Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 01:04 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,069 times

Advertisements

Great news for the predictive capabilities of modern Scientific Methodology!

"God Particle" Found? "Historic Milestone" From Higgs Boson Hunters

As predicted by logic, advanced physics and math, the scientists at the LHC facility near Geneva sought and found the elusive Higgs particle, called a boson. What this key (and now proven) particle does for you and I, hence it's moniker as The God Particle (It's responsible for us "being", hanging together as it were...) is to mediate the movement of other key elemental particles, and to provide "mass" for all of them and all of us.

Prior to this latest finding, the Higgs boson particles were speculated to have been formed during the Big Bang Event, but now stand as stark new unavoidable evidence of that also-predicted and well-evidenced event (the identifiable and radio-wave audible background radiation noises, the rapidly expanding universe components [obviously from some point of origin...], the non-existence of short half-life decaying elements, long ago converted into their mor stable forms, and so on.)

Now, as of about June 29th, 2012, we know it ABSOLUTELY DOES EXIST, and when this factual evidence is taken alongside all the other particles, wave forms and radiation outputs we have absolutely, positively found, then it's "pretty damned good evidence" that the previously only hypothesized BB event did, yuppers, actually happen as the initiating event in the history of our Universe. Also, the expansion and remnants of that event clearly show it is nowhere near being "finished", as the bible absolutely assures us.

So, with this particularly poignant, highly relevant and now observed & documented boson particle find (with > 99% probability, btw...), we're pretty much safe in saying (and OK, potentially and hypothetically... accepting that some other outside glorious entity may have initiated the Bang out of shear boredom, and out of nothing), that the BIG BANG did, in fact, occur. ≈14 billion years ago!

Here's a brief description of the particle's relevance:

"...here's where the Higgs particle comes in: Just as the photon mediates interactions with the EM field and is itself an excitation of the EM field, the Higgs particle mediates interactions with the Higgs field, and is itself an excitation of the Higgs field.

Particles trudge through the Higgs field by exchanging virtual Higgs particles with it. And a real Higgs particle surfaces when the field becomes excited, like a slosh of the syrup. Detecting such a slosh (i.e. the particle) is how physicists can be sure the syrup (i.e. the field) exists. "You have to get enough energy to excite the field so that it looks like a particle to us. Otherwise we don't know the field is there," Craig Blocker, a Higgs-hunting physicist at Brandeis University, told Life's Little Mysteries.

But because the Higgs particle is extremely high-energy (or, equivalently, very heavy), it's tough to excite the Higgs field enough to create one. That's where the Large Hadron Collider comes in: by smashing together high-speed protons, it generates enough juice to slosh the syrupy Higgs field around now and again, producing Higgs bosons."

from: How Does the Higgs Particle Give Things Mass? - Yahoo! News

Enjoy your own personal Higgs interactions, and notice how those boson particles (that most definitely formed during the BB...) slow down the quarks in your head and give them, and other particles that interact, mass. You'd be as free and airy as a "puff of etherial nothingness" but for the Hb particles! Rejoice in them!!

(BTW, I won a few bets yesterday with this one, by originally claiming last year that the top-level nuclear, astro- and quantum physics scientists there in Geneva, pretty much knowing what they are "about" technically speaking (and very much unlike, say, gsoboi with his amazingly un-educated post about how it will create a destructive black hole that will "eat" Geneva.... ), would achieve this scientific high water mark event before the end of 2012.

Some of my doubting friends, esp. the noisier Christian doubters I know, said it literally "can not happen!", since "God did not design an such elusive and unnecessary particle!". We are only supposed to know what God has so far clearly shown us!)

Well so much for that empty theory, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 01:21 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,061,611 times
How can we know there is only one type of Boson?

Old 07-04-2012, 01:33 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Rifleman,

I think it's a wonderful thing to have seen such a marvelous scientific feat accomplished in my lifetime - provided that substantiated peer review and further testing hold up the discovery. There are few people who understand the necessity of why we should be looking for such things and even fewer people who understand the importance of such a discovery.

I am personally thrilled to even have a vague conceptual understanding of the Higgs Boson such that I can grasp the importance of its finding. It's high time, though, that scientists use a discovery of this magnitude to bolster scientific and mathematical thinking and inspire the youth of today to think about the grandiosity of making such discoveries in the future.

Provided the reporting does not get out of hand, this can truly become one of the greatest discoveries of our lifetimes. Calling it "The God Particle" is going to irritate the religious wackos to no end and they may end up denying it and forcing false information down the throats of the ignorant to preserve some sort of stupid cultural idea.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:48 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,061,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
"...here's where the Higgs particle comes in: Just as the photon mediates interactions with the EM field and is itself an excitation of the EM field, the Higgs particle mediates interactions with the Higgs field, and is itself an excitation of the Higgs field.

Particles trudge through the Higgs field by exchanging virtual Higgs particles with it. And a real Higgs particle surfaces when the field becomes excited, like a slosh of the syrup. Detecting such a slosh (i.e. the particle) is how physicists can be sure the syrup (i.e. the field) exists. "You have to get enough energy to excite the field so that it looks like a particle to us. Otherwise we don't know the field is there," Craig Blocker, a Higgs-hunting physicist at Brandeis University, told Life's Little Mysteries.

But because the Higgs particle is extremely high-energy (or, equivalently, very heavy), it's tough to excite the Higgs field enough to create one. That's where the Large Hadron Collider comes in: by smashing together high-speed protons, it generates enough juice to slosh the syrupy Higgs field around now and again, producing Higgs bosons."

from: How Does the Higgs Particle Give Things Mass? - Yahoo! News
Reminds me of a theist idea, perhaps if we excite God enough, it looks like a physical thing to us?

Old 07-04-2012, 11:05 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,130,994 times
since 1962 new particles keep showing up in new accelerators... now more $$$ required for another accelerator..

Last edited by stargazzer; 07-04-2012 at 11:44 PM..

Old 07-05-2012, 01:09 AM

422 posts, read 486,525 times
I found this funny:

Quote:
Higgs is an atheist, and is displeased that the Higgs particle is nicknamed the "God particle",[27] as he believes the term "might offend people who are religious".[28] Usually this inappropriate nickname for the Higgs boson is attributed to Leon Lederman, the author of the book The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?, but the name is the result of the insistence of Lederman's publisher: Lederman had originally intended to refer to it as the "goddamn particle"

Old 07-05-2012, 01:23 AM

434 posts, read 342,230 times
Pretty sweet news.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:54 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Is it more than just coincidence that boson sounds just like the contraction bo'sun? (Ahoy there, mateys!)

Old 07-05-2012, 09:36 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,167 times
They said something about finding "an ANSWER" to part of a very complex and detailed Principle entity of the Universe...Now they are asking ...what was the Question?....." Let us Make Humans-kind?...and or can it be done?.."...only time will tell?....I guess it all depends on how it (the God particle) is spun in the head..for the correct results..in actions done//....eh?..yah baby!

Old 07-05-2012, 04:14 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
I am having a spiritual crisis. I accept the existence (or more correctly the possibility of the existence) of the Higgs Boson/God particle from a scientific standpoint. Does that make me no longer an atheist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality