Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 10:07 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,035 times

Advertisements

We were in a rual area last week, and I noticed that LOTS of the people were super-fat. The people were all white Christians, mostly Protestant.

There were quite a few Mennonites, but none of them seemed to be overweight. I also saw a few Amish, and they were all fairly thin.

Then I thought about the Mormons I know in our area. None of them are fat.

So do you think the religions with lots of rules (Amish, Mennonite, Mormon, Orthodix Jews, etc.) have rules that discourage obesity?

Old 07-02-2012, 10:27 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
We were in a rual area last week, and I noticed that LOTS of the people were super-fat. The people were all white Christians, mostly Protestant.

There were quite a few Mennonites, but none of them seemed to be overweight. I also saw a few Amish, and they were all fairly thin.

Then I thought about the Mormons I know in our area. None of them are fat.

So do you think the religions with lots of rules (Amish, Mennonite, Mormon, Orthodix Jews, etc.) have rules that discourage obesity?
To a certain extent Islam discourages obesity. Provided one follows the Ahadith, Sunnah, Qur'an and 5 pillars fully.

A person should eat until their stomach contains 1/3 food 1/3 water and is 1/3 empty. we should avoid excesses in all things and do everything in moderation. A person should attend the Mosgue for every Salah and ride no closer than a five minute walk to the Mosque.

There is more. But that is all I can think of at the moment.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:46 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,310 times
In Judaism it is considered a sin to abuse one's body. We do not "own" our bodies (we do, however, own our souls). Our bodies are on rent from the Al-Mighty. When one becomes obese and remains that way until they die, it's like renting a bike from the local bike shop and then later returning it in disrepair. Not cool.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:50 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,955,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
In Judaism it is considered a sin to abuse one's body. We do not "own" our bodies (we do, however, own our souls). Our bodies are on rent from the Al-Mighty. When one becomes obese and remains that way until they die, it's like renting a bike from the local bike shop and then later returning it in disrepair. Not cool.
If I remember right, the Kosher diet was being promoted not too long ago as being a very healthy way to live even for non-Jews.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
If I remember right, the Kosher diet was being promoted not too long ago as being a very healthy way to live even for non-Jews.
Unfortunately, cookies, nachos, beer and pretzles can all be kosher. There's no way to equate a kosher diet with being healthy. But one thing a kosher diet does ensure, however, is that one does not ever eat any bugs. Bugs are never kosher (accept for a few variesties of grasshoppers, possibly).

Old 07-02-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Do you think Orthodox Jews maintain a proper weight better than other Jews?

In my area of Northern Virginia, I don't see many super-fat people, and my Jewish friends (who I don't think are orthodox) look the same as everyone else.

What happens if an Orthodox Jew starts to get fat? Do you speak to him about it? If not, does the Rabbi tell him to lose some weight?

Old 07-02-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Bugs are never kosher
Not even a big, juicy cockroach?? Darn! I don't think I will be converting to Judaism any time soon.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Do you think Orthodox Jews maintain a proper weight better than other Jews?

In my area of Northern Virginia, I don't see many super-fat people, and my Jewish friends (who I don't think are orthodox) look the same as everyone else.

What happens if an Orthodox Jew starts to get fat? Do you speak to him about it? If not, does the Rabbi tell him to lose some weight?
So many Jewish customs and holidays have food and wine as an integral part, many Orthodox Jews find it very difficult to avoid becoming heavy. We're human,too - right or wrong.

I often hear my rabbi tell the entire shul (I suspect it's unusual to do it as a one-on-one conversation) that over-eating is a sign of lack of faith in Hashem. It's like telling Hashem that you don't trust that He will provide for you, so you take more food than you need to simply survive and "store" extra amounts on your body frame. A Yid should simply trust in Hashem (the word for that in Hebrew is Bitachim) and is required to eat only that which will encourage his guf (his body) to support his neshama (his soul). On Shabbos, however, we eat to be satiated, not just for subsistance. Shabbos meals tend to be very large (and yummy).

Old 07-02-2012, 04:15 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, cookies, nachos, beer and pretzles can all be kosher. There's no way to equate a kosher diet with being healthy. But one thing a kosher diet does ensure, however, is that one does not ever eat any bugs. Bugs are never kosher (accept for a few variesties of grasshoppers, possibly).
I hate to break this news to you flipflop, but we eat bugs every day... http://www.zagat.com/buzz/how-many-b...d-in-your-food

Old 07-02-2012, 04:27 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,955,630 times
Quote:
Kosher beer? I've never tried any. I am a beer affecionado and have tried many beers from around the world and domestic microbrews, but I did not realize there was Kosher beer. I'll have to look some up!

Okay, just did and learned that many beers I have tried are certified as being Kosher. I was thinking that there might be some specific Jewish brands or something. And I just found some made by Schmaltz Brewing Company. Going to have to try them! Thanks for giving me something new to try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality