Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 02:42 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,158 times

Advertisements

Goot (as we say in Comanche Country) article and true.

When Christians are their own worst enemies - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 03:22 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
There is no attack on Christians from the theater shooting , just some loony in some Helter Skelter type sense-less attack on innocent people, which is just like the senseless killings from Manson ..... who had no motive apart of the influence of Culture.........So these outspoken Christians who blame attack on Christians is out of line ...... Sure the demonic influence is there as this killer did not resist the corruption of dis-respect for life , and went ahead and had a gross error which the legal system will judge...

Old 07-24-2012, 04:14 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Goot (as we say in Comanche Country) article and true.

When Christians are their own worst enemies - CNN.com

When I read something like this I am often reminded of the words of Sogoyewapha ( Red Jacket):

Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you Christians differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the same Book...

Old 07-24-2012, 04:31 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
I agree with everything in the article and that Christians are definitely their own worst enemy..Those who pour out their hate and bigotry in the name of God are the ones who cause some of us to no longer carry that label that is supposed to define us as all in one accord following the Son to the Father..

Old 07-25-2012, 08:37 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
There is no attack on Christians from the theater shooting , just some loony in some Helter Skelter type sense-less attack on innocent people, which is just like the senseless killings from Manson ..... who had no motive apart of the influence of Culture.........So these outspoken Christians who blame attack on Christians is out of line ...... Sure the demonic influence is there as this killer did not resist the corruption of dis-respect for life , and went ahead and had a gross error which the legal system will judge...
hljc...the article was not saying that there was an attack on Christians from the Aurora shootings. The point was that many Christians, particularly those of a certain sect, have a tendency to blame disasters both natural and man-made on a perceived "attack on Christianity."

In the case of the Aurora shootings, Evanglical pastor Jerry Newcombe of the group Truth in Action stated, "..the Colorado shooting happened because Americans have lost their fear of Hell." Commenting on those shot he said, "If a person doesn’t know Jesus... they are going to a terrible place."

This is, of course, nonsense. THere are many people who don't believe in hell or even God for that matter, yet they are not shooting up theaters or doing anything else of the sort. Also, where is the compassion for those who were shot and their families? This "representative of Christ" found it better to announce that those shot who "didn't know Jesus" were going to hell.

Good judgement, timing, compassion, love? None of the above. These people simply have none of those characteristics and the only people they are fooling is themselves. Actions always speak louder than words. They can speak all day of love, yet their actions show that there is none in their hearts. It is because of people like Mr Newcombe, Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Jimmy Swaggart, Tom Hagee, Ted Haggard etc, etc, etc (not to mention many of the rank and file Fundamentalist/Evangelicals) that so many people are turned off of Christianity. And that isn't even going into non-sensical things like their blaming things like the Haiti earthquake on "pacts with the devil" all the while ignoring that Haiti is sitting on two seismic fault lines.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:20 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
There is no attack on Christians from the theater shooting , just some loony in some Helter Skelter type sense-less attack on innocent people, which is just like the senseless killings from Manson ..... who had no motive apart of the influence of Culture.........So these outspoken Christians who blame attack on Christians is out of line ...... Sure the demonic influence is there as this killer did not resist the corruption of dis-respect for life, and went ahead and had a gross error which the legal system will judge...
Your utter disrespect is for the suffering here. You are one of the most persistent in reading God and Christ into literally everything that parades across the wide screen of life on this planet. You make a particularly bitter soup even when there is nothing to make it with, attributing God's vengeful and ugly hand to literally everything. And thus you "politicize" (in a Christly way) everything you read and see. You must live an odd life, perhaps cloistered in an old church or perhaps in a darkened cave?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
hljc...the article was not saying that there was an attack on Christians from the Aurora shootings. The point was that many Christians, particularly those of a certain sect, have a tendency to blame disasters both natural and man-made on a perceived "attack on Christianity."

Good judgement, timing, compassion, love? None of the above. These people simply have none of those characteristics and the only people they are fooling is themselves. Actions always speak louder than words. They can speak all day of love, yet their actions show that there is none in their hearts. It is because of people like Mr Newcombe, Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Jimmy Swaggart, Tom Hagee, Ted Haggard etc, etc, etc (not to mention many of the rank and file Fundamentalist/Evangelicals) that so many people are turned off of Christianity. And that isn't even going into non-sensical things like their blaming things like the Haiti earthquake on "pacts with the devil" all the while ignoring that Haiti is sitting on two seismic fault lines.
Sadly, Fullback, it's more and more apparent to the majority that fundamentalist Evangelicals simply cannot discern real life and man's essential free will from some Godly participation. From claiming He was simply calling to His side those truly innocent but naive lives in Aurora ( 6 year old Veronica for instance..), to claiming the devil's hand in the shooter's mind and hand.

Fact is, for certain there's no God, no divine intervention, no vengeful or loving participation shown here. Just the inevitable outlier Rat who simply could not stand it in the maze he'd created in his on mind and thus he struck out at his fellow man whom he blames for his loathsome life.

To go through life with a mandatory reading of God's participation (or if it didn't go so well; Satan's... <sigh>) into every tiny thing, whether your cat has extra fleas to whether your lawn needs to be mowed but the mower won't start, to the hand of God in your car's battery going dead. Or worse; that your prayers to win the Lottery did not pan out... again! What tiresome drivel. Get a life, guys! Accept the inevitability of all that happens to us; grow up and accept that.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:51 AM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I agree with everything in the article and that Christians are definitely their own worst enemy..Those who pour out their hate and bigotry in the name of God are the ones who cause some of us to no longer carry that label that is supposed to define us as all in one accord following the Son to the Father..
Amen. It is easy to see how Christ could say "Depart from me . . . I never knew you." Fortunately for even them . . . God's love is greater and will sear their consciences with the truth eventually.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:43 PM

7,594 posts, read 6,085,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Fact is, for certain there's no God, no divine intervention, no vengeful or loving participation shown here. Just the inevitable outlier Rat who simply could not stand it in the maze he'd created in his on mind and thus he struck out at his fellow man whom he blames for his loathsome life.

To go through life with a mandatory reading of God's participation (or if it didn't go so well; Satan's... <sigh>) into every tiny thing, whether your cat has extra fleas to whether your lawn needs to be mowed but the mower won't start, to the hand of God in your car's battery going dead. Or worse; that your prayers to win the Lottery did not pan out... again! What tiresome drivel. Get a life, guys! Accept the inevitability of all that happens to us; grow up and accept that.
I second that one

Why do we feel the need to place blame or credit on some imaginary friend? Are we raised to be so insecure and to have such self doubt that we have to thank diety-of-choice for the lawnmower starting? or curse the guy with the horns for making the grass grow too quickly?

I bought a lottery ticket for tonite's drawing. If I win, I will be the same $&@^ tomorrow, only 121 million dollars richer, nothing else about my worldview will change. It will not be because some guy in the sky blessed me or some guy in the ground traded money for my soul......
If I did not win, it is not due to the will or doing of some imaginary friend either.....it is due to the mathmatical probablilty of winning the aforementioned 121 million......by buying a ticket, my chances of winning are only a hundred millionth better than if I had not purchased the ticket.
Gawd has nothing to do with it.

As for any psycho that takes innocent lives, well, I am saddened by it, and not shocked though, I have noticed a trend in patients who have little to no self esteem, most are of a religious upbringing (ownder if there are stats on that?) And the antisocial personality type exhibited by the aurora shooter remains one of the most perverse and difficult to treat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality