Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 02:00 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,798,762 times

Advertisements

I'd like to hear from any followers of non-Christian religions who equally object to the separation of church and state as outlined in our Constitution's (the USA's) 1st amendment. Christians claim that such a wall was not intended, does not exist and that it stifles their freedom of religion (and their divine "right" to run the show, apparently).

Any American Hindus, Buddhists, Pagans, Muslims etc who feel as oppressed by the wall? (and Jews, despite the claims by Christians this country was founded on "Judeo-Christian" principles).

After all, your voices are already woefully under-represented in our schools, government and law. Not to mention the public square, cable TV, radio, internet etc..

Last edited by MrBlueSky_; 07-17-2012 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 02:12 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,601,964 times
Christ will set up His kingdom on this world, regardless of the weak man made laws that are so vehemently subscribed to these days.

As a Christian, take my car, take my house, take my money, take my "country",. . . Happiness isn't found in things of this world, Happiness is ONLY found in Christ who gave everything for you and me.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:16 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Christ will set up His kingdom on this world, regardless of the weak man made laws that are so vehemently subscribed to these days.

As a Christian, take my car, take my house, take my money, take my "country",. . . Happiness isn't found in things of this world, Happiness is ONLY found in Christ who gave everything for you and me.

Hmmm, I hear Fundamentalist Christians say things like that all the time, yet I bet there'd be some serious squaking if something like that actually came to pass. As it was Christians who took our horse, took our teepee (my people say kahni; tipi is a Lakota word), took our buffalo and took our land, that would be serious karma.

To the OP, certainly the separation of church and state should remain. We natives didn't fully regain our tribal religious freedoms until the passing of the American Indian Religious Freedom Act of 1978. The last thing we would want is a Christian theocracy (or any other theocracy for that matter) taking those freedoms away again.

Last edited by Fullback32; 07-17-2012 at 03:34 PM..

Old 07-17-2012, 02:42 PM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
I'd like to hear from any followers of non-Christian religions who equally object to the separation of church and state as outlined in our (the USA's) Constitution's 1st amendment. Christians claim that such a wall was not intended, does not exist and that it stifles their freedom of religion (and their divine "right" to run the show, obviously).

Any American Hindus, Buddhists, Pagans, Muslims etc who feel as oppressed by the wall? (and Jews, despite the claims by Christians this country was founded on "Judeo-Christian" principles).

After all, your voices are already woefully under-represented in our schools, government and law. Not to mention the public square, cable TV, radio, internet etc..
Quote:

I have 2 questions, jdaelectro. First, what does your answer have to do with the First Amendment? Second, which non-Christian religion do you represent?

Just to keep everybody on track, the First Amendment says: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:

As a Christian, take my car, take my house, take my money, take my "country",. . . Happiness isn't found in things of this world,
So, why are you sticking around.

I'm sure there are many needy families who could use your car, house and money.

Quote:
Happiness is ONLY found in Christ who gave everything for you and me.
Gave everything? Really? Allegedly, he was beaten and crucified like many thousands of others during his time, then went straight back to heaven to be with God/himself in eternal bliss.
Not a major sacrifice in my book. Certainly nowhere near the sacrifice that millions of soldiers have made defending the rights and freedoms of the citizens of this country.

Last edited by MrBlueSky_; 07-17-2012 at 03:05 PM..

Old 07-17-2012, 03:02 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,362,345 times
I send my kids to a private Orthodox Jewish day school (costs more than my home mortgage each month). So do what you want with the public schools. Doesn't effect me. And if I walk into the department of motor vehicle to re-register my car and there's a statue of Jesus to greet me when I walk in, how does that hurt me? And if you want to post the Chrstian version of the "10 Commandments" at the local court house, I'll just use it as an opportunity to teach my kids that the Chrstians perverted the Torah to suit their own needs. Church and state? Love it!

Old 07-17-2012, 03:10 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,655,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Hmmm, I hear Christians say things like that all the time, yet I bet there'd be some serious squaking if something like that actually came to pass. As it was Christians who took our horse, took our teepee (my people say kahni), took our buffalo and took our land, that would be serious karma.

The the OP, certainly the separation of church and state should remain. We natives didn't fully regain our tribal religious freedoms until the passing of the American Indian Religious Freedom Act of 1978. The last thing we would want is a Christian theocracy taking those freedoms away again.

As a member of the Tsalagi people, I have to agree with my Cheyenne brother, Fullback on his assessment of what we as native Americans went through because of Christianity, well said Brother. The first amendment of the constitution of the United States which establishes the separation of church and state is just as important to the Native Americans as it is the rest of the non Christians of this country. We suffered greatly because of Christianity and the so call great Christians that came and tried to "civilize" us, when in truth the only thing they wanted to do was to steal our land, kill our people and destroy our culture. They have not succeeded in completely doing that but given the chance, I'm sure they would. That is why that particular section of your constitution is very important to us, it keeps the Christians at bay.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I send my kids to a private Orthodox Jewish day school (costs more than my home mortgage each month).
And you can do so in large part due to separation of church and state..

Quote:
So do what you want with the public schools. Doesn't effect me. And if I walk into the department of motor vehicle to re-register my car and there's a statue of Jesus to greet me when I walk in, how does that hurt me?
And what if you walked in and found that Jews and other non-Christians had to pay twice the usual registration fee, or that statue was holding a sign that said "No Jews Allowed" or you had to swear and sign an oath affirming your devotion to The Lord Jesus Christ before you could get your license? What if your wife was prohibited by law from getting a license due to a Muslim majority legislating their religious dogma?

Quote:
Church and state? Love it!
I seriously doubt you would have loved it a few short centuries ago, before secular law booted Christianity off of its throne and took away its sword and crown. Jews didn't have it so good in Christian Europe.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:25 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Christians claim that such a wall was not intended, does not exist and that it stifles their freedom of religion (and their divine "right" to run the show, apparently).
Generalize much?

What Christians do you speak of? All of them? Baptists? Coptic? Catholics?

Old 07-17-2012, 03:41 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,612 times
Quote:
So do what you want with the public schools. Doesn't effect me.
You and your kids got yours, so screw the rest of us, right? That's some great citizenship right there.
Also, I'd posit that it actually would affect you if, to just throw an example out there, a religion with strong anti-semitic sentiment became the ones who were determining what was taught in public schools, the laws being passed, etc.

Quote:
And if I walk into the department of motor vehicle to re-register my car and there's a statue of Jesus to greet me when I walk in, how does that hurt me? And if you want to post the Chrstian version of the "10 Commandments" at the local court house, I'll just use it as an opportunity to teach my kids that the Chrstians perverted the Torah to suit their own needs. Church and state? Love it!
And then you are overheard saying that by the new Inquisition and sent to a "farm upstate". CHURCH AND STATE, WHOOOO!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality