Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 02:33 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Good post Christy and I think this sums up what most Americans feel....especially the first paragraph.

As to the bolded statement, I'm not always so sure that it's all that sticky really. Remember the old saying: "Your rights end where mine begin." If the courts and, more importantly, individuals would just remember this little statement, it would all be pretty clear cut. Ah, I can dream, can't I?
But that is the trouble in this country...who decides where ones rights end and anothers begin??? This is what I meant by a sticky situation...because it would force us to amend the free speech amendment and limit exactly what free speech can be...I don't see it happening anytime in the near future...but I also can dream...

It all boils down to respect for each other and their views...being willing to give everyone their own personal space on this planet. Sometimes the religious fanatics forget that we all don't think like they do...as much as they'd like us to.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:45 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
But that is the trouble in this country...who decides where ones rights end and anothers begin??? This is what I meant by a sticky situation...because it would force us to amend the free speech amendment and limit exactly what free speech can be...I don't see it happening anytime in the near future...but I also can dream...

It all boils down to respect for each other and their views...being willing to give everyone their own personal space on this planet. Sometimes the religious fanatics forget that we all don't think like they do...as much as they'd like us to.
Very true and that is sort of what I was getting down to - respect. I don't think that we need to amend the 1st Amendment, but we sure need a whole lot more common sense and respect on the bench and the population, don't we?

Old 08-05-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Very true and that is sort of what I was getting down to - respect. I don't think that we need to amend the 1st Amendment, but we sure need a whole lot more common sense and respect on the bench and the population, don't we?
Yes we do...but this is something I've found the religious refuse to do because they are always right and their views are always right and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks...they want to have it all their way...they want the entire world to be blind little sheeple like themselves. The Dark Ages are over and I really don't want to go back there do you?

Old 08-05-2010, 03:42 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
No...you misunderstood me here...I don't care if they have their churches and practice their religion in their churches...I equate them with any other club or group that has their own building and their little meetings. I just don't want to be confronted with it on the street by well meaning religionists trying to spread their brand of religiosity...know what I mean? I'm from Chicago and I can't tell you how many times I've been stopped on the streets by people trying to save me or have someone come to my door at the butt crack of dawn...sometimes they just refuse to take no for an answer, which forces me to become extremely nasty and ruins my day. Seriously...it gets to be very irritating when you tell them you're not interested and they keep on. I'm in AL now...the by-bull belt, and this doesn't happen as much here simply because they take it for granted that we all believe on Jesus. I also don't believe churches should be completely tax exempt...especially given the fact that most of the donations they receive are spent on themselves. If the portions that were actually spent on charity were tax exempt...I would not have a problem with that.

If you've ever seen the documentary "Jesus Camp", I think you'd know why some folks think that teaching religious doctrine to children is "child abuse". I saw this documentary when I actually was a Christian and I was extremely disturbed and appalled by it...the trauma these kids were enduring, with their parents participation and blessing, was just unconscionable to me. But who determines whether or not this is child abuse?? That's a pretty sticky issue there buddy.

Unfortunately...we are in a country that offers every person the right to free speech...I don't have an issue with that. I do have an issue when religious fanaticism starts infringing on my rights and others rights...case in point....the whack jobs protesting at funerals. I don't believe anyone, no matter who they are or what they believe in, should have the right to practice ignorance and hate...free speech should not apply to these types of things. But, then again, who decides where we draw the line? That's another pretty sticky issue.
I didn't necessarily think you wanted to ace the churches...I was saying if someone DID feel like that...that they should not hold back on stating it.

If the guys who signed the Constitution could see what passes as "speech" they'd tell us we had lost our minds.

That Westboro Baptist Church is the poster-child for some restrictions to be put in place. I see those people, and wonder how anyone could be like that...I won't tell you my other thoughts on it.

I'm from the hybrid position...I believe in a Source God, but I have no religious affiliation what-so-ever. So it's easy for me to look at most of what I see on this board from the outside...since 90% of it doesn't define me.

I will always hold the position that "Majority Rule" (the majority of ALL the people) is the "most fair" way...and anything else is less so. Since you can't satisfy everyone...you satisfy the most possible. You can't do any better than that.

But, since religion is ultimately uniquely personal...your own belief is always the RIGHT belief.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:05 PM

365 posts, read 511,403 times
Jesus said HE is the TRUTH, John 14:6. So that's as simple as that, Jesus is the way, the path and the true religion to follow.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:10 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHeart View Post
Jesus said HE is the TRUTH, John 14:6. So that's as simple as that, Jesus is the way, the path and the true religion to follow.
A lot of us Indians would differ with you vehemently.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:39 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,735,637 times
Quote:
Then Jesus was a master plagiarist (correction: the authors of his story were):

Jesus and Mithra - FreeThoughtPedia.

Jesus as a reincarnation of Mithra

MITHRAS = CHRISTIANITY

I could go on....but I'll save us some bandwidth for now.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I didn't necessarily think you wanted to ace the churches...I was saying if someone DID feel like that...that they should not hold back on stating it.

If the guys who signed the Constitution could see what passes as "speech" they'd tell us we had lost our minds.

That Westboro Baptist Church is the poster-child for some restrictions to be put in place. I see those people, and wonder how anyone could be like that...I won't tell you my other thoughts on it.

I'm from the hybrid position...I believe in a Source God, but I have no religious affiliation what-so-ever. So it's easy for me to look at most of what I see on this board from the outside...since 90% of it doesn't define me.

I will always hold the position that "Majority Rule" (the majority of ALL the people) is the "most fair" way...and anything else is less so. Since you can't satisfy everyone...you satisfy the most possible. You can't do any better than that.

But, since religion is ultimately uniquely personal...your own belief is always the RIGHT belief.
Wow...here's a scary thought...you and I have alot in common.

I'm sure your thoughts and mine are exactly the same regarding Westboro...so there's no need to go down that road.

I also believe in a Source...I don't particularly like to give it the label of god just given the connotation that the label invokes...images of the bible god. Religious belief/spirituality is personal and each person is unique and we all walk to a different drummer...I guess that's one of the things I don't really understand about most religious folks...they are always trying to get someone to follow the road they've taken and that's not the way it works. Perhaps that is why there is no unity in the ranks of the religious...they haven't learned to respect each others personal beliefs...they haven't learned how live and let live...how to agree to disagree and move on.

Food for thought...

Old 08-05-2010, 09:11 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,994 times
Quote:
Please spare us canned literature - let us use some common sense! Over 90% of the people follow whatever they are born into. THAT turns out to be the right religion for them. You could have been born in Saudi and be singing praises of Allah right now.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:23 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Wow...here's a scary thought...you and I have alot in common.

I'm sure your thoughts and mine are exactly the same regarding Westboro...so there's no need to go down that road.

I also believe in a Source...I don't particularly like to give it the label of god just given the connotation that the label invokes...images of the bible god. Religious belief/spirituality is personal and each person is unique and we all walk to a different drummer...I guess that's one of the things I don't really understand about most religious folks...they are always trying to get someone to follow the road they've taken and that's not the way it works. Perhaps that is why there is no unity in the ranks of the religious...they haven't learned to respect each others personal beliefs...they haven't learned how live and let live...how to agree to disagree and move on.

Food for thought...
The Westboro Baptist Church is a study in something much greater than an issue of Free Speech. It is a study in Human Nature...and it just shows how evil begets evil. "Karma", "Reap what you Sow", "What Goes Around Comes Around" is at work there. I see their evil...and INSTANTLY I have thoughts of retaliatory evil. And then it bothers me even more...I don't like that feeling...negative vibes suk. Hating hate...what a vicious circle!

You are so right Christy. It is about respect, live and let live, agree to disagree.

I haven't got a problem calling God "God". If someone has some off-the-wall image of a Superpower Dictator...flooding the Earth and condemning people to eternal torment...that's THEIR headtrip problem. It's such a shame greedy, power hungry men had to make that up so they could run their game...but there isn't anything I'm going to do about the damage that has already been done. I can only try my best to be cool as I can be.

The door-to-door thumpers don't really bug me...I usually shake them off pretty easy. I tell them I'm busy...thank them for taking their time and trouble to think of me...and give them some discount coupons to my business to show my appreciation. They typically leave me alone after that. They probably think I must be too far gone to bother with. LOL! I do a lot of volunteer and charity work...so I come in contact with a lot of very religious people at the fundraisers, the shelter, and the food pantry...they probably assume I am into it too. It's seldom an issue...and I tell them I respect their effort and all they do...and it's great we are able to do this for our fellow man that is in need. I'll say this...some of them are as nice as any people you could ever meet. They give unbelievable amounts of their time, money, and resources to help the less fortunate...some to the point of true sacrifice. So, if they want to throw in a "God Bless You" or "Praise Jesus" or say a prayer to Bless the food we are serving...I've got no problem with that. MOF, I give thanks along with them...it doesn't hurt me a bit...if anything it makes me feel good. The tolerance and respect goes both ways. I'm sitting in a glass house...so I'm not about to throw stones anyway...but I guess I've just been lucky and most (not all) of the "holy-rollers" I've met in my life have been good, decent people. If anything...I'm the "black-sheep" of the bunch...but they are still cool to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality