Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 01:01 PM

52 posts, read 165,553 times

Advertisements

WOW!! I guess there is a lot I don't understand about the Mormons! Bigotry on any level is unacceptable, but by ones own religious group is absolutely deplorable. I admire you and your wife's belief in your religion to keep you strong and going forward, but I have to ask you what you find in this society that keeps you practicing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 01:10 PM

91 posts, read 483,809 times
Default LDS Doctrinal Questions Moved from Utah Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by golightlygirl View Post
WOW!! I guess there is a lot I don't understand about the Mormons! Bigotry on any level is unacceptable, but by ones own religious group is absolutely deplorable. I admire you and your wife's belief in your religion to keep you strong and going forward, but I have to ask you what you find in this society that keeps you practicing?
The key for us is to remember the REAL doctrine of the church. My wife is stronger than I am in many regards, but we both have undeniable feelings that this religion is the right one for us. You will never find any leaders of the church condoning this behavior, and in fact have spoken out on this on a number of occasions (especially directed to the members in Utah). As many in the church say "the gospel is 100% correct, not 100% of the members" One issue is that the LDS church gives leeway for personal revelations that parents can receive for their families. Many will interject their own ideas there rather than seeking personal revelation from God.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:46 PM

157 posts, read 624,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson84606 View Post
I think the religion issue is just as difficult or more so for LDS from outside Utah...at least the ones who are used to associating with people of all races and religions and not being exclusionary and rude to others. Those that have an impression of Mormons from their experiences in Utah are unfortunately mislead. The LDS church is very open and inviting to others in principle, but unfortunately fails in practice when members try to create strongholds of righteousness where they think no evil will penetrate if they keep outsiders away. One of my wife's associates moved here from North Dakota because he felt his sons were going to get into trouble without more LDS members around them. They ended up in far more trouble than they were in ND and in his own divorce. Mormons will try and flee from evil in other areas and come to Utah where they feel they will be safe. This is why many are unfriendly or if friendly have no desire to make any real friendships with "outsiders". I had seen this in a small degree in high LDS populations when I had lived in Southern CA and Phoenix, but became used to the openness and genuine nature of LDS people in the Chicago and Portland areas where they try to be examples to others and integrate into the mass rather than the opposite. To come to a place where you are avoided and ostracized because you weren't initially married in the temple was a shock to me. My wife is black and has been faithfully in the church since 3 years old, but many neighbors still made comments to my parents (who live here in St. George) that it must have been a disgrace for such a marriage to happen (being that my wife is the seed of Cain). This is an unfortunate and common misinterpretation of statements made by previous leaders of the church (they think that we and our children will burn in hell for mixing races) Overall, we are still faithful, diligent members of the church, but it makes attending church uneasy when there are always three chairs between you and the nearest person, no matter where you sit. The stares and comments by many of the "saints" here in restaurants and shopping centers grow old as well. I have never lived in an area where parents allowed their children to stare at people of other races and make rude comments without reprimand. These problems are to be expected, but unfortunately I expect more out of my own religion with the great leaders and doctrine that we have.
Does this mean LDS members believe if you're not one of them you are basically evil?

Old 10-04-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbee View Post
Does this mean LDS members believe if you're not one of them you are basically evil?
They wouldn't say it, but most believe that those who don't have the gospel won't have the fortitude to withstand Satan's temptation. Many believe that other people are far too accepting of 'unrighteousness' and that indifference is the cause to societies problems. If they believed all were 'evil' there wouldn't be such a missionary effort. They believe that popular culture is evil, and those that live it, mislead.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Ignorance is bliss

Okay, so if I'm understanding this correctly, then, anyone who does not subscribe to the "Gospel" is weak minded and a target for all the decadent ills of society. So how come I see teenagers driving 50k cars and wearing $100 jeans? Or why when the "ladies" show up on my doorstep, they are obviously botoxed, nipped and tucked? I'm sorry I got on this train. I kind of liked my simple answers I had told myself. I had no idea that being liberal was construed as being open to satan. Jeez, I'm having two margaritas tonight!!

Old 10-04-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Okay, so if I'm understanding this correctly, then, anyone who does not subscribe to the "Gospel" is weak minded and a target for all the decadent ills of society. So how come I see teenagers driving 50k cars and wearing $100 jeans? Or why when the "ladies" show up on my doorstep, they are obviously botoxed, nipped and tucked? I'm sorry I got on this train. I kind of liked my simple answers I had told myself. I had no idea that being liberal was construed as being open to satan. Jeez, I'm having two margaritas tonight!!
The hypocrisies are noted and loathed by those who are sincere in the church, that must be why there is so much gossip within the units.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:16 PM

157 posts, read 624,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson84606 View Post
They wouldn't say it, but most believe that those who don't have the gospel won't have the fortitude to withstand Satan's temptation. Many believe that other people are far too accepting of 'unrighteousness' and that indifference is the cause to societies problems. If they believed all were 'evil' there wouldn't be such a missionary effort. They believe that popular culture is evil, and those that live it, mislead.

You mean the gospel according to them or what their church teaches? The reason I ask is that there are other faiths here they may be a minority but they try to live by the Bible and not some other book. Are they evil just as well just for not being LDS? What to them is popular culture?

Old 10-04-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbee View Post
You mean the gospel according to them or what their church teaches? The reason I ask is that there are other faiths here they may be a minority but they try to live by the Bible and not some other book. Are they evil just as well just for not being LDS? What to them is popular culture?
Evil would be an inappropriate term for people. Similar to the Jehova's Witnesses, and Seventh Day Adventists, Muslims, etc., LDS people believe that there is one truth. This was restored to Joseph Smith in the manner of biblical prophets to regain the knowledge of Christ's ancient church which had been changed and lost through centuries through the Catholic church and other splinter sects altering doctrine. They believe that all good hearted people must be brought to the knowledge of the truthfulness of the 'gospel', and that the ones who haven't will be able to in the afterlife. Those who choose not to join the church in this life are delaying their spiritual progression until a later date. Popular culture would be the allowance of promiscuity, immodesty, dishonesty, and greed to drive someone's life as opposed to Christ.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:36 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Quote:
I had no idea that being liberal was construed as being open to satan. Jeez, I'm having two margaritas tonight!!
Have 3 but watch out! Satan usually appears towards the end of the 3rd.
Of course, I'm kidding - but many are not when they condemn you to hell for "being liberal". That's life in the US. We're all free to fear and hate each other at will.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:05 PM

ha ha, I could go a lot of places with the margarita vein, but I will not bite for now. It is true about life in the US and one of the reasons why we all live here. But I have to say Frank, that it is fear juxtaposed us into this unfortunate state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality