Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 09:33 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
From what I understand, even the scientific community has essentially given up on trying to break the speed of light barrier so I'm not sure how we'll ever get off this rock aside from "generational ships" or some such.
Alcubierre drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This Star-Trek-like warp drive concept has been taken up in recent years by a skunkworks project within Nasa. Many of the difficulties have been worked out, many have not, and a full solution is not Just Around the Corner. But I would not say it's been given up on, just not getting much funding.

I don't see generational ships as a bad solution. The upcoming TV miniseries Ascension is a fun what-if alternative history treatment of what would have happened if the late 1950s Orion project had not been shut down by the nuclear test-ban treaty in 1963, resulting in us having a generational ship already halfway to Proxima Centuari here in 2014.

I watched Interstellar this past weekend, though, which is a darker vision of the future, and without giving away anything, let's just say that at one point, traveling to another galaxy via wormhole quickly results in a to-the-death fistfight between two guys in space suits on a frozen planet -- two guys who are lauded on Earth as the best, brightest, and most heroic humans ever. At that point in the movie, I said, okay, if this happened to me, I'd conclude the human experiment an obvious failure and quit trying to save the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 10:08 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
I think the real question is how you are going to die that particular day ? This question is not about the end of the world but the end of your life on a particular day.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:21 AM

23,125 posts, read 10,426,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Playing Halo 3.

Playing Battlefield 3

Old 11-10-2014, 03:21 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I think the real question is how you are going to die that particular day ? This question is not about the end of the world but the end of your life on a particular day.
No, the OP's question is about what you would DO in the 24 hours BEFORE you die, if you knew the hour of your death.

You probably would like to make it about HOW one is going to die, in the sense of, serenely, confidently, and with equanimity, or screaming in terror. With or without regrets. Things like that. Which is a legitimate, but different question. Perhaps it deserves its own thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality