Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 08:07 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
That's not much comfort to Tim Treadwell. The great Werner Herzog did a documentary on Grizzly Man, who was indeed eaten, along with his girlfriend, by a grizzly bear.
Goodness, thats frightening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 04:51 PM

Eternal hell suffering is really an insult to Gods reputation, just as Atheism is; both are a complette distortion of what God really is. Neither Atheism or the doctrine of eternal hell suffering can explain God, neither represents him, but both offend his true generate.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:51 PM

The doctrine of eternal hell torture is a violent oxymoron, and the lack of doctrine from Atheist is an obvious oxymoron.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:27 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
The doctrine of eternal hell torture is a violent oxymoron, and the lack of doctrine from Atheist is an obvious oxymoron.
You poor soul, you still don't get it do you?

Atheism is not a doctrine or has not need for such. If an eternal hell is the antithesis of God, then he shouldn't have described his sending people to hell in his autobiography.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
You poor soul, you still don't get it do you?

Atheism is not a doctrine or has not need for such. If an eternal hell is the antithesis of God, then he shouldn't have described his sending people to hell in his autobiography.

You need to re-read his biography because he described no such thing! And I disagree, Atheism is a doctrine, and too many Atheist are denying that because they have chosen a wrong offensive.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:28 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default Oh my.....

Quote:

Atheist complain about the phrase " God didit", only to replace it with the phrase " Nature didit!" And seem to think one didit is better than the other didit.????
Not quite, Mickiel. We offer up some proofs of our beliefs. We hypothesize about things, let's say some idea that God insta-poofed it all into existence about 6500 yrs ago.

If so, certain predictable outcomes should then be available, right?

But oh no... when we logically examine those outcomes 6 ways from Sunday, and still DO NOT FIND ANY of them, then and only then do we tend to think, hypothetically, "Heck! Maybe this is not how it came to be! OK then: let's look further, with a few more logical step-wise processes, and see if any idea fits with the realities we can and do see all around us!"

By comparison, the devout and unbending Christian says "I don't care if it doesn't make sense, and if such and such a supernatural biblical occurrence COULD NOT POSSIBLY HAVE EVER HAPPENED!. I don't care! I'm agunna stick with my ideas no matter what other newer more rational evidence says."

A REALLY Big Diff in overall approach wouldn't you agree, Mickiel? One is logical and open to alternatives, the other is died-in-the-wool, carved in stone and unavaialble for any rational re-interpretation as we move inexoribly out of the Age of Bronze-Headed Thinking.

So which way is a myth and which way is likely pointing to the truth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Don't feel too badly about some posters on here. I've been dealing with some posters who were never trained to think logically. One of their ways of dealing with those who don't agree with them is to make accusations. The really puerile ones are those who accuse us of being trolls.

According to Urban Dictionary this is what a troll is. Notice how many who post against us fall under these definitions:

1. troll
One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

(etc etc. edited for brevity...)
Well how-dee-doo Mr. Troll! You've pegged yourself right on the ol' noggin! I must say; the level of trolling activites on these fora is often extreme, that I won't argue with you on. I can't believe that even the most bone-headed Christians here can actually say, with a straight face, some of the things they claim to believe. What is going on, obviously, is that they, not we, are having a big ol' belly laugh at how upset they think they have provoked us atheists into being.

Sorry: we get just as big a bang out of seeing your horrified minds when we logically corner you and you can't come up with a logical and defensible answer, and so you folks auto-resort to flaming insults.

Quote:
Quote:
Astute observations, I certainly agree with it; actually stunning in it's reality, a troll calling someone else a troll; actually a bit on thread topic; they fail to compare themselves with their accusations and attempt to give the other poster a crutch, hopeing to cause a crippling effect.
Well stated, Mickiel. I only hope the Christian Trollistás can see themselves here!

Quote:
Quote:

√ Atheism would destroy most of the worlds holidays and festivals and turn men into monuments and idols of worship. And pain and suffering would be accepted as a normal way of life and death.
Really? We atheists already own Halloween, Christmas and New Years' Eve. Oh, and 4th of July, and a few others, including some Wiccan holidays, when no harm is done, except a few quarts of good whiskey be drunk in the official celebrations!

Not all holidays began with God, the Church jealously having hijacked Christmas and a few others to obfuscate (confuse) the revelers. It was originally a full-on pagan holiday usually on the winter solstice, but My God! We can't have THAT, so let's "adjust" the calendar as to Jesus' actual b-day (which was NOT at Christmas btw...)

As for the world devolving onto horror and cruelty, by what measure can you say this? Atheists don't start wars, only dictators and other ego-maniacs who most often (most always, I'd say...) use God to officiate their ideals and plans. Christianity and Islam are almost single-handedly responsible for the vast majority of worldly cruelty and violent deaths. Fact.

Quote:
Quote:
Continued comparisons;

The denial of God existing is also a type of fear factor
Fear of... oh heck: I'll let CSG ask:

Quote:
Quote:
Fear of WHAT?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
Interesting that you didn't ask that of the athiest view.

I don't believe you can determine my evidence, only evidence for yourself.
Your so-called atheist viewpoint is simply one born entirely of logical answers, not of blindered faith inalterable by any new evidence. Even if your God stopped by next week in his UFO (He's simply an offplanet visitor, btw..) and told a group of assembled Christians down in Vatican City that He was just a big ol' faker God, that He is simply an advanced alien life form. "Nope!" You'd all bellow. "You're The Almighty Godliness! All bow down and PTL! Ignore what this piker UFO GOd is saying: we NEED our imaginary God-head"

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
I have the Bible and personal experience. You choose not to believe those, therefore, you have none.

What proof do you have that there is no afterlife? I then can tell you if I believe it or not.
The bible's been categorically proven wrong and contradictory far too many times. Too many revisionist versions, too many interpretations, and so on. None of them reliable.

So then, what's next? Oh yeah: "personal experience". I have the same, just as valid as your's. Except: I asked and prayed to God back then in my late teens and early 20s to show me a sign. Nope. No signs. Ever.

That's all you can state: that you BELIEVE it. OK, but you cannot actually show that it's a proven fact. You just prefer to believe the convenient tale. No-one has EVER come back from, or can tell us, they've gone to, such a place. It's just a peasant bit of fluff-promise to con you to continue tithing and granting spiritual obedience over your personal decision-making, to NOT ever think for yourself.

Your loss, not mine.

Or, as CSG so elegantly says....

Quote:
Quote:
If you genuinely cannot see what is wrong with your logic, I have no hope for you.
How true.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
You need to re-read his biography because he described no such thing! And I disagree, Atheism is a doctrine, and too many Atheist are denying that because they have chosen a wrong offensive.
Been there, done that.

Luke 12:5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after your body has been killed, has authority to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.

The only offensive we atheists use is to ask for concrete, objective evidence of a god and no one has yet been able to do so. Yet, we hear "There is a god because I read it", or "my preacher said so", or "I had a dream about it".

Old 11-15-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Been there, done that.

Luke 12:5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after your body has been killed, has authority to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.

The only offensive we atheists use is to ask for concrete, objective evidence of a god and no one has yet been able to do so. Yet, we hear "There is a god because I read it", or "my preacher said so", or "I had a dream about it".
This verse has absolutely nothing to do with the false doctrine of eternal hell punishing; nothing! Its talking about a physical pit use to burn refuse and dead bodies and the pit was located outside of Jerusalem; know your bible.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
This verse has absolutely nothing to do with the false doctrine of eternal hell punishing; nothing! Its talking about a physical pit use to burn refuse and dead bodies and the pit was located outside of Jerusalem; know your bible.
Good try, but why would you fear someone with the authority to throw your dead body in a refuse pit? How about the parable of the rich man/poor man? You can bend and distort as much as you want, but it doesn't change the facts. I'll put my Bible knowledge up against yours any time.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Good try, but why would you fear someone with the authority to throw your dead body in a refuse pit? How about the parable of the rich man/poor man? You can bend and distort as much as you want, but it doesn't change the facts. I'll put my Bible knowledge up against yours any time.

The verse is refering to those who have the authority to burn your body instead of letting them bury you. The " Hell" in this verse is refering to " Gehenna", a Greek word which describes a physical place outside of ancient Jerusalem called " The Valley of Hinnom." apostate Isralites and the followers of Ba'als and Cannanite gods, including " Moloch", sacrificed their children there by fire. The valley was later used to burn dead infected human bodies, in order to keep pestilence under control. Certain laterday Christians started using this place to represent their distorted view of " Hell."

And I will put this true story up against any of yours at any time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality