Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 04:50 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Dear rifleman, I was not trying to prove the Bible is inerrant. That was not my intent. I was merely defending my position in the O.P. where someone wrote to me telling me my bible states the grasshopper only has four legs, that pi = 3 and that my bible says the bat is a bird. I was merely showing that in fact all three points are false.

Now your point above that a grasshopper walks ON all six is different than someone telling me the Bible says the locust has only four legs, wouldn't you say?

But thanks for your thoughts. While I hope you have not used some of the wrong meds today as you suggest, it is still quite possible. Have you checked to make sure? Maybe you should go to the hospital to make sure this is not the case? We want you around a long time since you add to the posts around here.
You have proven nothing here....It is obvious if you look at the video I posted that grasshoppers use all six legs when they walk, that bats are not fowl or birds, and I know of no insects with less than six legs or birds with more than two, while the bible refers to some as four legged flying things...What four legged creatures fly?....I have yet to see where the bible describes pi as 3.14159265.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 05:03 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Your Bible does say that a bat is a bird. Why don't you just deal with it instead of trying to defend the indefensible.
Dear Cosmicstargoat, this is what my Bible does say:

Lev 11:13-19 These you shall regard as abominable among the flyers; they shall not be eaten; they are an
abomination:the vulture, the bearded vulture and the eagle, (14) the black kite and the falcon, all of its
kind, (15) every raven, all of its kind, (16) the ostrich, the screech owl, the gull and the hawk, all of its
kind, (17) the little owl, the cormorant and the eagle owl, (18) the ibis, the pelican and the Egyptian
vulture, (19) the stork, the heron, all of its kind, the hoopoe and the bat.

It is the Concordant Literal Bible that is my bible. I do not see where it says a bat is a bird. Would you care to say you are mistaken about what my Bible says the bat is? Thanks and have a nice weekend.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You have proven nothing here....It is obvious if you look at the video I posted that grasshoppers use all six legs when they walk, that bats are not fowl or birds, and I know of no insects with less than six legs or birds with more than two, while the bible refers to some as four legged flying things...What four legged creatures fly?....I have yet to see where the bible describes pi as 3.14159265.
I also know of no birds with more than two legs. You asked "What four legged creatures fly? "A flying squirrel has four legs.

I too fail to see where the Bible describes pi as 3.14159265. I never said it did. Did I?

Old 07-14-2012, 05:13 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,455 times
Quote:
Dear Cosmicstargoat, this is what my Bible does say:

Lev 11:13-19 These you shall regard as abominable among the flyers; they shall not be eaten; they are an
abomination:the vulture, the bearded vulture and the eagle, (14) the black kite and the falcon, all of its
kind, (15) every raven, all of its kind, (16) the ostrich, the screech owl, the gull and the hawk, all of its
kind, (17) the little owl, the cormorant and the eagle owl, (18) the ibis, the pelican and the Egyptian
vulture, (19) the stork, the heron, all of its kind, the hoopoe and the bat.

It is the Concordant Literal Bible that is my bible. I do not see where it says a bat is a bird. Would you care to say you are mistaken about what my Bible says the bat is? Thanks and have a nice weekend.
Your wriggles do not fool anyone. You use that translation that was made out of necessity, to correct an error. I can clearly detect your eraser marks on your Big Chief Tablet. Every version I look at says bird or fowl. Are all of those Bibles WRONG?

Old 07-14-2012, 05:19 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Wink Golly Bullwinkel!! Who'da thought there was no god?

Acthully, Eusebius, buddy, I'll correct you here politely, since I only want the very best for your mind, and do indeed see peeks of growing understanding showing through these days!

Oh I know, I know, you can't tell us that, but after all, given a constant exposure to the truth of all things, some of your posts are hinting at the truth. Keep it up m'lad!! "Resistence is Futile, and Conversion equally Inevitable!"™ rflmn, 2012.

Back to our topic: "flying squirrels" do not, per se, unlike for example the mammalian bat family. Rocky The Flying Squirrel, surely one of my favorites, could only glide, and cannot, unless they catch some really gnarly uplifts, man, ever gain altitude. Therefore they cannot migrate by air, at least no without buying a ticket on American Airlines....

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/im...ZMGCkbUZ3ACGQw

Not this!:

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/im...SFV5VbC2EjeEeQ

He's just bravely falling!

Old 07-14-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Your wriggles do not fool anyone. You use that translation that was made out of necessity, to correct an error. I can clearly detect your eraser marks on your Big Chief Tablet. Every version I look at says bird or fowl.
Dear Cosmicstargoat, thanks for your thoughts. I would suggest that every translation is made out of necessity. Language changes and morphs over the years. English speaking people today do not speak the way English people did when the Authorized Bible was translated in 1611.

Quote:
Are all of those Bibles WRONG?
Yes, as to this verse, if they translated the Hebrew word as "bird" or "fowl", then, yes they are incorrect.

Blessings.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Acthully, Eusebius, buddy, I'll correct you here politely, since I only want the very best for your mind, and do indeed see peeks of growing understanding showing through these days!

Oh I know, I know, you can't tell us that, but after all, given a constant exposure to the truth of all things, some of your posts are hinting at the truth. Keep it up m'lad!! "Resistence is Futile, and Conversion equally Inevitable!"â„¢ rflmn, 2012.

Back to our topic: "flying squirrels" do not, per se, unlike for example the mammalian bat family. Rocky The Flying Squirrel, surely one of my favorites, could only glide, and cannot, unless they catch some really gnarly uplifts, man, ever gain altitude. Therefore they cannot migrate by air, at least no without buying a ticket on American Airlines....

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/im...ZMGCkbUZ3ACGQw

Not this!:

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/im...SFV5VbC2EjeEeQ

He's just bravely falling!
Dear rifleman, I'm not trying to nit-pick but . . . could you please re-write this so it is a complete sentence: ""flying squirrels" do not, per se, unlike for example the mammalian bat family."

I'm not sure what you are trying to say since it is missing a needed verb.

Does a ball fly out of the park if hit hard enough?

Does the man fly through the air
with the greatest of ease
The daring young man on the flying trapeze?

When the astronauts are out in space, do they fly at a speed of 17,000 mph? even if they are outside their ship working?

A flying squirrel is called a flying squirrel because, well, you know, it flies through the air. No one thinks it can lift off of the ground like a bird and fly to some place far away, unless of course that ground is at the edge of a cliff. But I was asked a question. And I answered it. If one does not like my answer they should ask the asker to define what they mean by "fly."

But thanks for your thoughts. I really do appreciate them.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:38 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,455 times
Quote:
Dear Cosmicstargoat, thanks for your thoughts. I would suggest that every translation is made out of necessity. Language changes and morphs over the years. English speaking people today do not speak the way English people did when the Authorized Bible was translated in 1611.

Yes, as to this verse, if they translated the Hebrew word as "bird" or "fowl", then, yes they are incorrect.

Blessings.
Therefore, The Bible is falsified. Please refer back to my message that you seemed to not understand, re: the Bible being held to a high standard. Thanks, and peace, and chicken grease.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:39 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
I also know of no birds with more than two legs. You asked "What four legged creatures fly? "A flying squirrel has four legs.

I too fail to see where the Bible describes pi as 3.14159265. I never said it did. Did I?
A squirrel does not fly and more than a flying snake does, neither can defeat gravity..There are no four legged creatures that fly that I know of.

You did claim that pi was mentioned in the bible, did you not?

Old 07-14-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Therefore, The Bible is falsified. Please refer back to my message that you seemed to not understand, re: the Bible being held to a high standard. Thanks, and peace, and chicken grease.
As to this verse, yes, you are correct that *some* translations have falsified what the original intent of the author was.

The Concordant Literal however did not falsify in this verse.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality