Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 01:31 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
you are a very literal person. I will continue to talk to you like you talk to me.

and try to stay on what the post meant. "... no ba jesus .." could have meant chocolate chip cookies and it didn't mean squat to the post.

The meaning of the post is that a statement of belief about god needs to be kept out of government. If we let them mix we get stupid things like not letting a high schooler say "thank god" because its an affront to some atheist. Usually ones that have hurt or scarred. people with PTSD are not the best evaluators of laws.
That last paragraph is better. Yes, formal religion should be kept out of government and schools. Usually that doesn't mean that personal statements -- in the appropriate situation -- can't be made. For example, our school (as outlined by the school system) allowed religious clubs under the following conditions: 1) they were clubs actually organized by students; 2) they had to abide by regular school rules; 3) no proselytizing; and 4) a teacher could not be actively involved in club, but a teacher had to be present to assure student safety, etc. The club in our school operated under those conditions, held a morning prayer at the flag pole, and had meetings after school twice a month (or more). There were no problems. In 33 years I was never in a school where students couldn't say something like "thank god".

And you need to stop thinking that based on a few anecdotes that various posters write about that you're qualified to decide who has PTSD. I've worked extensively, through counseling, with one person who has actual PTSD. And your version of slapping that diagnosis on people based on a few posts trivializes the term and the concept. All of us are shaped by things from our childhood, and all the way up through the last day that we are alive. All of us in our lives are hurt and scarred by some things, and uplifted by others. It's part of being human. You're not going to feel very comfortable if some of us start diagnosing you. You personalize everything, even when people tell you that they don't want to have a discussion with you, you follow them around and taunt them. I'm not going to be foolish enough to try to diagnose your issues based on your posts. But you need to spend some time in front of the mirror.

And by the way, if "... no ba jesus .." "didn't mean squat to the post", then leave it out. It only made it more confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 01:39 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That last paragraph is better. Yes, formal religion should be kept out of government and schools. Usually that doesn't mean that personal statements -- in the appropriate situation -- can't be made. For example, our school (as outlined by the school system) allowed religious clubs under the following conditions: 1) they were clubs actually organized by students; 2) they had to abide by regular school rules; 3) no proselytizing; and 4) a teacher could not be actively involved in club, but a teacher had to be present to assure student safety, etc. The club in our school operated under those conditions, held a morning prayer at the flag pole, and had meetings after school twice a month (or more). There were no problems. In 33 years I was never in a school where students couldn't say something like "thank god".

And you need to stop thinking that based on a few anecdotes that various posters write about that you're qualified to decide who has PTSD. I've worked extensively, through counseling, with one person who has actual PTSD. And your version of slapping that diagnosis on people based on a few posts trivializes the term and the concept. All of us are shaped by things from our childhood, and all the way up through the last day that we are alive. All of us in our lives are hurt and scarred by some things, and uplifted by others. It's part of being human. You're not going to feel very comfortable if some of us start diagnosing you. You personalize everything, even when people tell you that they don't want to have a discussion with you, you follow them around and taunt them. I'm not going to be foolish enough to try to diagnose your issues based on your posts. But you need to spend some time in front of the mirror.

And by the way, if "... no ba jesus .." "didn't mean squat to the post", then leave it out. It only made it more confusing.
Who appointed you arbiter of how we are supposed to post in this forum, phet?

Old 10-15-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Who appointed you arbiter of how we are supposed to post in this forum, phet?
No. My point is that no one is arbiter. But if Arach wants to have a discussion with me -- which he must since he keeps following me around -- then he's need to make having a discussion a bit more pleasant and meaningful. It your standards are lower, that's fine.

Old 10-15-2020, 01:56 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:

to funny phet. My main point is to apply the same rigor to ourselves as we do others.

to look at why we are triggered by the word god and to ask if that triggering can skew our perspectives.

the problem phet .... you don't run from me because I am wrong you run because I have a point. people are people and broken people have broken beliefs. weather they are god or anti-god doesn't make a difference. They are both broken.

faith based people need to be kept from law making. weather in anti-god mode or god mode.

Old 10-15-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
to funny phet. My main point is to apply the same rigor to ourselves as we do others.

to look at why we are triggered by the word god and to ask if that triggering can skew our perspectives.

the problem phet .... you don't run from me because I am wrong you run because I have a point. people are people and broken people have broken beliefs. weather they are god or anti-god doesn't make a difference. They are both broken.

faith based people need to be kept from law making. weather in anti-god mode or god mode.
Do you know the old saying? It takes one to know one.

Do you have a response about religion in school and business, or not? If not, I'll move along.

Old 10-15-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Do you know the old saying? It takes one to know one.

Do you have a response about religion in school and business, or not? If not, I'll move along.
exactly phet ... thats exactly what I say. The more I blame them the more I see its me. I live by it, you don't.

Well, it depends on the situation. I am not as anti-god as you.

so how would a person not tied to anti-god or god answer?

Keep them both out of law making.

Old 10-15-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
exactly phet ... thats exactly what I say. The more I blame them the more I see its me. I live by it, you don't.

Well, it depends on the situation. I am not as anti-god as you.

so how would a person not tied to anti-god or god answer?

Keep them both out of law making.
Nothing to discuss here, I guess.

Old 10-15-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Nothing to discuss here, I guess.
nope. rational people end with rational answers very quickly. That why cnn and fox don't involve themselves in reasonable solutions.

Old 10-15-2020, 05:59 PM

197 posts, read 86,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
People can respond to more than one position. So one can respond to bad arguments on a forum AND be against fundamentalism.

Should you really accuse others of pinhole thinking when it is a problem you suffer from?

That person is a theocrat. I am not surprised.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:51 PM

1,754 posts, read 754,475 times
I think many Christians want separation of Church and State.

Super-Christian Roger Williams founded Rhode Island with separation of church and state a fundamental tenant to promote peace, tolerance, and liberty.

https://www.history.com/topics/refor...s%20minorities.

Christian Quaker William Penn founded Pennsylvania with the total separation of church and state to promote virtues. Just as many Quakers preached against an organized hierarchy within a church, many argued against an organized hierarchy propped up by government as we were often persecuted by governments in the past.

https://uscivilliberties.org/biograp...-16441718.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality