Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2007, 01:35 PM

329 posts, read 1,099,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
As long as you don't try to foist it on anyone else, that's perfectly fine, and the way it should be.
Last time I checked.... I hadn't done any "foisting". This IS however the "Religion" forum. I undoubtedly came to the conclusion therefore, by the name given to it, that this IS the best place to speak of my beliefs. Is that "Foisting"? Asked myself this question... Ummmm... Nope... asked myself again, just to make sure... Nope... still not foisting, and that my friends.. is my final answer!

Secondly, I would like to say to all other Christians out there... please.. let us remember not to harm others by "foisting" our Gods; love, compassion, understanding, morals, truth, goodness, charity, empathy, friendship, and brotherhood onto others. How could we even think about doing something so obviously harmful to others. Tssk Tssk. Shame on us. I want to therefore apologize for my foisting of these aforementioned things onto others. I'll try and be more *cough cough* uncompassionate, unmoralistic, hateful and uncaring the next time. I however can't guarantee anything, but that I will try, in order to please more people. Thank you.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:46 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,378 times
The religion I was taught as a child is, by definition, the RIGHT RELIGION. Ask any child anywhere in the ENTIRE WORLD, and you will get the same answer. What else would you expect?

The issue is, what religion do people adopt as ADULTS, or at least after the point when they begin to engage their brains in actual thought about important questions.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:28 PM

65 posts, read 88,011 times
I think as people get older, they realize that their life is coming to an end, and hope for forgiveness and start going to church, just so they can get into "heaven" which is absurd, just cause your going to die doesnt mean you should get special treatment.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:01 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Foist- a: to introduce or insert surreptitiously or without warrant b: to force another to accept especially by stealth or deceit; 2: to pass off as genuine or worthy <foist costly and valueless products on the public — Jonathan Spivak>.

Sorry, it’s not a third grade word; rather than make fun of something that is not of your understanding, you might do some research before you make fun of the person using a word/concept that you don’t understand.

So, you have many gods: love, compassion, understanding, morals, truth, goodness, charity, empathy, friendship, and brotherhood onto others. I thought Christians had only one god?! Again, you don’t have a corner on the market and your behavior belies your attempt to show the attributes you list above. Or is it more of a do as I say, not as I do attitude? Moral behavior?

I love it when Christians show their superiority by being obviously obtuse. It is more telling than endless words disparaging non-believers.

BTW (on edit) I was complimenting lastra for her comment that it was the right religion FOR HER, and not pushing her beliefs on anyone else.

Last edited by chielgirl; 10-19-2007 at 07:16 PM..

Old 10-19-2007, 07:11 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Default Word to listen to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
I don't think my religion is the right or the wrong one. I believe in it, and to me it MAKES sense, therefore I think it is the right religion for me.
I can't help but think that no matter who has posted here thus far, that lastra has made a point that can, and does, apply to each and every one of us, regarding our personal beliefs, or lack thereof...

Just a thought that I wanted to both highlight, as well as ask everyone to (re)consider....

Take gentle care!
-June

Old 10-19-2007, 10:35 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,847 times
I don't. I was baptized into it and led to believe that it was. I've read about others and can't intellectualize who is "right" vs. "wrong". So I stick with what I am. It's familiar and feels comfortable and familiar.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:39 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
I can't help but think that no matter who has posted here thus far, that lastra has made a point that can, and does, apply to each and every one of us, regarding our personal beliefs, or lack thereof...

Just a thought that I wanted to both highlight, as well as ask everyone to (re)consider....

Take gentle care!
-June
Yup and lets not forget God isn't a religion, He's bigger than that IMHO.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:01 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
Originally Posted by june 7th
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra
Quote:
I don't think my religion is the right or the wrong one. I believe in it, and to me it MAKES sense, therefore I think it is the right religion for me.
True, but the problem is that Nazis would claim that it only feels right for them to feel superior over others, therefore it makes sense for them.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:08 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,950,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
I think about 95% of the world population believes in some form of a higher being. I myself believe in God.

My question for you is, how do you know your religion is the right religion? With so many religions out there, how do you know yours is right?

Also, have you ever doubted your religion?

No mean to cause any controversy. I just want to hear people's opinions about this subject.

I know my religion is the right religion because everything makes sense. Not that other religions don't, I just have a feeling in my heart that it is the right religion.

No religion is the right religion. As far as we know we only use what the bible tells us. I can tell you that Scientology is a load of bull crap in a chef salad though. We use what Jesus gave us and start assuming from there.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:21 PM

56 posts, read 117,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by june 7th
True, but the problem is that Nazis would claim that it only feels right for them to feel superior over others, therefore it makes sense for them.
and that is not ok?? Nietzche would be so dissapointed in you.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality