Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 06:15 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,638 times

Advertisements

I have asked this question numerous times of theists and have never received a satisfactory answer. The answers are either a reason why they need me to be saved (recruitment) or some sort of threat of consequences if I am not saved. Most are reticent to state the obvious, although a few rabid evangelicals are happy to send others to their fiery demise. Obviously, due to lack of evidence for this place, I'm no more worried about Hell than I am about being attacked by a Vampire when I walk out of my house.

So...why do I need to be "saved"?

Old 07-15-2012, 07:20 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,917 times
You do not. Do not worry about it and continue to do what you do.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:40 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,063,228 times
The basic mythos behind it is basically this:

1. people are not intrinsically good, they are intrinsically evil
2. A tyrant is justified if its mystical enough, powerful enough, and original enough
3. A world without such a tyrant doesn't seem or isn't fair or just
4. A Father is justified to abandon his children, I suppose especially if they are adults
5. Its good to have faith in faith because this grounds you, etc etc etc

What do you think?

Old 07-15-2012, 07:55 AM

267 posts, read 216,407 times
Well if you're not saved, the one who would save you from himself will punish you, for eternity. Well at least that is how I read it?

Old 07-15-2012, 08:07 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
It's a question I've often wondered myself, particularly since Christianity is the only world religion that assumes you are condemned -- though they are not the creators of hell. Actually, everything about Christianity is adopted from one or another religion, but they've developed into their own personal bent views.

Personally, I struggled with whether or not I believed in God until I finally came to understand that God most definitely exists, and is our constant companion. So constant, in fact, that like the air we don't perceive it. I know that God is greater than any understanding that we can conjure up about God, and no one person or ideology can contain God. I also know that God is our support through all circumstances, and does no harm. God also does not prevent harm being done to us.

Basically, I think those that ascribe to Christian beliefs are selling themselves and others short, spiritually. Still, I believe all souls eventually find their way to know God, and once they do -- as I have, nothing else matters, including the lack of understanding of others.

All paths lead to God, because there is no place where God is not.

Breath easy, Cosmic, you are in good hands. Be happy.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:32 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,551,860 times
Personally, I would rather be saved from religion and this "god", based on the alleged works of both.

But, since this "god" is a man-made concept, I don't really worry about it.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:36 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,081,340 times
Fear is not only a powerful primal emotion (ie the fight or flight response) But it is a great marketing tool as well.
Hell really did not come into vogue until the early middle ages (dark ages) when recruitment quotas were not being met by the established (catholic) church.
Hell is certainly non-existant, and I have no concern or worry about it. I live my life to the fullest, or at least try to, and I hope that you too do the same. Spreading happiness (utopian ideals) in this world with no regards for some non-existant punishment or reward in the afterlife is most rewarding for me.

Anyway, if you ask enough questions and seek enough answers, you too will understand that HELL is just a myth and a scare tactic that is as bald as Howie Mandell's head, and the existence in hell vanishes in a rambing proof of logic. (I'd give it to you but it would be more meaningful to you if you discovered it yourself, and you will if you have not already)

Old 07-15-2012, 08:51 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Personally, I would rather be saved from religion and this "god", based on the alleged works of both.

But, since this "god" is a man-made concept, I don't really worry about it.
This is the way I see it. I see that the only thing I need to be saved from is god and her followers.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:39 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,154,989 times
Quote:
It is beyond irony that the one who offers the "saving" is the one who created the "problem".
That's outstanding.

Quote:
You don't. You're already saved.

Leviticus 16:30 for on this day atonement is to be made for you to cleanse you from all your sins; you must be clean before Jesus Christ.

Each year, on the day of Yom Kippur, you are cleansed of all sin.

The first 28 chapters of Leviticus describe what the Christ must do -- the Christ of course is the High Priest, who is a masiach, an anointed one, a christ. The High Priest performs the ceremony. You don't even have to be there.

Ezekiel 18:20 The person who sins is the one who will die. A son will not suffer for his father’s iniquity, and a father will not suffer for his son’s iniquity; the righteous person will be judged according to his righteousness, and the wicked person according to his wickedness.

The word of god right there refutes the concept of "Original Sin." No person can be held to account for the "sins of the father" just as no person can be held to account for the sins of their children.

Thus, baptism is totally useless.

Romans 5:18 Consequently, just as condemnation for all people came through one transgression, so too through the one righteous act came righteousness leading to life for all people.

The infallible god contradicts his own words right there in Romans.

Exodus 31:1 Jesus spoke to Moses: 31:2 “See, I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, 31:3 and I have filled him with the Spirit of Jesus in skill, in understanding, in knowledge, and in all kinds of craftsmanship, 31:4 to make artistic designs for work with gold, with silver, and with bronze, 31:5 and with cutting and setting stone, and with cutting wood, to work in all kinds of craftsmanship.

That is proof you don't need to be baptized to receive the "Spirit of Jesus." You don't have to confess your sins either.

Bible study with me is really fun.

Biblically...

Mircea

Old 07-15-2012, 11:50 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,655,607 times
Quote:
I have asked this question numerous times of theists and have never received a satisfactory answer. The answers are either a reason why they need me to be saved (recruitment) or some sort of threat of consequences if I am not saved. Most are reticent to state the obvious, although a few rabid evangelicals are happy to send others to their fiery demise. Obviously, due to lack of evidence for this place, I'm no more worried about Hell than I am about being attacked by a Vampire when I walk out of my house.

So they can collect more money from you, to increase their treasury.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality