Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:43 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times

Advertisements

My responses, politely, in blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post

√ Why are Christians considered haters for the worldview we possess?

Because you do not generally and simply post them for others to read and consider only if they are interested. Huge billboards, radio shows, snarky bumper stickers, invasive door-to-door visits on my private property and on my private time. Not to mention incendiary threads right here!

And, for me at least, the most insidious ploy; that So Much Holier Than Thou!! look down the nose I get from them as they "politely" smirk at you, esp. when they are surrounding you with a few (3 - 5) of their also self-aggrandizing friends.

We live in a world where diversity of thought and belief has existed for more than a millennium. People who profess to follow the teachings of Jesus have a worldview not held by people who follow Allah, Hindu gods, paganism. Everyone has different values and beliefs, even in marriage a husband and wife are not going to be in agreement on all things spiritual due to different life experiences.

So again, why is it that, esp. on shows like Pat Robertson's or Haggee's blitherations, or the once great but teary-eyed Jimmy Swaggert Show ("Puh-Leeze send money so I and my wife can pay back the IRS all the money we scammed from you and them...<sobbbbb>), we are beseiged by insults about "those misbegotten and misguided sons of Satan, the atheists!"

√ Why is it difficult for people to accept that people who follow the teachings of Jesus (known as Christians) have a valid and valued point of view on a topic such as same-sex attraction or equality in marriage?

No-one denies you having an alternate view, but then why on earth do you deny us having ours, especially when it's completely backed now with thoroughly modern and irrefutable scientific research? Or in the case of same-sex marriage, why bother these dedicated folks, those with their own strongly-held personal beliefs, coupled with true and demonstrable love for their mates?

All just because Christians don't appreciate or honor those beliefs? This is a very different world than it was 2000 - 4000 years ago, Dad! We now have proven-accurate and advanced knowledge and communications, Dad, not "torch and pitchfork carrying mobs" to decide the outcome of social events. Why do you go for the throat when such stuff is innocently presented in, for example, the publicly tax-funded high school science curriculum?

And why do churches often claim that HIV and AIDs are solely the result of Evil™ behavior when so many get it via bad blood tranfusions and re-used old needles {out of necessity} in 3rd world hospitals, since we as a species and social assembly won't properly fund good medical practices? It seems Christians WANT AIDs to dominate those people and countries to get rid of them so that the Church can again try world domination. Just a thought, but supportable.

Why the placards and noisy marching bleetists outside the local school board offices? Why don't you people come and counter the irksome and filthy-mouthed Wesboro Baptist urchins when they come to denigrate the funeral of a loved warrior son?

Personally, I'm sad there isn't still a law such as they used to have on the books in Texas (honest!), that "you'cn kill a man if'n he needs killin"! Now, in the case of the vicuosly incendiary and infuriating and disrespectful (but, I do note, Christian...) Wesboro Baptist Scumbags, this might just be the prime sitch & solution for that one, don't you agree? Many of those interviewed in the streets after this tribe of ugly social miscreants have done "their thing" often make that very same suggestion...

√ Whether on a forum, a blog, in the media or even in real life Christians are portrayed as a hateful group of people simply because they are not in agreement on these issues.

Not so. Simply leave the uninterested world out of your daily planned activities, and we won't bother you. It's only when you try to manifest that biblical passage that you shalt go forth and proselytize to the heathen unbelievers that we get a bit [understandably...] heated under the intellectual collar. Like it's your God-mandated duty to spout'n'spew to us. Stop!

√ When Christians have a differing opinion on these topics we are called out as bigots, haters and even profane names. Living in a society that demands free speech, ours is being called into question and even squelched because it's different and not popular.

Nope. No-one ever prevents an honest discussion of alternate viewpoints. Sadly, as is SO EASILY demo'd right here on C-D, Christian denialist/apologists don't and won't conduct themselves properly in any honest debating forum. You know, such as would be mandated by an open & impartially adjudicated debating condition held under Robert's Rules of Conduct You make an opening statement, I respond, and then ask you a valid, polite and relevant question. You respond, on topic, and so on. Back and forth, No vituperative nonsense, no ad hominems.

Instead, when I ask such a question, it's blatantly ignored, and you guys go for the usual, predictable ad hominems. And why is that? Well because, sadly, that's all you've got now in your unchanging but disproven bag of tricks. After all, I have not heard nor seen anything new. Have you?

While I cannot speak for every follower of Jesus, we do not hate people who do not believe as we do. We may not accept a way of living because it goes against what we believe, but we do not hate.

Not what I read so very often, about how atheists are the least trusted and most openly despised group in America. Not so in the rest of the world (well, except with those murderously intent fundamentalist Muslim types... but that's another thread!).

As well, atheists are the subject of so much endless hate-speak right here in C-D ("Satan's minions", "destroyers of the family and society", "purveyors of Satan's mis-information!" [about teaching the fact of Evolution in school for example...], and so on. Frequently and with serious intent. So you think we should just not respond to that sort of aggression?

√ When we talk about our beliefs and evangelize we are sharing something amazing in our life and want others to hear about it.
Nice, but by now, perhaps you should realize that "others" do NOT want to hear about it. CVan you not see the reactions in their eyes, almost like you telling them you have a particularly air-borne contagious disease that wis incurable? They sort of slowly back away and try to move on to some other people at the garden party... Am I right? You betcha!

If they do really want to "find Christ", they will find their own way to your church. Don't try to herd them/us in there; it WILL backfire!

Btw, the stories of what churches do when someone perhaps questions some specific line-item within the particular faith therein are legion. Ostracization and social segregation, esp. in small towns, and loss of what you used to call your "friends" but whom were never that in truth, bust rather they were just soldiers for Christ.

Hmmm.

{btw: I've just gone back and re-read my post here. No ad hominems directed at you, just statements of fact as I see them. I, and so many others here, are just so tried of the endless proselytizing, the idiotic claims that fly right straight into the face of pure and simple {and re-producible with easy experiments} logic.

You know, that "Evolution has not one iota of evidence for it", and that "the existence of the universe is proof of it's recent formation" (???), and than "all fossils are of recent origin, despite what all those obviously errant dating techniques tell us!", esp. since they are all suddenly inaccurate but only when Christian denialists want them to be.."and the dinos co-existed with man!" (Q: where are they now then?), and "the geologic column is all nonsense!" or is "rigged by dishonest geologists, all of them!".

And so on. Ad infinitum. And yet, to answer your OP here, you guys expect us to keep a kind, cool demeanor with such utter nonsense being flung about like so much partially decomposed horse pucky?

OK: here's my honest and polite response question Dad: will you..

Engage me is a simple honest and open debate about let's limit it to 2 questions about the world and universe as I see it? Will you absolutely answer my questions after I've answered yours? Will you provide honest Yes or No responses when that is the format of the question? [PS: Can we keep the penny arcade peanut gallery posters out of the discussion for this one alone?]

Will you accept the decision of, let's say, the mod(s) here as to who won the debate?

Yes or No?

Last edited by rifleman; 07-27-2012 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 04:20 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
See there is a dark spirit who is called the false prophet, and it is an authority of a fallen angels which is out of God honor and authority.... And these spirit work with demons who manipulate men to believe a fanciful tails the are not truth and undermine the truth Of the living God Lord Jesus Christ an and build error that is contrary to the truth of Christ...... So one ideas is Christians are called to`` love everyone in the earth and hate the sin of all men `.... Were the false prophet say the man and his desire are part of his fabric and both are equal as naturalism dictates ... Were Christians sees the sin that Jesus sees and Jesus is the redeemer of sin and will remove demons who manipulate sin in man ....... .. So the people of the false prophet reject Christian ideas and call them haters and bigots

Old 07-27-2012, 08:31 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I'm pretty positive you've never bothered to study their original meaning in context, and your view is based solely on tradition or what you've been taught.
You are quite wrong in your assumption that I haven't bothered to study the original meaning in context. I spent four years in college majoring in theology so I am quite informed on more than tradition. I was taught to think for myself and make my own conclusions based on the text.

I'm sorry you feel as though there are passages in the Bible that people use to "clobber" others over the head with. While I will reference the Bible in posts or in real life, it's not my job to clobber anyone.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:09 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default Unrelated blather injected for no good reason.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
See there is a dark spirit who is called the false prophet, and it is an authority of a fallen angels which is out of God honor and authority.... And these spirit work with demons who manipulate men to believe a fanciful tails the are not truth and undermine the truth Of the living God Lord Jesus Christ an and build error that is contrary to the truth of Christ...... So one ideas is Christians are called to`` love everyone in the earth and hate the sin of all men `.... Were the false prophet say the man and his desire are part of his fabric and both are equal as naturalism dictates ... Were Christians sees the sin that Jesus sees and Jesus is the redeemer of sin and will remove demons who manipulate sin in man ....... .. So the people of the false prophet reject Christian ideas and call them haters and bigots

This of course is based on the invalid assumption that there is a God. That we should all be terrified of some prophesied arrival of a great future retribution. The tiresome instillation of ancient faith through fear and trembling. Now officially out of date and out of touch.

Since there so obviously and demonstrably is not such an all-encompassing entity... I conclude thusly...

.................................................. ...........................

Old 07-27-2012, 11:02 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Why are Christians considered Haters for their worldview?

If one pays just a little attention to the words and deeds of christian the answer is obvious.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:30 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet Bravo View Post
I have no problem with you looking at the world through the lense of your religion, and I don't care if you find things that I have no problem with as reprehensible and terrible sins. What I do take issue with is when your religion begins to have a negative effect on people who want nothing to do with it.
If we have an opinion...are we not allowed to express it?

Some say no. Those folk need to look in the mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
This of course is based on the invalid assumption that there is a God.

.................................................. ...........................
Oh arrogant one. Have you proof?

And Rifleman has left the room..........

Old 07-28-2012, 12:19 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
Because they try to force their belief on others and when people don't comply they damn them to hell

Old 07-28-2012, 01:53 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Because they try to force their belief on others and when people don't comply they damn them to hell
Nobody can damn anyone to hell except God. Not all apples in an apple tree are good. Don't judge an apple tree by a few bad apples.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:29 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
If we have an opinion...are we not allowed to express it?

Some say no. Those folk need to look in the mirror.
We all have opinions, and we all get the right to express them, even if they aren't always well received.

So, as long as expressing your opinion doesn't include attempting to force others to live by them or otherwise create a negative effect in your neighbors' lives, knock yourself out. If it does include those things, you're doing it wrong.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:45 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,601,679 times
Christ said the world would hate us for following Him. It is unfortunate that the majority of non Christians are deceived into thinking the haters who claim to know Christ, are true Christians.

Christ commanded us to love everyone. How could anyone think that someone who hates someone is a follower of Christ? Sure the world loves to twist scripture into something it isn't, but this is only a reflection of their own battles within.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality