Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:26 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times

Advertisements

Enjoy!

BBC News - Viewpoints: Why is faith falling in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 11:35 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I would like to think that it is because the atheist arguments are getting through and that people are doubting the Bible claims, but I suspect that it is really increased dissatisfaction with the churches, religion and the reactionary and out - of- step views of the religious authorities. Where that leads them as regards religious belief, I can't be sure, but it has got be steps in the right direction. I think Penn Gillet said a mouthful when he argued that atheists, agnostics, Deists and even unreligious theists belonged under the same marquee.

It is organized religion that people are disenchanted with, even though I would love to think that Militant atheism is getting through.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:54 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
I found it interesting that one author attributed the decline in religiousness to liberal church theology (which, among other things, tends to be gay friendly) and the other author blamed the anti-gay views of the evangelicals.

I think the two authors should have compared notes before they wrote their peices.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:55 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Well, now I've been labeled a 'none' I'll take it because honestly that was the only way I would have ever earned that title.

I have not lost faith but I' am capitalist amongst other things, so I quickly grew tired of the church squandering money and not making any substantial positive changes in the communities.
Also I feel church should have open financial books or renounce their tax-exempt statuses-render unto Ceasar... And blah, blah, blah...

Old 08-23-2012, 11:57 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I found it interesting that one author attributed the decline in religiousness to liberal church theology (which, among other things, tend to be gay friendly) and the other author blamed the anti-gay views of the evangelicals.

I think the two authors should have compared notes before they wrote their peices.
Yeah, there was a bit of evident bias.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:30 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I'd say because religious extremists are getting more prominent in this country and their ignorance, hate and self-righteousness are a huge turn off to civilized people, thus making those people want nothing to do with faith or religion. As long as the Fred Phelps, Jerry Falwells, Pat Roberston's of the world continue to influence the less educated, religion will continue to be a turn off in many people's eyes.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:31 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
As the years go by and science finds more and more answers I think "faith" will continue to diminish. Furthermore, the internet has allowed the free exchange of ideas that has much enhanced the non believer's point of view. Someone questioning their faith can get information readily when that wasn't the case prior to the internet.

Finally, the passage of time allows more years for religious claims to go unfulfilled. If Jesus doesn't show up in the next 50 or 100 years or so I think more people will come to the conclusion that the second coming isn't going to happen.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:49 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I found it interesting that one author attributed the decline in religiousness to liberal church theology (which, among other things, tends to be gay friendly) and the other author blamed the anti-gay views of the evangelicals.

Well, the fact is that both factors could contribute and I'm not sure why it's happening. I'm still half fearing to hear that they got their figures wrong and it isn't.

I don't doubt that there are a lot of factors, and I do hope that I have contributed a tiny little.

" A great power has been sleeping here for many long years. The coming of Merry and Pippin will be like the falling of small stones that starts an avalanche in the mountains."

Old 08-23-2012, 05:01 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Default I am spiritual, but not religious

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Well, the fact is that both factors could contribute and I'm not sure why it's happening. I'm still half fearing to hear that they got their figures wrong and it isn't.

I don't doubt that there are a lot of factors, and I do hope that I have contributed a tiny little.

" A great power has been sleeping here for many long years. The coming of Merry and Pippin will be like the falling of small stones that starts an avalanche in the mountains."
In my observation one factor is materialism. Seeking after stuff. Another is society-that is the media instilling a disinterest in religion. It is more fun to do what you please on Sunday mornings than go to church. (I've had that thought more than once during ski season)

5% of the population now admits they are atheist, one wonders how much of the increase is due to people coming out of the closet. Esp in the light that the decrease in the religions was a 13% drop. I know lots of people who believe in God, but want nothing to do with religion.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:10 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
There is not a lot of a faith. There is a lot of external Religion and hypocrisy. If it's not from the heart it does not please God.

It's much worse than that however. The nation as a whole has turned it's back on God so what will happen to this country is what will happen to every country that forsakes the Lord of Hosts. Don't be too surprised if you see foreign troops on American soil in the not to distant future.

Yes it is a judgment of God. Read the book of Judges for starters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality