censor everything.

When I was a teacher in the LDS church, I tried using science and history to teach about things and I was told that I need to stick to the LDS bible and Book of Mormon. I doubt all LDS communities are like this, but most of the ones I have encounters are.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
I agree that there aren't an overwhelming number of people that want to censor everything.

When I was a teacher in the LDS church, I tried using science and history to teach about things and I was told that I need to stick to the LDS bible and Book of Mormon. I doubt all LDS communities are like this, but most of the ones I have encounters are.
My funniest ( and slightly scariest) story was that when I was a kid, my dad taught a Sunday School class. I think they were working through Romans. The deacons cornered him one day about not using the Sothern Baptist Sunday School board material, and studying the Bible directly. "After all even the Methodists have the Bible, but they don't have the Sunday School Board books..." I don't think they let him teach any more classes...

-NoCapo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality