Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 05:33 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,720,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Could somebody please explain this to me?Moderator cut: delete
It's easier to rally people to vote against their best interests if you make up an enemy for them to hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 08:26 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,328,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
That is a tough question to answer because I know so many people who DO care for people in the gay community. My godmother is in her late 60s and came out when she was in high school in the 50s. I've met so many gay people throughout my life and only a few have I disliked, and it was personality based, not because they were gay. I've shared with many of my friends why I believe homosexuality is wrong according to the Bible, (old and new testaments). Their acceptance of what I've shared, or lack of acceptance hasn't made me like or dislike them more.

What really bothers me is when people lump Christians into one category and say we are "all" gay haters. You cannot say every person in a group hates gays because each person is an individual and has his/her own beliefs and convictions. Sure, the majority of Christians are going to say that homosexuality goes against what the Bible teaches, thus that is why they believe it is a sin.

I think many people read into that statement and assume that because we believe it is a sin we must "hate" the person. Heck, I am THE worst of sinners. Believe me, I really am. I am so not perfect and sin more than I want to admit, even to myself. When a friend confides in me about something going on in his life that is sin, I won't turn him away. I would stick by him, encourage him and help him through whatever is going on.
My biggest problem with the whole bible copout is that they cherry pick verses from the bible. While they follow the "rules" they want to they deny others that are in the same book. How and why is this? When's the last time you put your kids to death for disrespecting you? When is the last time you killed an adulterer? What about people who get divorced and then remarry? When is the last time you made a rape victim marry her attacker? Surly you have done all of these things as it is in the bible to do so. Give me a break.

Then they argue that gay marriage destroys the sanctity of marriage. Homosexual relationships are known to last longer then heterosexual ones, in the states where it is legal homosexual marriage has a lower divorce rate. If you want to protect the sanctity of marriage, might I suggest you fix your own first and ban divorce.

To say hate sin, love the sinner is also a copout. If you hate someones for being born a certain way, you essentially hate them not the act. It would be like hating a person for having been born with brown eyes and brown hair.

Homosexuals don't need saving, they need to be allowed to be the person who they were born to be, without being told they are immoral(according to some ancient ideology) or have a mental problem.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:55 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,668,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
I do not think anyone views homosexualls in any poor light anymore than the next. Most Christians simply can not endorse homosexuallity because sperm are living creatures created by the Creator with hope and promise. Yes, every sperm is suppose to be sacred and to one day have a shot an ovum.
I personally do not believe all sperm should come into fruition but of course I'am not the Creator.

I don't know if anybody has already asked this question, but I'm curious, since only one sperm will fertilize one egg, unless of course they have twins or more, and the rest of the millions of sperm that are released and do not fertilize any eggs and thus will die, a wonder how most Christians feel about all those sperm dying?

Old 07-11-2012, 09:16 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,988,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Could somebody please explain this to me?Moderator cut: delete
I don't consider sodomizing another human as being in line with nature. Do you?

Old 07-11-2012, 09:26 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,017,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I don't know if anybody has already asked this question, but I'm curious, since only one sperm will fertilize one egg, unless of course they have twins or more, and the rest of the millions of sperm that are released and do not fertilize any eggs and thus will die, a wonder how most Christians feel about all those sperm dying?
Of course I can not speak for most Christians but that would be nature's call. The opportunity was there.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:09 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,518,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I don't consider sodomizing another human as being in line with nature. Do you?
I can't see that you are as well informed about sexuality in nature as you are in evolutionary theory.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:51 AM

33,567 posts, read 37,179,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Of course I can not speak for most Christians but that would be nature's call. The opportunity was there.
Yes, it is one of the first steps in evolution, as only the strongest and most fit sperm will fertilize the egg.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:58 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,017,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yes, it is one of the first steps in evolution, as only the strongest and most fit sperm will fertilize the egg.
This is not an absolute; I think sometimes a tortoise or two wins.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:05 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,608,193 times
It is truly unfortunate that there are people who claim to have the love of Christ within them, yet they speak with such venom towards others that they pass judgment on.

Judge not, lest thee be judged.

I'll leave the judging to the one who has the job.

People regardless of their beliefs, are still just people, and people are mean creatures. I've worked with homosexuals that are far easier to work with than my Christian brethren. Actually people who claim to know Christ, are some of the meanest people I've known. We will know the true Christians by their fruit though.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,924,173 times
Love the sinner hate the sin is worse than just a copout. It is a meaningless mantra that some Christians repeat to avoid having to confront their own bigotry and hatred. This stupid mantra boils down to hating any homosexual that does not remain celibate for their entire 70+ year lifespan. Even a child would see through this absurd semantic game.

Would any Christian buy the same argument if someone said that they loved all Christians except the ones that go to church and read the Bible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality