Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2011, 06:27 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Not Lionpainter... The Son Of God?????

Is that the dude that DM's people a lot?I got a few when I was active before from someone who was a few spades shy of a suit.

Did they end up banning him or something that he has to reincarnate around here?

Old 04-10-2011, 09:13 PM

591 posts, read 641,369 times
You can deify anything. You can deify the whole phenomenon of a storm and call it THor. You can pray to Thor, the personification of a storm, to bring rain, and this deity can represent firtility, and awsome power. I am thinking one reason for the downfall of mythologies is the fictional soap opera stories that gets made up about the adventures of Thor and Loki, or Zeus and Loki and such, muddies up the original charecteristics of said deities. THeir original meanings gets lost in all the fairytale storytelling(which is happening to Christianity and Judaism with Islam)

Hinduism takes deifying to new levels. They break down specific charecteristics into deities and prays for the one God to absorb the deity, and they leave out all the fairytelling soap operas. I think that explains one reason for the longevity of the religion.

THen you have Christ teaching us to absorb his deity. ANd the Rider in Rev19 which personifies certain charecteristics, and anyone can absorb the deity in various ways. Every charecter in the Bible is a deity that either represents what to absorb, or examples of what NOT to absorb. It's like with Hinduism, it is Hindus asking for God to absorb certain deities, and with Christianity, it is God asking for us to absorb his deities. Be like this and do these things.

God creates deities in dreams(hence the Rider in Rev19). I had a prophetic dream of a horse and a rider, and the horse had a hole in his head where the rider would put his bottle of wine into(like a cup holder). And the horse was real mad looking and stupid because ot the gaping hole. I soon realized THis deity personified drunk drivers on the road. God was trying to tell me something by creating the personification, or the deity. So any charecter in any book, any charecter in any dream, anything with any charecteristic AT ALL is a deity. THat means anything inanimate as well. You can absorb the deity of a banana. BE a banana.........................

YouTube - Banana Song (I'm A Banana)

Last edited by Ball Pean; 04-10-2011 at 09:53 PM..

Old 04-10-2011, 09:23 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
No need for lionpainter for laughs....

Old 04-11-2011, 02:08 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Ball Pean: You simply had an inventive dream. No need to drag a deity into it. Give yourself some credit!

Old 04-11-2011, 06:04 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I don't think any one religion is the right religion..I spent too many years trying to find the right religion..I finally realized that I was not getting anywhere by trying to follow mans interpertation of God and his Son and how to spend eternity with them. I had to let go of everything I knew and everything I had been taught, and started over with just me and the spirit within me guiding, teaching and showing me...What a journey it has been to get to the point I am today in an up close and personal relationship with Him, His Son and the Spirit within me..The peace I have, my unquestioning faith and my love and acceptance of people with different religions has shown me that finally my religion is right for me, and God is pleased
You beat me to the punch line as usual Miss Blue.

A kindred spirit?

Old 04-11-2011, 11:04 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,396 times
My religion is only the right religion for me. For someone else, it probably wouldn't work. This goes for all religions. Each individual will alter the religion in various ways depending on their lifestyle. I knew a christian pastor who felt this same way. In one of his sermons he said to the whole church that he loves talking to people about their faith, but please don't start saying that it only works this way and that way. Because religion is unique to the person.

I wouldn't even consider what I do a religion, it is spiritual and does not conform to any one religion.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:38 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
This subject will always be a dilemma because:
A.) If there is a Supreme Being or Beings or gods, eternal truth and afterlife, they aren't going to change to suit what we want to believe. They are the way they are. Varying opinion here on earth doesn't redefine what God actually is or isn't. Some do feel that God is actually DOES morph into whatever we decide he is, but the vast majority of people realize that for every religious question out there, there has to be a right answer.
B.) Because the world has long-since realized that part A is true, they've spent countless centuries trying to wipe out everyone who doesn't believe in the same thing they do -- because they're seeking to purge the world of the infidels/heretics/liars/pagans/unbelievers.

Part A is just common sense. Part B is where common sense makes people stupid.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:24 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
"Beware of the man whose God is in the skies."

And my other favorite:

"That A believer is happier than a sceptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

George Bernard Shaw

Old 04-15-2011, 12:29 PM

881 posts, read 1,112,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseedreamin View Post
I'm a Jehovah's Witness, we believe and behave differently that the faiths of Christendom that you mentioned.

I tried that religion, and it almost turned me away from God because of the hypocracy..... I never saw so much back biting, gossip, slander, coveting of others husbands, wives, etc, etc, etc....

if anything was wrong you better keep your mouth shut so you don't bring reproach on the congregation etc....

It was comletely "keeping up appearances"

"I Believe that God does not live in man made temples"...

So personally, I believe in God, in Jesus, and their love and guidance no matter WHERE you live, if you can read or not, if you have had the privillage of reading a bible, (really there are SOOO many translations) but God wrote these things in our hearts, so if you are from some Zulu tribe that hasn't been reached by religion... you are still good to go when you have that inner love and guidance.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:51 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Religion is man made.
A true relationship with the God you know would be the determining factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality