Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:23 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times

Advertisements

From an outsiders view it seems odd to see the mix of religion and military. Does this seem odd to any of you? Every year during the holidays they show the story of Jesus, stating not to fight but to trust in God to do what is right, so why do people who are religious support or join the military? I'm not religious so I have no preference in who answers this question. I just got curious after seeing people in church praying for the people fighting the war, not the ones getting killed in it. Seems to sort of contradict belief in Jesus to an outsider. Confused? I know there are some religions that will not participate in the military, that I can understand a bit better. Anyone have some answers for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 10:41 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
I'm not religious but I don't necessarily see a conflict if for example our nation is attacked I think we have every right to defend ourselves and protect our citizens. When terrorists killed about 3,000 innocent people on the 9/11 attacks we had no choice but to engage in a war in Afghanistan where Bin Ladin had his base of support and where he and others had conspired to carry out the attack. In fact the military tends to be very conservative and soldiers are often very religious. I really don't see any conflict between religion and self defense at all.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:55 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
this question is loaded.

i would answer no, since a commandment by jesus exists to love our enemies.

history shows where mankind's understanding has gone since ....

thankfully, many atheists have been known to be staunch pacifists.

the right to self defence is debatable and i41 would accord it to anyone the same as one's right to voice free opinion.

btw. the said attack did not come out of the blue.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:57 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
this question is loaded.

i would answer no, since a commandment by jesus exists to love our enemies.

history shows where mankind's understanding has gone since ....

thankfully, many atheists have been known to be staunch pacifists.

the right to self defence is debatable and i41 would accord it to anyone the same as one's right to voice free opinion.

btw. the said attack did not come out of the blue.
Hands Effie the best liquor in the world to intoxicate her

Old 05-14-2009, 11:09 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
From an outsiders view it seems odd to see the mix of religion and military. Does this seem odd to any of you? Every year during the holidays they show the story of Jesus, stating not to fight but to trust in God to do what is right, so why do people who are religious support or join the military? I'm not religious so I have no preference in who answers this question. I just got curious after seeing people in church praying for the people fighting the war, not the ones getting killed in it. Seems to sort of contradict belief in Jesus to an outsider. Confused? I know there are some religions that will not participate in the military, that I can understand a bit better. Anyone have some answers for me?
I think there is no conflict between religion and self-protection. Problem I have is when one starts to mix the two - for example, trying to force your beliefs on the locals, in which case you may have drunk too much of your own Koolaid and are ignoring the lessons of history.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:12 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
I see nothing wrong with supporting military members because you are supposed to love your neighbor and all that jazz but joining the military and being all gung ho about shooting infidels or whatever...no.

At the same time, the christian bible does mention an eye for an eye....

::shrug::

Old 05-14-2009, 11:27 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,525 times
I do truly appreciate the sacrifice that some make to go into the military to "protect" us. It is a selfless act. However...

I think after the 1st century Christians died, the prophesied apostacy set in and political influence changed the fabric. I think nationalism is one of the biggest machinations of Satan. He wants humans to buy into the governments. War is the most destructive aspect of our society (global, as well as civil).

I consider myself a Christian and I don't buy into nationalism. To do so alienates my brothers and sisters in other parts of the world. I am a model citizen...I follow the laws and pay my taxes.

Bette Midler's "From a Distance" song is so brilliant...our boundaries are so arbitrary. Matt 28:19 speaks of people of all nations. How could I go to war against my Christian brother or sister? Even if they are not Christian, I couldn't justify going over to their country and slaughtering people...the guily or the innocent. The fact that the US was attacked by a religious group just proves to me that that group is not working under the guidance of a loving God.

My opinion

Old 05-14-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I see nothing wrong with supporting military members because you are supposed to love your neighbor and all that jazz but joining the military and being all gung ho about shooting infidels or whatever...no.

At the same time, the christian bible does mention an eye for an eye....

::shrug::

minor correction, please: the old testament. part of the bible.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:53 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
minor correction, please: the old testament. part of the bible.
It's still the bible, no?

Leviticus 20 is also in the bible but many Christians try to use that verse to justify their hatred for gays...

Old 05-14-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
It's still the bible, no?

Leviticus 20 is also in the bible but many Christians try to use that verse to justify their hatred for gays...
unfortunately so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality