Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 04:26 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
how about one AIDS patient? Just one.
How do you know He hasn't cured one AIDS patient?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 04:28 PM

640 posts, read 461,439 times
GCSTROOP wrote:

"GCSTROOP SAID..."If you want to call it a higher power fine, I call it nature. What I mean is this: I have never seen an amputee regenerate a limb. Never. Whether someone lost it in an accident, a war, or was born without a limb, I have never once seen God regenerate this limb. If someone prayed for a limb to grow back and it occurred than I would see this as divine intervention. Yet, God seems to shun amputees for some reason. Because, through all of history I can't recall one scenario where someone said "I prayed, and the next day my severed arm was reattached and fully functional." Nope, not once, never. So, as I've said before on this board, pick a dismembered person from the Iraq casualties report, and get a prayer for him going. Heck, get a whole church going, no even more, start a website for everyone in the country and around the world who wants to pray for this guy who lost a limb and the only thing that you will have is a let down. If you can do this, and the guy grows his leg or arm back, then I'll join you in Church on Sunday."

First, why do we need to go to Iraq to seek out our prospective amputees?? Not all limb loss is a result of war. Birth defects, car wrecks, farming accidents, cancer, etc. (This isn't an anti-war thread.)

Now, your post seems a little ridiculous. If we can show you limb regeneration you'll run to the nearest church and join it? That is the equivalent of saying you don't believe that people have been cured of cancer or that sight has been restored or that someone has awaken from a coma after many, many years. Are these simply accidents? Ask the family members and see what they tell you. Because a HUMAN body can't regrow a limb doesn't negate the existence of God. And you do know that an octopus can regrow an arm? And cut off a salamander's leg and a brand new one will grow in no time. And I'm certain that science will figure out how to regrow limbs at some point, don't you? Praying for cures to disease, hunger and other tragedies is a direct prayer to GOD to give wisdom to folks whose life work involves curing the world's ills. God does listen and in His time, he moves in His way.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:35 PM

679 posts, read 1,439,679 times
Find me evidence of someone diagnosed with AIDS who has been cured.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:37 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,128 times
Quote:
Find me evidence of someone diagnosed with AIDS who has been cured.
I'm sorry, I need to go home now... If I find anyone I'll let you know!

Old 10-04-2007, 05:59 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
A handicap makes one a stronger person not a weaker person. When we come to know the Lord and the love that He has for us, it makes us just that much stronger,because without Him we have a bigger handicap.
I wasn't going to reply to this thread, but glancing through, this post caught my attention..As many of you know, I have a grandson who was paralyzed from an accident when he was barely 18. He had been drinking, his young life was heading nowhere..fast..He was pronpunced dead, came back,was in ICU on a ventilator for six weeks. He is a quadraplegic (loss of some extent all four limbs. He depends on us for his daily bodily elimination functions and exercises. What I want to get across is that Michael considers it a blessing/lesson from God. He feels that God had a plan for him in this life and made sure he lived to finish the plan. He is in college now, He is only able to take 2 classes a day. Never has he ever blamed anyone but himself for his accident. He is happy, well adjusted and at peace with his life...He knew the Lord before his accident..He knows Him better now...

Old 10-04-2007, 06:19 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,575,309 times
That is an inspirational story Blue,I am very proud of your grandsons achievement and attitude towards life. This should be an inspiration to all as it brought a tear to my eye.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:02 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
2 Corinthians 12:8-9 says that Paul begged the Lord three times to remove a thorn in his life, we do not know what that thorn was, but God did not take it away, but God did tell Paul His grace is sufficient. That grace extends to us today and is enough to see us through anything that come our way.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:55 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
First, why do we need to go to Iraq to seek out our prospective amputees?? Not all limb loss is a result of war. Birth defects, car wrecks, farming accidents, cancer, etc. (This isn't an anti-war thread.)
I did mention that limb loss was not just a result of war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
Now, your post seems a little ridiculous. If we can show you limb regeneration you'll run to the nearest church and join it? That is the equivalent of saying you don't believe that people have been cured of cancer or that sight has been restored or that someone has awaken from a coma after many, many years. Are these simply accidents? Ask the family members and see what they tell you. Because a HUMAN body can't regrow a limb doesn't negate the existence of God. And you do know that an octopus can regrow an arm? And cut off a salamander's leg and a brand new one will grow in no time. And I'm certain that science will figure out how to regrow limbs at some point, don't you? Praying for cures to disease, hunger and other tragedies is a direct prayer to GOD to give wisdom to folks whose life work involves curing the world's ills. God does listen and in His time, he moves in His way.
It is not the equivalent of me saying that people have not been cured of cancer. There are people who recover from it every day. I have never heard of a limb "recovering". The thing is, we don't know how cancer entirely works. If we did, I suppose we would have a cure for it. But, regardless, because someone's cancer goes away does not, in my opinion, relegate that to a divine interaction. Sure, people may have prayed for it to occur, and maybe it did happen, but it seems to me that with the enormous amount of cancer patients and the enormous amount of religious people that the chances of a praying person with cancer who recovers are pretty good. So was this a godsend?

And, also, to ask another question, if the faith is not strong enough to regenerate said limb, than what level of faith is required to cure cancer? Is there a weighted system of prayer levels that no one on earth has yet committed to their belief structure in order to regenerate a limb?

Yes I did know that there are certain animals in nature that can regenerate limbs. I think starfish are another example. But so what? Does this mean that starfish and octopus believe in God more than humans? I would seriously doubt it. No, it all boils down to the fact that the anatomical makeup of the octopus and starfish are much different to form their "legs". Did you know that some species of starfish reproduce asexually? What I mean is, if one leg is chopped off, it can develop into an entirely new starfish if some of the inner "rings" are kept intact.

Yet, this is not a silly argument. As someone else pointed out, Jesus said that with faith as little as a mustard seed you could pray for a mountain to be moved. Well, let me understand this a little better. God would actually be willing to MOVE a mountain for you but he would not regenerate a limb?? That's what I get out of this. And besides, I don't recall anyone moving mountains either... but I may be mistaken.

And as far as praying for cures for diseases or treatments to certain medical conditions. It can't be logical to assume that God is giving man the wisdom to figure this stuff out. Two reasons.

One: If man has been praying for a cure for something why wait for so long to grant that wisdom. Obviously people had cancer before our time, and probably back in Jesus' day. And, also, people probably did not understand that it was cancer, but they did understand that someone was ailing from something. With this in mind, it only stands to reason that they prayed for this person to receive a cure for their ailment. In this case, cancer was the ailment, but it would seem that an all-knowing God could understand this and cure the individual of their cancer, or at least lead man to understand it. But, alas, no we had to wait until the 20th century before any progression was made with cancer at all. Same goes for about a thousand different vaccinations.

Two: So by this logic, Jonas Salk (the man who found the cure for polio) was obviously touched by God to find this? I doubt it. If so, than that's mighty cruel to have people affected by polio for at least 2000 years and do nothing about it. Not to mention yellow fever, typhoid, meningitis, smallpox (ok I think smallpox had a vaccination in the late 1700's, but still at least 1700 years late huh?), and countless others. Let's also not forget to take the diseases that are not curable. Of course, we know of hundreds of these as well.

So, it only stands to logic with me that if God were in fact an almight powerful God that could do anything that SURELY by now, there must have been at least one amputee with faith strong enough to have his limb regenerated? ESPECIALLY if their disability brings them closer to God in the first place!! OK, so perhaps there isn't an amputee that had strong enough faith. It also stands to logic that even if an amputee were an atheist and did not pray for God to help him that SURELY someone in his family, perhaps his friends, had strong enough faith to pray for him and regenerate said limb?

Thus, it must boil down to one of several things.

-God hates amputees.

-God refuses to heal amputees despite all of the ailments he is credited for healing in the first place

- God flat out does not exist, and if he does, he is not in the miracle business.

I'd also like to note that although I do feel bad for people in life, and on this board who do have ailments or know family members with ailments that using the analogy of prosthetics to cope with it does not seem logical. Again, why the 2000 year wait for advances in science to come up with something better than a wooden leg?

Old 10-05-2007, 12:26 AM

679 posts, read 1,439,679 times
The reason why I asked about examples of prayer resulting in an AIDS victim being cured was because whenever someone claims they or anyone else was cured through prayer, it's always something that's curable or in the case of cancer, survivable if detected early enough and proper treatment given.

So in other words, if it's possible something could either happen naturally or happen by the hand of man, then god occasionally does it. If something can't happen naturally or can't happen by the hand of man, god won't do it. What amazes me is rather than use their brains to see this as suspicious, believers instead use their brains to concoct reasons for why god won't do the latter.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:28 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
Quote:
The reason why I asked about examples of prayer resulting in an AIDS victim being cured was because whenever someone claims they or anyone else was cured through prayer, it's always something that's curable or in the case of cancer, survivable if detected early enough and proper treatment given.

So in other words, if it's possible something could either happen naturally or happen by the hand of man, then god occasionally does it. If something can't happen naturally or can't happen by the hand of man, god won't do it. What amazes me is rather than use their brains to see this as suspicious, believers instead use their brains to concoct reasons for why god won't do the latter.
Hard to grasp sometimes isn't it?

Not to play devil's advocate or anything but what about Magic Johnson? What's up with him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality