Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 05:30 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Even the Bible God is not Christ-like, considering the genocide he ordered, along with the rape of virgins, infanticide, and the killing of innocent people who simply disagreed with him. The NT Jesus would not approve of these acts.
Well said- why we include a bunch of history of poorly behaved individuals and tribes ...like in the old testament...things go bad...The Bible in it's two volumes is a strange thing...everyone assumes that it should be called the good book...it contains a lot of evil that some use as justification for war and mayhem..

For instance the idolization of King David - who was such a manipulative weasel that when he lusted for another man's wife (Bathsheba) He ordered his men to take the lawful husband to a battle and make sure he did not come back- in other words - David indirectly murders someone in order to have sex with someone elses wife- Why would you make some chump like this a legendary hero?

Jesus Christ is about the only note worthy character to be acknowledged in the bible- two things- Jesus and his dad God...other than that - the rest is all filler....the wise sayings section is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 12:49 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
I am having a dark night of the soul per se. As I struggle with Christianity, it is impossible to ignore what alot of Christians are doing.. There is alot of visceral hate I see spread daily on tv, on the internet, on the radio and it makes no sense.Aren't Christians suppose to be loving,nice,peaceful people? I keep running into power hungry,racist,homophobic,sexist,war/gun loving,greedy,islamophobic, ethnocentrism and the list goes on. I hardly ever see about those who want to help the less fortune,or those who want equal rights for everyone, or welcoming those who are down and out. Well I have only been on this earth for a small amount of time, but has it always been this way? Maybe it has, and I'm just finally waking up? How can I choose this religion when its filled with such contradiction
I think Ghandi said it best (though he may not actually have said it):

'I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

Hate and violence are not supposed to be the 'Christian way'. It's not what Jesus taught, it's not what his disciples taught, and it's not what Christianity in general teaches. It all comes down to your moral compass: do you feel that this path encourages you to be a better person, without sacrificing your happiness?

May whatever god you believe in bring you peace and guide you on your journey.

FNB.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:57 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:
I am having a dark night of the soul per se. As I struggle with Christianity, it is impossible to ignore what alot of Christians are doing.. There is alot of visceral hate I see spread daily on tv, on the internet, on the radio and it makes no sense.Aren't Christians suppose to be loving,nice,peaceful people? I keep running into power hungry,racist,homophobic,sexist,war/gun loving,greedy,islamophobic, ethnocentrism and the list goes on. I hardly ever see about those who want to help the less fortune,or those who want equal rights for everyone, or welcoming those who are down and out. Well I have only been on this earth for a small amount of time, but has it always been this way? Maybe it has, and I'm just finally waking up? How can I choose this religion when its filled with such contradiction
This made me laugh. early Christians were thrown to the lions because they were loving, nice, peaceful people? I don't think so. Only CRIMINALS were thrown to the lions. Christianity was never singled out as illegal in the Roman empire, "atheism" was, (atheism was their buzz word for heresy, and Christianity's various early denominations fit the atheist/heretical/blasphemous label). You think that (though Psychopathic) Emperor Nero just dreamed up that Christians were terrorists/zealots and were likely responsible for the Fire of Rome ...and if not on purpose then... as a punishment from the gods for allowing Christian Blasphemy? Ever heard of Peter the Reader? Liberal Christians aren't loving/nice/peaceful because they are Christian... Struggle with Christianity all you want, all you have to do is label the conservative Christians "not real Christians" and your conscious will likely be eased. The truth is however that Jesus never said "don't be the bold"... so you won't convince them to be LIBERAL like you by pretending Jesus wants them to be. What do you want from Christianity? Isn't the ease of mind caused by faith in such a meme good enough for you... isn't ease of mind all you've ever searched for. Even Liberal Christians believe in a God given after-life and after-judgement... why should anything in the present time concern you? Why should evil and wrong-doing concern any Christian... God's plan is perfect? no? So Let God sort it out.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:20 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
I tried talking to a friend about Christ and he said as vehemently as he could: "Churches are just filled with hypocrites!"
And I immediately replied: At least they know where to go to get help. (true story)

Old 08-11-2012, 05:32 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste
Mother Theresa is a prime example of what you wrote above. Mother Waddles of Detroit also helps no one. Her "christian" organization collects cars and sells them just to pay for her lavish lifestyle living in a run down mobile home. Here is a little biographical sketch of Mother Waddles Charleszetta "Mother" Waddles Biography - Mission, Detroit, People, and Told - JRank Articles

Mother Theresa was probably a terrorist helping Al Queda if what you are saying is correct.

Here https://www.christianservicecharitie...ties/home.aspx is a list of charities run by Christians to help the poor. They are probably all terrorist organizations if you are correct. Yea, Christians are all just a bunch of evil people. I never met a nice one in my entire life, even when I look myself in the mirror. Evil as evil can be the whole lot of them. Sure, yea, uhhuh.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:02 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I tried talking to a friend about Christ and he said as vehemently as he could: "Churches are just filled with hypocrites!"
And I immediately replied: At least they know where to go to get help. (true story)
Haven't heard that "true story" before... as a facebook post to say the least!

*****-houses are just filled with bitchy women! at least they know where to go to get help.
Crack-houses are just filled with schizophrenics...
play-houses are just filled with loud children...
Wall-street is just filled with heartless businessmen...

hypocrites aren't helped by Churches.
I'm afraid those people you are seeing at churches aren't hypocrites, they believe in what they do and often say it.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:12 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Even us Chik-Fil-A-eating, politically conservative Christians do these things. Shocking, isn't it?
Not at all. Why would you say that?

The point, which you seem to (deliberately) miss, is that the OP is discouraged looking at all the Christians and not seeing Christ. I merely pointed to places she could find that. And if you noticed, I did indeed mention that they are not perfect.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
All Christians are "works in progress" - none of us is perfect in this life.
Oops, should have read ahead! I know for sure I'm not!

Our church service starts every week with the prayer "Oh God, to whom all hearts are known and from whom no secrets are hid..." It's always a great reminder to drop any affectations and pretenses, because we aren't fooling HIM!

Old 08-11-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What about all the good that Christ spawned? Many of our greatest universities were started in the name of Christ. Hospitals, the same.
Great artwork, architecture, music, writing, but even more so, how many people were inspired by Christ to change their lives and the lives of others for the better, to put themselves and their needs aside to do things big or small for the good of others? It's a little tiresome and getting really old to hear the yulk yulk yulk look at the Inquisition, the witch trials, all the terrible things that people hid behind religion to carry out and the pretense that there no counterbalance with the positive things people have done in the name of Christianity. It's also an easy cheesy argument to make to point out negative acts done en masse rather than look at individual acts of courage and love--such as the Christians who hid Jews during WWII and went before a firing squad rather than reveal their whereabouts, or the Christians today who go into war zones to protect the innocent victims and to fight injustice non-violently. It is in those individual acts--someone deciding to put himself or herself--and often his or her very life--second to what is right and best for others--that we find true Christianity.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Guess I should stay out of church too because they aren't there either . I'll try this shelters and soup kitchens
There are in my church, but it took me a couple of tries to find it. Mine is a very small church, with the weekly attendance being anywhere from 15 on a low day up to maybe 35 on a busy Sunday. The parish is very close, and most people have endured some kind of suffering--several have lost jobs, at least one is in foreclosure, there is illness and loss and despair and also love and hope and support. We can't afford a full-time priest (we're Episcopalian) but we have a retired part-time priest who is a marvelous bible scholar and serves for a small housing allowance.

Before this church, I attended another church up the street, and for months I came home so discouraged and alone on Sundays that I finally said, "I'm going to try that little stone church on XYZ street, and if that doesn't work out, I quit." Well, the the little stone church turned out to be the place where I was supposed to be. Amazingly, despite how little the people in this church have, they are generous with their time and money, because nearby we have people who have far less than do any of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality