Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2022, 11:48 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
A bunch of elected, respected members of the congress believed Dick Cheneys “facts” about the existence of chemical weapons in Iraq and took us to war and the destruction of a country, people, and hunted down a man and killed him. Those facts in fact were lies, but who cares. They seemed like facts then. A country destroyed, a society however much the US disapproved of was left in shambles and people were tortured. It was a criminal act.
Oh well. We failed to refine those facts is all.
To rely on facts as truth is as dangerous as to adhere to religious texts indiscriminately. There is only Truth. Everything else is unreliable, and only useful until it is not.
I am not quite that nihilistic. Or to borrow a phrase, I "trust, but verify".

Cheney's alleged WMD were claims, not facts. If politicians and the media and the public gave too much trust to those claims, that is not a bum rap for the actual facts. it just reflects that people with vested interests aren't interested in facts if they conflict with their objectives. And our media is not as trustworthy as we'd like to suppose.

Every claim has to be validated with actual evidence.

Right now it is very difficult to fully trust either side of the Ukraine war, just as in the run-up to and during the Iraq war. Yesterday it was alleged that the Ukrainians had sunk the Russian flagship, a strategically important missile launch platform. Western military confirmed, then unconfirmed. In the end Russia admitted it had sunk while being towed to port in a storm. So now we can be pretty sure the ship is out of play, however that came about. Just not the details. The weather forecast in the area was for 14 mph winds, hardly a "storm", so probably either it was an accidental ordinance explosion or one triggered by Ukranian missile attacks. Either way, embarrassing to and problematic for Russia.

So it goes. You have things presented as facts, which you then must validate to some acceptable margin of error. Sometimes, as with the sunk ship, it's virtually impossible that it will un-sink. Other times, sure, there's the possibility of new information coming into play and changing the conclusion. This does not make the underlying truth of the matter unreliable. It just reflects our own tendencies sloppy thinking combined with out imperfect knowledge. I am however still naive enough to suppose that the truth of most matters CAN be determined, or at least approached. I do not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Old 04-15-2022, 01:45 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I am not quite that nihilistic. Or to borrow a phrase, I "trust, but verify".

Cheney's alleged WMD were claims, not facts. If politicians and the media and the public gave too much trust to those claims, that is not a bum rap for the actual facts. it just reflects that people with vested interests aren't interested in facts if they conflict with their objectives. And our media is not as trustworthy as we'd like to suppose.

Every claim has to be validated with actual evidence.

Right now it is very difficult to fully trust either side of the Ukraine war, just as in the run-up to and during the Iraq war. Yesterday it was alleged that the Ukrainians had sunk the Russian flagship, a strategically important missile launch platform. Western military confirmed, then unconfirmed. In the end Russia admitted it had sunk while being towed to port in a storm. So now we can be pretty sure the ship is out of play, however that came about. Just not the details. The weather forecast in the area was for 14 mph winds, hardly a "storm", so probably either it was an accidental ordinance explosion or one triggered by Ukranian missile attacks. Either way, embarrassing to and problematic for Russia.

So it goes. You have things presented as facts, which you then must validate to some acceptable margin of error. Sometimes, as with the sunk ship, it's virtually impossible that it will un-sink. Other times, sure, there's the possibility of new information coming into play and changing the conclusion. This does not make the underlying truth of the matter unreliable. It just reflects our own tendencies sloppy thinking combined with out imperfect knowledge. I am however still naive enough to suppose that the truth of most matters CAN be determined, or at least approached. I do not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

There you go. You are just proving my point except with a lot more words as if you are saying something important or different. **** happens time and again because we rely on facts, people die, a country is laid waste. I cannot believe one could be so in thrall of "facts" when it is just a mirage we like to believe and act upon, and on top of it feel so superior that you do. It is delusional, no less than what people who trust their religious texts as literal are.

This line of dialog is over.

Old 04-15-2022, 03:23 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
There you go. You are just proving my point except with a lot more words as if you are saying something important or different. **** happens time and again because we rely on facts, people die, a country is laid waste. I cannot believe one could be so in thrall of "facts" when it is just a mirage we like to believe and act upon, and on top of it feel so superior that you do. It is delusional, no less than what people who trust their religious texts as literal are.

It was not the relying on facts that lead to the war. Much of the World did not believe in WMD in Iraq at the time. There is no such thing as facts that are true in one country but not in other countries whereas the fact that things dropped fall down are facts in all countries and in all times.

Reinvent the meaning of the term facts for your own personal advantage is easily detected and truly a dishonest way of trying to prove that your Truth, whatever that may be , is more dependable that some other Truth

Old 04-15-2022, 03:40 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
It was not the relying on facts that lead to the war. Much of the World did not believe in WMD in Iraq at the time. There is no such thing as facts that are true in one country but not in other countries whereas the fact that things dropped fall down are facts in all countries and in all times.

Reinvent the meaning of the term facts for your own personal advantage is easily detected and truly a dishonest way of trying to prove that your Truth, whatever that may be , is more dependable that some other Truth
Yes, and they do it all the time. Among the religious there is often a phenomenon of being unable to distinguish between faith and fact.

Old 04-15-2022, 04:45 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, and they do it all the time. Among the religious there is often a phenomenon of being unable to distinguish between faith and fact.
It is quite simple, facts are unworthy and faith is the truth. Anyone bringing up the WMD as facts either does not care about facts or does not understand that the Americans accepting it as facts was far from Universal.

It is not that there isn't good things within faith but one should never need to lie or deceive in order to support your faith. Or one "our" side we also should not distort or lie to support our position.

Old 04-15-2022, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
It is quite simple, facts are unworthy and faith is the truth. Anyone bringing up the WMD as facts either does not care about facts or does not understand that the Americans accepting it as facts was far from Universal.

It is not that there isn't good things within faith but one should never need to lie or deceive in order to support your faith. Or one "our" side we also should not distort or lie to support our position.
Agreed.

Old 04-15-2022, 07:06 PM

Quote:
So we are just supposed to give up even trying to determine what is factual or true, I guess. Good luck with that.
Quote:
As you wish.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
So we are just supposed to give up even trying to determine what is factual or true, I guess. Good luck with that.

As you wish.
Hey, it's your lucky day!

Old 04-16-2022, 03:25 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:

Lol, gets refuted again, claims victory, then attempts to stop the conversation.

Old 04-16-2022, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Lol, gets refuted again, claims victory, then attempts to stop the conversation.
Yeah nothing highlights a failed argument more than the arguer losing their ... er, serenity, picking up their playthings, and stomping off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality