Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:57 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times

Advertisements

Voting for a political candidate is like choosing a pilot to fly you to England.

I only want to know one thing about them, can they do the job.

There is no option for basing the choice upon personal likes, unless all candidates are equally qualified in all aspects related to doing the job. Which will probably never occur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 11:56 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
Why should religion have ANYTHING to do with politics or who you vote for?

Old 08-23-2012, 06:50 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Certainly makes a case for voting for a candidate who's not Christian, doesn't it?
I don't think so. Personally, I think all candidates for public office should answer any questions about their own religion by quoting the first amendment and refuse to answer further. If I think a candidate will allow his religion to influence his politics, I will certainly vote against him on the basis of poor judgment.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:27 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
Interesting enough, there are only 3 qualifications for becoming President of the United States.

1. Must be a natural born citizen (or citizen at the time the constitution was adopted) of the United States.

2. Must be at least 35 years old.

3. Must have been a resident living within the United States for 14 years.

Now that's the extent of the qualifications for becoming President of the United States, nothing is mentioned about any religious affiliation or political party or any other such nonsense, hell, even I could become President of the United States and I'm a Native American.....

Old 08-23-2012, 04:28 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It is just that sense of selfish nihilism that creates the notion of hell on Earth.

If you don't care about this world and its inhabitants, then your actions... or inactions, result in the suffering of innocents.

You are nothing more than a trident wielding in in Satan's retinue except with the delusion that you will earn a reward in the Kingdom of Heaven.

:-)
I am generally pleased to see most people say they'd vote for the most qualified candidate, whether atheist or not.

But attitudes like the one you've quoted genuinely frighten me. It is such a short-sighted, pessimistic, destructive view point. Shudder.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:32 PM

192 posts, read 438,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It is just that sense of selfish nihilism that creates the notion of hell on Earth.

If you don't care about this world and its inhabitants, then your actions... or inactions, result in the suffering of innocents.

You are nothing more than a trident wielding in in Satan's retinue except with the delusion that you will earn a reward in the Kingdom of Heaven.

:-)

Stick a fork in who?

T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality