Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2022, 09:18 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,221,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
That is very true of Romantic Love. I really do feel that romantic love is even more destructive than hate. I don't expect many to agree with me - but considering it is one of the leading causes of violent crime *shrug* there you go. "Far more people are murdered over "love" than they are over hate."
source? data? statistics?

Old 05-27-2022, 10:02 PM

541 posts, read 394,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
I think about 95% of the world population believes in some form of a higher being. I myself believe in God.

My question for you is, how do you know your religion is the right religion? With so many religions out there, how do you know yours is right?

Also, have you ever doubted your religion?

No mean to cause any controversy. I just want to hear people's opinions about this subject.

I know my religion is the right religion because everything makes sense. Not that other religions don't, I just have a feeling in my heart that it is the right religion.
Deep down I don't believe there is a right or wrong religion. There are so many similar underlying truths in different religions that it seems to me that God revealed himself to different people in different ways. Concepts of forgiveness, caring for one's fellow man, compassion and caring about other people to me are universal truths.

For me it was only after taking a theology class about the History of Religions that each seemed as far fetched as the others that I could in good faith embrace my own religion and church.

In any church (group of people) there are going to be many different opinions. I've found an adult education group at my church of other questioning people who don't want to throw this religious / spiritual stuff out. We want to grow spiritually; we want to be less broken; we want to be connected to God (the universe) and our fellow man; we want to be more caring people, but we also have questions and doubts.

I like this quote on the Marcus Borg website. He's deceased now, but his teachings and writings really connected with me and many others in my class too, "Experience of God, not belief in God, is the invitation of Christianity." This is so true for me. I experience God thru nature and the incredible love and caring I've seen extended to others and me from other people (mind blowing).

In fact your post got me to lookup Marcus Borg online and I found this site and see that his foundation has second Saturday zoom meetings and discussions that I think I want to try out and be a part of, so I thank you for posting. You are helping me on my spiritual journey: https://marcusjborg.org/

Old 05-28-2022, 08:29 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Did I say because my mom told me it was ... and she got it from a good course ... the priest?

Old 05-28-2022, 09:08 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
That is very true of Romantic Love.

I really do feel that romantic love is even more destructive than hate.

I don't expect many to agree with me - but considering it is one of the leading causes of violent crime *shrug* there you go. Far more people are murdered over "love" than they are over "hate."
Like dear old mom used to say, "make good choices!"

I'm not sure the point here, but needless to say love can be a "two-edged sword." Still, I'd hate to think how crappy my life would be without the love of all kinds that has been a part of my life from the beginning. All the kinds of love including the romantic kind. Unfortunately, others have not been so lucky, and no doubt the wrong side of that sword can be a horrible experience. Even lethal.

I'm not sure it serves anyone much good to try and measure whether more people are murdered over love compared to hate, but I'd start by asking whether it's actually love that people are murdered over. Might be other emotions involved there that better describe the motive(s) for murder.

Old 05-28-2022, 10:25 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

I'm not sure the point here, but needless to say love can be a "two-edged sword." Still, I'd hate to think how crappy my life would be without the love of all kinds that has been a part of my life from the beginning. All the kinds of love including the romantic kind. Unfortunately, others have not been so lucky, and no doubt the wrong side of that sword can be a horrible experience. Even lethal.

I'm not sure it serves anyone much good to try and measure whether more people are murdered over love compared to hate, but I'd start by asking whether it's actually love that people are murdered over. Might be other emotions involved there that better describe the motive(s) for murder.
Lots of hurt/harm motivated by hate.
Relative to Love/Romance...it would actually be withheld love, or jealousy, or the loyalty expectation related to love being violated...thus converting that love to a form of execration that results in the motivation to hurt/harm. Not necessarily the love itself.

Old 05-28-2022, 03:23 PM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

Hatred is nothing but disappointed love.

The true opposite of love is indifference.

I mean why do you think that theists so often accuse atheists of "hating" this Being that they don't even believe exists?

It's because if we hate god, we actually love him and are just disappointed in him. But what is truly intolerable to theists is that the truth is, we don't hate god. We see nothing valuable in the concept. We are indifferent to something that impresses believers to no end. And that is just too much of a blow to the ol' ego.

Old 05-28-2022, 04:03 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Hatred is nothing but disappointed love.

The true opposite of love is indifference.

I mean why do you think that theists so often accuse atheists of "hating" this Being that they don't even believe exists?

It's because if we hate god, we actually love him and are just disappointed in him. But what is truly intolerable to theists is that the truth is, we don't hate god. We see nothing valuable in the concept. We are indifferent to something that impresses believers to no end. And that is just too much of a blow to the ol' ego.
Thanks. I never thought about why atheists are accused of hating God that way. Not sure I think that hate is disappointed love though.

Old 05-28-2022, 06:07 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Thanks. I never thought about why atheists are accused of hating God that way. Not sure I think that hate is disappointed love though.
Atheists are "accused" of hating God because in the Theist view there has to be one. And they don't realize that the Atheist's "hate" is actually directed toward this insistence that there is a God and the Theist demand that this is truth.

Theists hate Atheists when the Atheist insists that God believing as all a fairy tale. That "Santa Claus for adults" line really makes 'em mad.

Old 05-28-2022, 06:41 PM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Atheists are "accused" of hating God because in the Theist view there has to be one. And they don't realize that the Atheist's "hate" is actually directed toward this insistence that there is a God and the Theist demand that this is truth.

Theists hate Atheists when the Atheist insists that God believing as all a fairy tale. That "Santa Claus for adults" line really makes 'em mad.
In any case it seems atheists are as attached to god as theists are, and god is the reason for atheism to exist.

Old 05-28-2022, 07:53 PM

1,480 posts, read 480,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

Why would I accuse you of what you do not know. Why do you label someone who looks to God as an accuser and hater in your post, as if you know them all.

One seed forms roots and grows into a tree and one seed forms roots and grows into a bush, and each kind of seed has its own knowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality