Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:17 AM

679 posts, read 1,439,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Faith is belief in, and submission to, truth that you cannot "see".
Yes, that's the way it works according to this explanation by Sam Harris:

How to Believe in God
Six Easy Steps

1. First, you must want to believe in God.
2. Next, understand that believing in God in the absence of evidence is especially noble.
3. Then, realize that the human ability to believe in God in the absence of evidence might itself constitute evidence for the existence of God.
4. Now consider any need for further evidence (both in yourself and in others) to be a form of temptation, spiritually unhealthy, or a corruption of the intellect.
5. Refer to steps 2-4 as acts of “faith.”
6. Return to 2.

As should be clear, this is a kind of perpetual motion machine of wishful thinking—and it leads, of necessity, to reduced self-awareness and diminished contact with reality. But it is reputed to have many benefits, and once you get it up and running you will be in fine company. In fact, from the looks of it, you will never be lonely again.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 08:25 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
How to Believe in God
Six Easy Steps

1. First, you must want to believe in God.
2. Next, understand that believing in God in the absence of evidence is especially noble.
3. Then, realize that the human ability to believe in God in the absence of evidence might itself constitute evidence for the existence of God.
4. Now consider any need for further evidence (both in yourself and in others) to be a form of temptation, spiritually unhealthy, or a corruption of the intellect.
5. Refer to steps 2-4 as acts of “faith.”
6. Return to 2.

Enjoy!
LOL!

I believe in God because of evidence.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:31 AM

Right, I forgot, "evidence":

1) The bible is the inerrant word of god and it speaks of god who gave you the bible.
2) God created everything and the existence of the world around us is "evidence" that he did.
3) You just know

Did I leave out anything?

Old 10-04-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
Did I leave out anything?
I left some thoughts earlier in this thread about why I believe God and the Bible. Magnum Mike also left some thots which I agree with. Rather than repeat myself, if you care to you can read these over again and I'll be glad to answer any questions.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:46 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,522,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Have you ever felt God's presence in your life?
No.
Quote:
Have you been in a spiritual struggle where forces of evil and forces of good are vying for your soul?
(LOL) No.
Quote:
Have you given your all to the Lord,
Sounds like some medieval totalitarian dictate.
Quote:
and had overwhelming peace and joy flow into your heart, totally "calming the storm", and resulting in a new walk with a completely changed heart, and new outlook on life?
My life is fine, thank you. Always has been. Always will be.
Quote:
If not, how can you say "unsupported assumption"?
*scratches head*

Uh...because you cannot support any of your assertions with objective evidence?

Old 10-04-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I left some thoughts earlier in this thread about why I believe God and the Bible. Magnum Mike also left some thots which I agree with. Rather than repeat myself, if you care to you can read these over again and I'll be glad to answer any questions.
Yes I've read them. By those posts it seems I didn't leave anything out, nor did Mr. Harris.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Have you ever felt God's presence in your life? Have you been in a spiritual struggle where forces of evil and forces of good are vying for your soul? Have you given your all to the Lord, and had overwhelming peace and joy flow into your heart, totally "calming the storm", and resulting in a new walk with a completely changed heart, and new outlook on life? If not, how can you say "unsupported assumption"?
Well, I have experienced this, and my life was changed "from darkness to light." My heart was changed. My outlook and desires were not the same. No matter what you may say, it was real... and it still is. You may not call this evidence, but I can testify, and many other Christians can, that the power of God in changing someone's life, being "born again", many times is miraculous and evidence of something not of ourselves. Nvx, since you said that you hadn't experienced this, I agree that it would be hard for you to understand.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:14 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,454,679 times
Quote:
Well, I have experienced this, and my life was changed "from darkness to light." My heart was changed. My outlook and desires were not the same. No matter what you may say, it was real... and it still is. You may not call this evidence, but I can testify, and many other Christians can, that the power of God in changing someone's life, being "born again", many times is miraculous and evidence of something not of ourselves. Nvx, since you said that you hadn't experienced this, I agree that it would be hard for you to understand.
cg81, I'm not going to try and belittle what you think was an experience with god, but people who believe monsters are after them have the same kind of feeling that you describe only with one of terror. So, it only makes me wonder that if the same people who "feel" this god coursing through their veins have the same problems as those who fear and feel a monster why aren't we committing the people who feel good to insane asylums? Or treating them for schizophrenia? It's a delusional state of mind. I find it comical that in this country god can talk to people all the time and that is fine, in and of itself. God's leading you to do this and that and the other thing. Yet, the second god turns himself into a light socket and says to murder your family we commit the person. What's amusing to me is that this does not sound much different than the God of the Old Testament. Particularly Abraham.

So again, we can "feel" god all day long. We can know him, talk to him, and love him, yet the minute god turns into a monster, a devil, or just apparently has a bad mood and wants you to kill someone, than god is no longer talking to you, you are now labeled schizophrenic. Am I making sense yet? Why is one delusion more acceptable than the other delusion? Shouldn't we all be trying to find help for these people?

Old 10-04-2007, 11:16 AM

Yes, well that's all a lengthy expansion on Harris' #3 and my #3, cg81:

3) You just know

Old 10-04-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I find it comical that in this country god can talk to people all the time and that is fine, in and of itself. God's leading you to do this and that and the other thing. Yet, the second god turns himself into a light socket and says to murder your family we commit the person.
You don't even need the murder aspect. As Harris has said numerous times, the idea of our President talking to god or hearing god talk to him is perfectly normal, but if he said he needs a hairdryer for the communication then he'd be seen as nuts. Why is a hairdryer necessary before people question his sanity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality