Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 01:32 PM

37 posts, read 80,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
This, hate statement, my friend, is exactly why I left the Church of Christ..However, I will say that not all the men of that church are filled with hate. Most of them are simply following the scriptures as they interpret them, and were otherwise nice people, as long as you never challenge their beliefs or invite them to a different church with you..
It's kind of weird how all of the other religions try to make verses say what they what them to mean. It seems as though the Church of Christ is the only religion that leaves it as what it says... what it says is what it says and we leave at that. If it says honor your mother and father, we leave it at that. If it says women are to keep silent and have no authority over a man, that is exactly what it means to us... we don't try to make up our own interpretations. What it says is what we leave it at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 02:08 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancchick07 View Post
Was this in the Old Testament or the New Testament?

Sorry, I should have clarified.

Jesus is in the New Testament.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
It's kind of weird how all of the other religions try to make verses say what they what them to mean. It seems as though the Church of Christ is the only religion that leaves it as what it says
Thank you for clarifying that you believe the Church of Christ is the only 'religion' that has it right. Your words not mine.

Confirmation that you may call yourselves the Church of Christ, but that doesn't necessarily make you the Church of Christ.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:15 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Quote:
It's kind of weird how all of the other religions try to make verses say what they what them to mean. It seems as though the Church of Christ is the only religion that leaves it as what it says... what it says is what it says and we leave at that. If it says honor your mother and father, we leave it at that. If it says women are to keep silent and have no authority over a man, that is exactly what it means to us... we don't try to make up our own interpretations. What it says is what we leave it at.
There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus....Galations 3:28

Don't bother telling me what he really meant..In your own words above "What it says is what it says.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:47 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times
Quote:
And that, sadly, is why June could never have the strength to open the door...Let alone peak in.

Take gentle care.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about?
I'm talking about this......

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
And that, sadly, is why June could never have the strength to open the door...Let alone peak in.

Take gentle care.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:05 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Hey, no worries... it's a common mistake. To answer your last question, that's a tricky one! They definitely don't give us full respect, and actually make fun of us sometimes (not in a cruel way, necessarily). But when it really comes down to it, we're still recognized as Jews simply by virtue of blood... but many will refer to us as "secular Jews" and so forth. See, even the Jewish people have arguments over denominations.
Well, people being what they are, I guess I can't say that I'm surprised. If it wasn't for the fact that I still believe in God, I could almost sign up in June's camp! As it is, I think I'll just continue to avoid organized religion, like I've been doing for the last few years. Frankly, I'm just not convinced that I can find that comfortable niche for myself, as far as worship of my Creator goes, (insofar as a body of like "believers" is concerned). But, I still enjoy reading up on what other religions/denominations believe.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus....Galations 3:28

Don't bother telling me what he really meant..In your own words above "What it says is what it says.
Have you ever heard about how the Catholics say Peter is the foundation of the church because of one verse in Matthew and they say that's why Peter is the pope or whatever? However, in 1 Peter 2, even Peter says Jesus is the foundation and will be the highest in the church.

Come to him, a living stone, though rejected by mortals yet chosen and precious in God’s sight, and like living stones, let yourselves be builtinto a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. For it stands in scripture:
‘See, I am laying in Zion a stone,
a cornerstone chosen and precious;
and whoever believes in himwill not be put to shame.’
To you then who believe, he is precious; but for those who do not believe,
‘The stone that the builders rejected
has become the very head of the corner’,
and
‘A stone that makes them stumble,
and a rock that makes them fall.’
They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do.

If Peter was the foundation of the church, why is Peter the one saying that Jesus is the cornerstone of the church? We can't go by just what one verse says but we rather must take it in context with other verses. 1 Corinthians 14 is not the only chapter that tells women to keep silent. 1 Timothy states Let a womanlearn in silence with full submission. I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over a man;she is to keep silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. This could not be talking about marriage because prayers and supplications are talked about in the first verse. Women can sing because God commands us to sing. A limit is not put on who can and cannot sing. Adam was not the one who was deceived, Eve was... and I think Paul had that in mind when this was written.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Thank you for clarifying that you believe the Church of Christ is the only 'religion' that has it right. Your words not mine.

Confirmation that you may call yourselves the Church of Christ, but that doesn't necessarily make you the Church of Christ.
I didn't say that. I'm sure people get p'd when we say THE church because we exclude all other religions from being part of THE church... but in my eyes, we try to follow what closest to what seems to be right...

Old 10-03-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Sorry, I should have clarified.

Jesus is in the New Testament.
Was this BEFORE Jesus died, which would have made it still under the Old Law, which we no longer live by?? oh wait, yeah... they ministered to him so it had to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality