Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 05:10 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times

Advertisements

It's a lot of things. First I don't think faith is falling as much as an interest in organized religion is falling.

Look at all the threads proclaiming "doom and gloom" and proffering guilt under the Christianity sub-forum. People are SICK of hearing this with everything else we have on our plates. If one is a Christian in this country, the proliferation of sects is quite large and they can't stop bickering with each other as to who is right. It is EXTREMELY annoying. The Bible Thumpers actually turn more people off to religion than they are able to reach, at least in this country. The Catholics turn people off because many people don't accept some of the intrusive inroads the church wants to make into their personal lives, who then become Cafeteria Catholics or stop attending.

Lastly, the very people that are supposed to be exemplary in a religious setting are very often the same ones that are caught with their pants down. Literally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 05:12 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Isaiah 65:11-12

11 But ye are they that forsake the Lord, that forget my holy mountain, that prepare a table for that troop, and that furnish the drink offering unto that number.

12 Therefore will I number you to the sword, and ye shall all bow down to the slaughter: because when I called, ye did not answer; when I spake, ye did not hear; but did evil before mine eyes, and did choose that wherein I delighted not.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:18 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Isaiah 65:11-12

11 But ye are they that forsake the Lord, that forget my holy mountain, that prepare a table for that troop, and that furnish the drink offering unto that number.

12 Therefore will I number you to the sword, and ye shall all bow down to the slaughter: because when I called, ye did not answer; when I spake, ye did not hear; but did evil before mine eyes, and did choose that wherein I delighted not.
A "God is mad" verse in the Bible. Who'd a thought?

Old 08-23-2012, 05:23 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,881 times
Quote:
There is not a lot of a faith. There is a lot of external Religion and hypocrisy. If it's not from the heart it does not please God.

It's much worse than that however. The nation as a whole has turned it's back on God so what will happen to this country is what will happen to every country that forsakes the Lord of Hosts. Don't be too surprised if you see foreign troops on American soil in the not to distant future.

Yes it is a judgment of God. Read the book of Judges for starters.
Oh, to bad your weren't around in 1491 to warn the americans about that.

Last edited by Aeroman; 08-23-2012 at 05:31 PM..

Old 08-23-2012, 05:27 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I'd say because religious extremists are getting more prominent in this country and their ignorance, hate and self-righteousness are a huge turn off to civilized people, thus making those people want nothing to do with faith or religion. As long as the Fred Phelps, Jerry Falwells, Pat Roberston's of the world continue to influence the less educated, religion will continue to be a turn off in many people's eyes.
Well said.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:24 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
In my observation one factor is materialism. Seeking after stuff. Another is society-that is the media instilling a disinterest in religion. It is more fun to do what you please on Sunday mornings than go to church. (I've had that thought more than once during ski season)

5% of the population now admits they are atheist, one wonders how much of the increase is due to people coming out of the closet. Esp in the light that the decrease in the religions was a 13% drop. I know lots of people who believe in God, but want nothing to do with religion.
Yep. that's a factor. My closest pal a Catholic (or was) started to give it up first because he found religion boring and just stopped going. His lifestyle didn't change except that he had more spare time. I guess he'd now be an irreligious agnostic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
It's a lot of things. First I don't think faith is falling as much as an interest in organized religion is falling.

Look at all the threads proclaiming "doom and gloom" and proffering guilt under the Christianity sub-forum. People are SICK of hearing this with everything else we have on our plates. If one is a Christian in this country, the proliferation of sects is quite large and they can't stop bickering with each other as to who is right. It is EXTREMELY annoying. The Bible Thumpers actually turn more people off to religion than they are able to reach, at least in this country. The Catholics turn people off because many people don't accept some of the intrusive inroads the church wants to make into their personal lives, who then become Cafeteria Catholics or stop attending.

Lastly, the very people that are supposed to be exemplary in a religious setting are very often the same ones that are caught with their pants down. Literally.

That's another. While a lot of people are still believers in a god, perhaps one they can talk to, they are turned off, disenchanted and disillusioned if not actually disgusted with organized religions and are beginning to conclude that these people don't speak for a god, but for themselves.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:34 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Yep. that's a factor. My closest pal a Catholic (or was) started to give it up first because he found religion boring and just stopped going. His lifestyle didn't change except that he had more spare time. I guess he'd now be an irreligious agnostic.
Many stop going because they find it boring. That happens to a lot of people who went through parochial school. If your friend was baptized and still believes (most of) what he was taught, but just doesn't go, then he's a lapsed Catholic.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:54 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,940,422 times
the information age is the reason why faith is falling.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:15 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Many stop going because they find it boring. That happens to a lot of people who went through parochial school. If your friend was baptized and still believes (most of) what he was taught, but just doesn't go, then he's a lapsed Catholic.
Seriously lapsed, I'd say. At the moment we are discussing evolution, but I'll ask him where he stands on religion.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:31 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
There is not a lot of a faith. There is a lot of external Religion and hypocrisy. If it's not from the heart it does not please God.

It's much worse than that however. The nation as a whole has turned it's back on God so what will happen to this country is what will happen to every country that forsakes the Lord of Hosts. Don't be too surprised if you see foreign troops on American soil in the not to distant future.

Yes it is a judgment of God. Read the book of Judges for starters.
The country has not forsaken anybody or anything, because, since its inception the government has been neutral regarding religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality