Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 10:33 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avasa View Post
It doesn't.

Psalm 83:18 (King James Version)

18That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.
The KJV says that Jesus and 'God' are the same. You, as a JW, don't believe that. You believe that Jesus and God are two different entities, that Jesus is not God but the son of God. So I ask you again. How do you reconcile that?

Old 08-15-2010, 10:37 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
I don't disagree but preaching the good news of the kingdom is what followers of Jesus is suppose to do. We don't try to make people listen we just hope they will.
I guess I just wish you could somehow learn to appreciate others instead of trying to change them. I would never want to take someone's faith away from them - even if they believe something I don't. What a person believes is personal to them. I respect that. By trying to change people - you are not appreciating them or respecting them. You are telling them that they are not good enough the way they are. I feel like if people that proseltyze spent more time listening instead of talking - maybe they would have a better chance at really appreciating the human spirit and how different and wonderful we all are.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:41 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I guess I just wish you could somehow learn to appreciate others instead of trying to change them. I would never want to take someone's faith away from them - even if they believe something I don't. What a person believes is personal to them. I respect that. By trying to change people - you are not appreciating them or respecting them. You are telling them that they are not good enough the way they are. I feel like if people that proseltyze spent more time listening instead of talking - maybe they would have a better chance at really appreciating the human spirit and how different and wonderful we all are.

Well said!

Old 08-15-2010, 11:06 PM

409 posts, read 399,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Do your research about how the Watchtower people deal with pedophiles "internally" rather than report them to the authorities...
Shaun's Research on the Jehovah's Witnesses (http://www.jwfiles.com/news/dateline5-28-02.htm - broken link)
Regarding turning families against one another I witnessed that my self when a god friends family imploded because of shunning.
I do not know for a fact anything about any cases of child molestation in the organization. I don't believe everything I read in the media. Of course I'm not saying there hasn't been cover ups but that isn't what the organization teaches.

How Can We Protect Our Children? - Jehovah's Witnesses Official Web Site

Old 08-15-2010, 11:15 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
I do not know for a fact anything about any cases of child molestation in the organization. I don't believe everything I read in the media. Of course I'm not saying there hasn't been cover ups but that isn't what the organization teaches.

How Can We Protect Our Children? - Jehovah's Witnesses Official Web Site
Don't feel bad, there are pedophiles in every religion, and cover ups are not new.

The Watch Tower Corporation has changed its charter many times during its existence and also has created more than a handful of affiliated corporations to carry on its purpose. But most recently, these corporations have found themselves embroiled in lawsuits, notably nine child sexual abuse lawsuits which Watch Tower secretly settled out-of-court in February 2007. Important court documents from these lawsuits can be obtained through this website.

Watchtower Documents LLC - Court Documents

Freeminds.org - Discover The Truth About Jehovah's Witnesses and the Watchtower Society - The Discoveries of Barbara Anderson

The Watch Tower Corporation has changed its charter many times during its existence and also has created more than a handful of affiliated corporations to carry on its purpose. But most recently, these corporations have found themselves embroiled in lawsuits, notably nine child sexual abuse lawsuits which Watch Tower secretly settled out-of-court in February 2007. Important court documents from these lawsuits can be obtained through this website.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
The KJV says that Jesus and 'God' are the same. You, as a JW, don't believe that. You believe that Jesus and God are two different entities, that Jesus is not God but the son of God. So I ask you again. How do you reconcile that?
Just a few examples....

John 14:28
1 Corinthians 8:6
John 5:37
John 8:17,18

Last edited by Avasa; 08-16-2010 at 12:30 AM..

Old 08-15-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Jesus didn't just let the ones he met believe whatever they wanted to. He taught the ones that wanted to hear. I'm certainly not saying that I or the witnesses or even Jesus himself has a right to force anyone into listening but what I am saying is that we follow Jesus' example and do as commanded to preach the good news. Some will want to hear it some will not and we understand that. We don't force anyone to listen or read anything we say.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Don't feel bad, there are pedophiles in every religion, and cover ups are not new.

Watchtower Documents LLC - Court Documents

Freeminds.org - Discover The Truth About Jehovah's Witnesses and the Watchtower Society - The Discoveries of Barbara Anderson

Whatever truths there may be on those sites I'm not aware of because I don't know the facts. I do know that there is no perfect people on this earth thus there will be crimes commited. I do however believe in what my religion teaches me about God and his purpose for the earth. I won't let a few bad men or women that are or were witnesses, mess that up for me.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:48 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
I love the circular logic of many Christians. Why do you believe The Bible? Because my religion told me to. Why do you believe in your religion? Because The Bible told me too.
And that's about as good as an answer as your ever going to get...because they refuse to look further to see if what they are actually believing in is true.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:52 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenmaud View Post
When I was in my early thirties, I decided to try and confirm that my definition of morality was valid. The way I did this was to compare three ethical philosophies: Christianity, Sociobiology and Existentialismsince these three are representative of God, Science and Conscience. When I was finished, I came to two conclusions.

The first was that a person’s religion (Christian, Muslim, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist,et al) is usually just an accident of birth. If born in a Muslim country, a person will probably be and remain Muslim; if born of Christian parents a person will be and probably remain Christian. In my mind, this means it doesn't matter much what religion a person is nor does a person's religion serve as an accurate predictor of how moral the individual will be nor are generalizations about all persons of one religion being collectively more or less moral than those of another religion valid.

The second conclusion I reached was that morality has very little to do with the practice of religion. Atheists and agnostics may be more moral than religious people who are prone to be intolerant of those of other faiths. In fact, institutionalize religion has been the catalyst for some of the greatest atrocities in the history of the world. Some of these atrocities have been committed by Christians and some such as September 11th by Muslims.
I agree completely with you and I've said it time and time again...the only thing that separates a Muslim from a Christian is....GEOGRAPHY. To me this is just pure COMMON SENSE...and I wonder why so many don't realize this...that their religious belifs are a product of their upbringing or their environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality